Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Games you've been playing recently.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Games you've been playing recently.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-13-2017 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally picked up No Man's Sky this weekend on Steam, which is actually quite fun when you ignore all the internet whinging. It's a survival game though, and writ large.

Dipping in and out of Night in the Woods, which I backed on Kickstarter. 'tis a lovely thing indeed, with exquisite characters and artwork.

Then there's Unexplored, which is really, really cool, but a little buggy a the moment, resulting in one too many corrupted saves and awful performance drops. It's a traditional roguelike, except re-imagined with real-time, physics-based combat, so lots of incredibly deep systems and ace replayability.

And I'll still fire up Diablo 3 every now and again for some quick monster-sploding. Love how much they keep adding to it.

I've been playing Owlboy on GoG, but lost interest halfway through. Should really pick it up again and finish it.

Tried to get into Bloodborne, I really did, but it's just the same old Souls formula all over again, and I really did burn out on that thanks to over-playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

A bunch of the guys from TTLG and I do weekly co-op sessions too, and we've been playing GTA V, ArmA 2 & 3, Satellite Reign, L4D2 and even some good ol' original Doom thanks to Zdaemon.
ArmA's fun but hard as nails in both iterations, GTA V is always a giggle 'cos we're not the best and are liable to kill ourselves getting into or out of vehicles, Doom holds up incredibly well thanks to the wealth of content a 20-odd year old community provides, L4D2 is L4D2, and the real reveal is Satellite Reign, which plays better in co-op than it does single-player, as you each take control of an agent.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-14-2017 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
frolf
though I recently played Civ4 again with all expansions on this old machine; only 4gb.

also played some Civ5.. why is this game so slow?
civ4 wins all, still.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-14-2017 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new Zelda game is great. Runs like ass though.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-14-2017 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much just an hour or so of Overwatch these days, if i have the chance :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-16-2017 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played some TF2 and QL today and it's been a while :rolleyes:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Evolve is free right now on the xbox one. I highly recommend it although the learning curve can be pretty steep. At it's core though it's an amazing little game that got completely fucked over by it's publisher DLC shenanigans. DLC aside, which you don't need the game itself is fantastic.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started playing on a private server for Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst a couple days ago. I forgot how addictive this game was.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Started playing on a private server for Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst a couple days ago. I forgot how addictive this game was.

Are you playing on Schthack?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Silicone_Milk wrote:

Are you playing on Schthack?

Ephinea

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Evolve is free right now on the xbox one. I highly recommend it although the learning curve can be pretty steep. At it's core though it's an amazing little game that got completely fucked over by it's publisher DLC shenanigans. DLC aside, which you don't need the game itself is fantastic.

None of the proposed updates will hit the X1 version though, making this game dead on arrival. gg turtle rock.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You mean Evolve stage 2? Yeah that'll never come to consoles but the original game itself is good without those updates. The updates were just meant to make the game easier to pick up for new people but right now the xbox one scene is full of new players so it's not as big an issue as it was when the only people playing were extremely good and near impossible to beat.

The issue they had was balancing the game to make a 1 v 4 fair. What wound up happening is that they balanced the game for the very top tier players which made the game extremely difficult at lower tiers, especially for the monster.

All in all I wasn't too crazy about the updates, it really changed the entire game but I would have still played it had it come to xb1 but I'm not upset it won't now, it's still a great game.

Right now though I'm like a kid in a candy store. I play monster all the time and the number of new players is making it kinda easy for me. I know that's bad but honestly, before it was free the only matches I could find were teams that played since launch and knew exactly all the cheese tactics to take down any monster making it extremely frustrating to play. It's nice to have a player base that aren't all fucking pro's. The fact they're good isn't really what irked me either it's the fact that hunters by default have a huge advantage over the monster. Combine that with a lot of skill and team co-ordination and there's just nothing I could do to counter certain combos.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2017 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just played some QL Freeze Tag on a Chicago server. Nice to play even at 250 ping.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-18-2017 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rimworld. I had to break my personal "no early access" policy for this, it's that compelling. It's currently still in alpha, but it's fairly well polished. It's also under active development. The last major update was in December [Alpha 16].

It's been described as Dwarf Fortress meets Firefly. I never played Dwarf Fortress, but the gameplay in Rimworld is absolutely superb. It's really tough on the harder difficulties too.

Here's a guy on YouTube starting with nothing [slow start compared to the normal scenario, jump to 7 mins to skip the preamble and setup]:

Or if that's too slow, try jumping ahead like 5 or so episodes, to get a feel for managing a larger colony.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-18-2017 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rimworld's great, and certainly more accessible than DF, but still not a patch on the master.
Seriously, if you have the time to learn it, I highly recommend DF. I am not exaggerating when I say I think it's one of the best games ever.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.