Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

niiiiice work there greekbro :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

word!

PhoeniX wrote:
Nice. Looks like a pretty smart camera.

I see you can get a Canon -> Sony lens adapter, that's pretty cool to give you a wider choice.

yeah, I like that it's an option, but I like the smaller form factor, kind of the reason why i didn't go with a traditional dslr (wanted something my girl could also use that didn't seem too intimidating)
Also the digital viewport is very useful ...pretty much shows you how the photo is going to be exposed in real time and overlays all kinds of other useful info.

Whiskey 7 wrote:
... It is obvious you took time before some to compose the shot. I must learn to do that more often...

I like to think that I try, but more often than not I just take multiple shots and hope that some of them come out nice, or at least contain an interesting enough subject that I can crop down to.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 08:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Got around to uploading a few pics from my trip to Croatia this past summer.

jesus, i need a vacation.

great pics.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-04-2017 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice pics Takman!

Croatia looks very beautiful!

a 6000 ey!

i use a 5100 and a 3n!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx shaft!

plained wrote:
nice pics Takman!
a 6000 ey!
i use a 5100 and a 3n!

yeah the 5100 is basically the same camera, minus the viewfinder... you do get a front flip screen functionality with yours which was a neat feature, but I really wanted that viewfinder!

guru
guru
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
didn't he come back as Keep It Real?

I think Keep it Real was Biblethumper...wasn't it?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-05-2017 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
thx shaft!

plained wrote:
nice pics Takman!
a 6000 ey!
i use a 5100 and a 3n!

yeah the 5100 is basically the same camera, minus the viewfinder... you do get a front flip screen functionality with yours which was a neat feature, but I really wanted that viewfinder!

my main need was the smaller size, the touch screen focus is very handy to, the flip screen, meh never used it. also the 50 mbps video, of course now with the firmnware update the 6000 has it too.

i have some k&f concept adaptors for old Minolta and canon lenses, theyre fun to mess with.

the 3n is an awesome camera tho even if only 16mp, really handy

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wasn't even aware of the firmware upgrade, lol. I'll have to check into that.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some panos from Greece

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-10-2017 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice shots Captain Mazda. The last picture puts it all in perspective.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice, looks awesome :up: the Mediterranean German Republic Formerly Known As Greece is an amazing country, really friendly people too

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome. Maybe I need to go to Greece...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

beautiful :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We initially flew to Amsterdam and did a 3-hour walking tour and a 3-hour bike tour before hopping back on the plane and flying to Athens—but then we flew straight to Santorini. We left Toronto Wednesday night and arrived in Thira Friday morning fucking exhausted, but we were too early to check-in so we ended up grabbing a bite and exploring the town.

We rented an ATV for a couple days and toured the entire island, from the famous lighthouse of Akrotiri to the Red Beach, through Perissa and the mountaintop ruins of Ancient Thira, all the way up to Oia and Ammoudi Bay.

Such a chill place

Fish spa :D

We got up early every day to catch the sunrise down the street from our hotel

While all the tourists were flocking to Oia for that famous sunset, we talked to locals and heard that the best sunsets in autumn are from a place called Santo Wines above Pyrgos.

You haven't seen sunsets and sunrises until you've seen them in Santorini, just an awe-inspiring sight

After that we flew back to Athens for the next few days, staying at an Airbnb in Monastiraki. We did another 3-hour walking tour here with an amazing lady guiding us. For the next few days we walked all over, hiked up to the Akropolis a couple times, and ate some great food. Overall the people and vibes weren't as good as in Santorini and you constantly had to be on edge for African scammers trying to put bracelets on your wrist and shifty-looking gypsies trying to pick your pockets.

These poor guys have to clap their feet like horses while doing ther ministry of silly walks impression every hour, every day, at the changing of the guard—after standing absolutely motionless. They make Buckingham guards look like amateur mimes.

Temple of Zeus, had to Photoshop all the annoying Chinese tourists off

Our guide told us this place had the best ice cream in Athens, the owner studied gelato-making with French masters :drool:

After Athens we went up to Thessaloniki in Central Makedonia and caught up with my brother and his wife (she's half-Greek, half-Finnish) visiting her hometown. I rented a car in Thessaloniki and we all drove east to Asprovalta, a small resort town by the Aegean Sea. From there we toured several towns for the next few days, then we dropped them off back in Thessaloniki and continued to Litochoro, a small town in the foothills of Mount Olympus.

Atop the castle of Kavala

Kavala

Kavala and its ancient aqueduct

The Akropolis of Stagira

Also visited Nea Vrasna, Ouranopol, Stavros, and a bunch of other small towns along the way.

After we got to Litochoro, I decided we should drive up to Mount Olympus and see how far we can go. When we were above clouds and the road turned to 4x4-only, my girlfriend freaked out and wanted to go back down. I was handling it pretty well with a powerless Nissan Micra :olo:

We also visited Dyon to see the archeological park, museum housing all the original artifacts, and a gallery. The park was amazing, we walked around there for about 3 hours just mesmerized by all the history around us.

