Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        currently reading....

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: currently reading....

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-16-2012 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picked up H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness yesterday.

Been having a hard time putting it down.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-17-2012 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'tis a classic, and probably my favourite Lovecraft story, although "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" is also utterly brilliant.

Myself, I'm currently reading the first novel in ten years by one of my favourite authors, Jeff Noon.
It's called "Channel Skin".
He's obviously been refining his style over the past ten years, experimenting in various mediums, and it really shows. His prose is tight, poetic and evocative. It's simply a joy to read.
I find myself rereading passages just to grasp the flow as he intended, pausing to contemplate the rhythm instilled in his descriptions.
Excellent stuff.

I also recently read Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea", which was enjoyable enough. It's a powerful story told in an interesting style which I'm still unsure about. It's direct and simple, and I can see why it would provoke mockery from modern readers.

Prior to that, a post-human / singularity / contact piece of Sci Fi from David Brin called "Existence". Interesting enough, although very representative of the sub-genre, which is becoming a little crowded at the moment.
The central conceit is an exploration of the Fermi Paradox:
"The apparent size and age of the universe suggest that many technologically advanced extraterrestrial civilizations ought to exist.
However, this hypothesis seems inconsistent with the lack of observational evidence to support it."

An interesting conundrum that the author explores with some neat twists, but overall comes across as feeling a little amateurish.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lovecraft <3

about to re-read 'the warriors' and 'the bag', in memory of Sol Yurick who passed away the other day at the tender age of 87.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Biographys

Too many to list but the last few

Roger moore - worth it

Michal caine - worth it

Clint eastwood - kinda worth it

Mackenzie phillips - whoa i gues it had some value

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 02:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reamde - Neal Stephenson

I would like to critique this book in the form of a one man play:

Me: Ah, a new Stephenson. I'm sure this will be edifying and weird.
Book: Yes, this will be a book about math and economy and philosophy and like, historical dudes - haha just kidding, actually i'm like 14 Die Hards all squished together!
Me: Shut up, I have to stop reading this and actually make a living and be sociable and stuff!
Book: You will not put me down!!
Me: Seriously though, people need to sleep occasionally.
Book: Bitch, i will TELL YOU when you can sleep!

:(

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eminem whatever u say -- yea ok

pat benatar - between heaven and a rock place-- yea ok

belinda carlisle- sealed lips-- yea ok

paul shaffer - well be here all night-- not bad

little house on the prarie nellie book-- yea ok

ice tea- memoirs - yea ok

iceberb slim pimp-- yea ok

and atm i'm reading slash's book

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's with all the biographies?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Reamde - Neal Stephenson

Book: Yes, this will be a book about math and economy and philosophy and like, historical dudes - haha just kidding, actually i'm like 14 Die Hards all squished together!
Me: Shut up, I have to stop reading this and actually make a living and be sociable and stuff!

i have this on Kindle, started it, but couldn't get past the opening bit where they're shooting at tin cans in the gully

Snow Crash, Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon were good though

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Reamde - Neal Stephenson

sounds excellent, will have to check it out. have to admit that one with the monastery really put me off him.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 04:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started Dune a year ago, but sat it down to read other things and forgot about it. Picked it back up a week ago and I just finished part 2. Really good stuff. Not sure why I didn't finish it last year...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 04:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, I also started Robinson Crusoe...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Not sure why I didn't finish it last year...

Prolly cause someone asked you a question and you had to stop and think.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
i have this on Kindle, started it, but couldn't get past the opening bit where they're shooting at tin cans in the gully

He's the kind of writer that struggles at the beginning of a book, most of his books take at least 20 pages to get into.

4days wrote:
sounds excellent, will have to check it out. have to admit that one with the monastery really put me off him.

Aye, that was certainly one of his lesser ones... i still finished it and it gets better towards the end, but not much. Reamde is so totally over the top though, good fun :up:

Also:

Ann Applebaum - Gulag (excellent, though near the end all the non stop talk of misery and senseless waste of human life got a bit heavy so i had to read the rest in small, controlled doses)

Richard Lloyd Parry – In The Time of Madness (Brit journalist discribes what it was like to work in Indonesia in the 90’s, excellent but very haunting stuff. Contains highly crazy stories about headhunters and a genocide that didn't make the news.)

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-11-2013 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plan on getting Damn Few, Making the modern SEAL Warrior

same lad who played in Act of Valor

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/damn-fe ... 1111407492

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-13-2013 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just read a lot of Jack Vance.
Atm. I'm reading 'not to mention camels' by R.A. Lafferty.
It's brilliant in excaggeration, strangeness, brutality and awkwardly inspiring.
I love his short stories and this is the first time i read a novel from him.
A new experience in reading...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2014 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: currently reading....

mrd wrote:
Glad to see this thread again :up:

I picked up 3001 and yes by Arthur C Clarke. First pages have me hooked :up:

Wiki

EDIT: Good read but slow towards the end. 7/10

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-09-2014 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

mrd wrote:
Glad to see this thread again :up:

I picked up 3001 and yes by Arthur C Clarke. First pages have me hooked :up:

Wiki

EDIT: Good read but slow towards the end. 7/10

You must be high. I posted that in the photos thread. :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-10-2014 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

Looking, can't easily locate? Link :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-10-2014 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
mrd wrote:

Looking, can't easily locate? Link :)

viewtopic.php?p=967020#p967020

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Now I understand :smirk:

Silly me :rolleyes:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 01:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let Me off at the Top - Ron Burgundy

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 04:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Er Ist Wieder Da (He's Back) - Timur Vermes

Hitler wakes up in Berlin in 2011, hilarity ensues. Very, very funny stuff :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 05:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a translated version of that?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Physics of the Future by Michio Kaku. It take a serious look at the scientific research currently underway in fields like medicine, technology, AI, energy, and space travel and makes short and long term predictions about how our lives will change over the next 100 years. Great stuff.

Just started Debt: The First 5000 Years.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-11-2014 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got my wife to read 3001 yesterday and although not into science fiction or Arthur C she still rates it as 5/10 which I think is not too bad for such an avid reader.

Note: She reads 5 or 6 books per week and I'd be lucky to do that in 5 years :olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-28-2014 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prolly another 30 bio's

right now
tearing down the wall of sound

phill spector

what a weird guy!

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-28-2014 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Zimmermann Telegram - Barbara Tuckman
it's good, if you're into the whole WWI centennial thing

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-01-2014 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't read this whole thread so hope I'm not putting up something that has already been posted:
"Water For Elephants"
Sara Gruen is the author, very good read

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-05-2014 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Book Fuckin' Owns.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That guy looks like Duhard.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>suburbs
>open carry

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
>suburbs
>open carry

Please don't clog up the thread with hacky image macros, this is for discussion of books we're reading.

Take that Jackie Chan shit to Reddit, it'll get big laughs there.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-06-2014 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's not an image macro. i was discussing open carry laws with Jackie Chan earlier then i showed him your post and took that pic of his reaction with my iPhone. he was astonished that people living in the suburbs of a Western country would feel the need to openly carry firearms for their personal defence

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-05-2015 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has it been that long since anyone posted here :eek:

I picked up the Arthur C Clarke novel 2061 the other da and just opened.
Just wonder if you've read it?

Wiki

Interestingly, I searched here and see I did read the next 3001 early 2014. Somehow I missed this one

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.