Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        currently reading....

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: currently reading....

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

about half way through it, very good. set the standard for Orwell's 1984 and more relevant now than it ever was

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Advanced Lectures to Senior Police Officers in Scotland. Published 1936

It's intriguing. Not to mention quite rare.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this thread

disappointing :(

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay then. Currently reading: Viz. On the shitter.

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
this thread

disappointing :(

lol, true

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not reading anything atm which is rare for me.

Was sort of half trying to find some quality shit about the Korean War in my fav bookstore last weekend (for some reason i've recently taken an interest in that). But alas, i don't really know where to start.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From Oslo to Iraq and the Roadmap - Edward Said :icon14:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CitizenKane wrote:

about half way through it, very good. set the standard for Orwell's 1984 and more relevant now than it ever was

Highly overrated. It suffers from the same problem as 1984: it has huge potential, and then fails to go anywhere with it.

Haven't looked at anything for pleasure reading for a while.
atm I'm reading a shitload of papers on NK cells as I have to teach a class about it on monday. I've also got a journal club presentation coming up, so I've got to read for that. Then I have all the papers I'm reading for my grant...
... suddenly I wish I was reading Brave New World.
:icon13:

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Not reading anything atm which is rare for me.

Was sort of half trying to find some quality shit about the Korean War in my fav bookstore last weekend (for some reason i've recently taken an interest in that). But alas, i don't really know where to start.

a good start.
max hastings
http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ko ... ngs_i.html

:icon14:

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp? ... 3&id=16980
Part 2.
http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=3&id=17003

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:
CitizenKane wrote:

Highly overrated. It suffers from the same problem as 1984: it has huge potential, and then fails to go anywhere with it.

mmm i'd have to disagree there, what made 1984 great was how prophetic it was. i mean it wasnt supposed to be just a great story, the thought police were obviously just metaphors for censorship etc and the whole big brother V goldstein represents state propaganda trying to unite their citizens under fear of a common enemy.....(war on 'terror' anyone?)

so in that regard it was pretty successful imo. i think his predictions were fairly accurate

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deception, by Denise Mina. Good so far but I have a feeling it is bound to disapoint me.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just read

The Power of the Dog

by Don Winslow and it was fucking awesome.

Last edited by SplishSplash on 10-20-2006 06:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The God Theory - Bernard Haisch

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp? ... 3&id=16980
Part 2.
http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=3&id=17003

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CitizenKane wrote:
werldhed wrote:
CitizenKane wrote:

mmm i'd have to disagree there, what made 1984 great was how prophetic it was. i mean it wasnt supposed to be just a great story, the thought police were obviously just metaphors for censorship etc and the whole big brother V goldstein represents state propaganda trying to unite their citizens under fear of a common enemy.....(war on 'terror' anyone?)

so in that regard it was pretty successful imo. i think his predictions were fairly accurate

Don't get me wrong, they both make really good points about gov't and thought control and what have you. But as stories, they are highly lacking. Nothing happens in the whole second half of 1984... you just listen to some gov't shill preach his propaganda. It may have just been a letter to the editor instead of a novel.

As social commentary, they're decent. As works of literature, they both fall short, imo. :shrug:

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just finished The DaVinci Code, first book I've read in quite some time. I should read more... dunno what's next.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'i fuck men' by duhard...easy reading...

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A bunch of papers on quadrotor UAV attitude stabilization and Simulink aerospace blockset documentation.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
A bunch of papers on quadrotor UAV attitude stabilization and Simulink aerospace blockset documentation.

someone ban this nerd...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 05:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
'i fuck men' by duhard...easy reading...

many endnotes?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and lots of anal anecdotes!
*shakes fist at rydutchie

No speaka chinee
No speaka chinee
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Antwone Q. Fisher -- Finding Fish
It is a memoir/bibliography/drama

You might have seen a movie loosely based on it's 7th chapter. Called Antwone Fisher http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168786/

CitizenKane, aren't you that dude with the super long silly name? Now changed.?

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After Virtue by Alasdair MacIntyre

Sources of the Self by Charles Taylor (2nd time)

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:

i heard theyre making that into a blockbuster movie next year, you heard it here first

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 08:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just started

Earth by David Brin

just finished

Your Brain is God by Timothy Leary

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read earth, it's pretty good--this is a funny time to read it, too, since they're about to fire up the large hadron collider haha

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beginning Visual C++ 6.

For entertainment, nothing at the moment.

edit: wtf, when I hit submit I saw a big ad at the top of the page for a couple seconds.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgoer wrote:
I read earth, it's pretty good--this is a funny time to read it, too, since they're about to fire up the large hadron collider haha

David Brin's Earth? Because I have that sitting around since 1996 and never read it.

ATM I'm reading Heart of Darkness

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah earth by david brin, I read it like ten years ago right after I read the postman, I guess I was in the mood for more brin

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I just finished The DaVinci Code, first book I've read in quite some time. I should read more... dunno what's next.

i stopped reading the da vinci code about 20 chapters in cos i realised that it was exactly the same as that other book he wrote, Angles and Demons, which i read a few months previous....and also sucked.

some interesting (infeasible however) theories put forth...albeit in a writing style that would make a 3rd grade creative writing student cringe

PostPosted: 10-20-2006 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
rgoer wrote:

David Brin's Earth? Because I have that sitting around since 1996 and never read it.

ATM I'm reading Heart of Darkness

Awesome book, if you want the whole experience watch Apocalypse Now after you read it then watch Hearts of Darkness (Coppola's moive about the making of Apocalypse Now - the similiraties between him and Marlow are astounding).

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CitizenKane wrote:
Nightshade wrote:

i heard theyre making that into a blockbuster movie next year, you heard it here first

Hey, I heard you're a fucking idiot.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just started reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

I tried to read Snowcrash, but all that cyberpunk crap really turned me off -- especially since the technical aspects were dumbed down to the point of being meaningless. I only read about 100 pages or so.

Quicksilver is good so far, I just hope it focuses a little less on alchemy later on. :smirk:

I put down my Hunter S. Thompson for a bit to read it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.