We stayed in the mountains for a few days, then drove back to Thessaloniki for the rest of our trip. Went to a place called Macaroni Pizza & Pasta Bar for the absolute best fucking ever pizza and pasta. Holy fucking shit it was good

The next day was a national holiday and a military parade, we were lucky enough to see the Hellenic Air Force doing some impressive stunts from our Airbnb apartment

Flew back to Amsterdam for an overnight layover, but we had enough time to visit the Dungeon, do a night-time canal cruise, and cap off our trip going back to my favourite restaurant in the city :drool:

:drool:

Ended up driving about 1200km across 8 days so the rental was definitely worth it. Road conditions were amazing and not one retarded Indian/Chinese/Arab driver to be seen—total opposite of Canada :disgust:

The weather was absolute bliss on our trip. Santorini was sunny and like 20-25 degrees every day, bit chillier in the night. Athens was sunny and 30 fucking degrees, felt like a second summer. It rained a bit on Mount Olympus and the weather in Thessaloniki started to get a bit chillier just before we flew home so we were super lucky with our timing. Apparently whenever we were in Amsterdam was the only time it wasn't cloudy and pissing rain :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice shots. Wallpapered the octopuses. :cool:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 07:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow. Badass trip. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome Captain Mazda!!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 10:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Always enjoyed Greece, but would rather visit Canada. Can't forgive the Greeks for thinking they invented everything and fucking up the European economy.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol wut

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-13-2017 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great pics of the homeland Captain Mazda.

Will be planning to visit in the near future.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-13-2017 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
nice, looks awesome :up: the Mediterranean German Republic Formerly Known As Greece is an amazing country, really friendly people too

:olo: :| :(

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-05-2018 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Took this while driving home this evening.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks chilly Doombrain. Where was that taken?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

North Wales

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-03-2018 03:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was cutting cedars on my property. Sat down to rest. Was a beautiful day...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For our first day of climbing in the desert, we headed to Civilization Crag in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Rusty striped sandstone eroded by wind and flash flooding shaped the rock into giant mounds like lumpy bread. It is textured like all sandstone, however unlike that of Red River Gorge in Kentucky, Nevada climbing is missing the pockets and overhangs, and is softer and easily damaged when wet.

As a remarkably scenic area, the first pullout at Calico 1 is popular among hikers, who scrambled around the boulders (sometimes a little disconcertingly), leaving the better and more remote areas for the real climbers. The hike in and out was a little disorienting, having to navigate the ups and downs and round-and-abouts between mounds and features. With a limited range of sight, it was difficult to maintain visual contact with our objective, and few clear trails marked a definitive path. The climbing guidebooks merely hinted a general sense of location, so we were fortunate that we could spot other climbers on the wall.

Nevada squirrels are even craftier than Toronto trash pandas! Having gotten a scent of bananas in my pack, it waited until we were all climbing before sneaking over and unzipping the top pocket to execute a rodent fruit heist. Fearless even after shooing, the little mercenary would only leave us alone after we had eaten the bananas, leaving it with little incentive to stay.

In the setting sun, the beauty of this place was revealed. The dimming light painted the ocher stone gold and cast long shapeless shadows over irregular forms. The nearly full moon crested above the jagged horizon. We regrettably returned to the city of artificial wonders having experienced the truly remarkable destination of Nevada in its untamed wilderness.

(More to come...)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 08:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great pics, obs :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-07-2018 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Day 2: "The Gallery", Calico Hills North, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Nevada.

We started earlier reaching the second pullout at Calico Hills North at 7:45, but not early enough to beat the collection of Mercedes Sprinter vans which are popular among climbers who retrofit them into mobile homes. The hike in to The Gallery was a little rough, bushwhacking and scrambling through a gully. It's a wonderfully scenic hike and I marvelled at the strange rock features jutting out of the desert, noticeably red in hue like giant rusty iron derelicts. Hot air balloons could be seen silently floating in the distance.

We managed to get a couple of climbs in early, just before the sun shifted and melted away our shade, and before the horde of other climbing parties arrived. The desert sun sapped our strength and we crawled into whatever shade we could find between climbs. We also practiced a few climbing skills to bring everyone in our party up to speed: building anchors, hanging belays, rappelling.

In the afternoon, we hoped to find another crag with less direct sun. We hiked back to the parking lot where we hid in the shade of someone else's tricked out black Sprinter to rest. Looking like hobos and with little shame, we sat on the asphalt, socks airing out in the wind, and scaring the respectable tourists. We snacked on Clif bars, fruit and an endless supply of bacon jerky. Eventually the owner of the Sprinter returned and booted us from our shady oasis.

The will to climb was strong, but the body was too weak to hike. We bailed back to our respective lodgings to shower and then to rendezvous at a Las Vegas buffet known as just "The Buffet" at The Bellagio. $50 for steak, lamb chops, caviar and everything else, we as climbers with a big appetite found value in loading up on all the calories we could. The next morning we would be attempting the main objective of our trip, our first multipitch route, "The Big Bad Wolf"...

Spot the hot air balloon...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Climbed a multipitch route, "The Big Bad Wolf" in Calico Basin, Nevada. 300 feet of scrambling above the basin floor, followed by another 250 feet of technical face climbing, and then about another 70 feet of scrambling to the summit.

It took us about two hours to reach the top, but then we got lost and couldn't find the descent route, then found it but turned out to be a chossy and steep gully filled with loose rocks and sand which rolled beneath your feet. Easy enough for us climbers to cautiously climb down without ropes, but by no means secure. It took us over 3.5 hours to get back down to the basin floor. In mountaineering, they say getting to the top is only the halfway point.

The hike in...

Starting the scramble up.

Starting the first pitch.

I believe this is from the top of Pitch 2.

Pitch 3, looking back down. About 500 feet down to the basin floor in the top-right corner.

Back down to the base.

Resting after the descent.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool pics. Arizona was an awesome trip. The sights were breathtaking. It was hard to believe sometimes you were on the same planet.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Amazing, on my bucketlist now.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree those pics are awesome, thanks for the share :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Near missed these the posts so just saying thanks to recent contributors Captain Mazda, obsidian & YourGrandpa for the photos. They are greatly appreciated :up: :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.