Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        whiskey/whisky

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: whiskey/whisky

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

recently i have discovered the joys of bourbon.

after a foul bottle of jim beam, i got a bottle of makers mark, which is pretty nice.

I now want to investigate scotch. what is a good starters bottle, I dont want to spend a fortune incase i hate it, however I dont want to make the mistake i did with bourbon, and nearly get put off it, by buying a bottle of shit.

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go for a blend if your just starting out.
Scotch is something you have to want to develope a taste for.

Any of the medium priced blends should be good enough to try.
Be safe and go for a Johnny Walker Red or a Dewars.

Clan McGregor, while cheap, is probably the best cheapy blend you can get.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you decide to go for a single malt scotch, if you are ok with the blended stuff, try The GlenLivet. It is a good, smooth scotch.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WILL YOU VISIT...

... THE VALE OF TRANQUILITY?

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A nice single malt to start out with is Highland Park. It's very smooth with just a hint of smokeiness, but it's still complex enough to kick the ass of any blended crap.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ugh as soon as i saw the word whiskey i got sick to my stomach..... too many jack induced comas

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tell me about it. the smell takes me right back to a night of jim beam and coke and several missing hours :puke:

Last edited by seremtan on 12-02-2006 03:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so what am i gonna do with my 3/4 empty bottle of Chivas Regal. suggestions?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

does it burn :icon23:

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 04:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a huge Scotch drinker. When I first started drinking it I used to go with the Johnny Walker Black. I still find it's one of my favorite sipping Scotches. I'd suggest trying that then moving on to inexpensive single malts, i.e. McClelland's. McClelland's is a great pick as they have 4 inexpensive choices from all 4 regions in Scotland, Islay, Lowland, Speyside and Highland. They're simple and not aged too long so they give you a good entry into the different tastes. My favorite region tends to be Islay as they're very peaty and full bodied. Tonight I'm on a Double Cask Matured, cask strength Laphroaig, which is an Islay. Super peaty and formidable at %48 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm up to 32 bottles in my collection, most of them about half empty, left to enjoy or sample for guests. It's a very enjoyable drink to get into, but it does take some time to really appreciate and enjoy the differences.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 05:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like Glennfiditch but I haven't ventured into scotch much. As far as whiskey goes I really like Jack Daniels Single Barrel.

PostPosted: 12-02-2006 06:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big southern comfort fan here. word of advise: don't drink half a bottle on an empty stomach. and then run. it will hurt you

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
My favorite region tends to be Islay as they're very peaty and full bodied. Tonight I'm on a Double Cask Matured, cask strength Laphroaig, which is an Islay. Super peaty and formidable at %48 and I'm really enjoying it.

Right there with you on the Islay, especially the Laphroaig, but it's the last one I'd recomend to the beginning Scotch drinker.
Not that you did :)

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
Big southern comfort fan here. word of advise: don't drink half a bottle on an empty stomach. and then run. it will hurt you

I feel guilty drinking southern comfort.
Alcohol should not taste like candy.

Not that I dont like it.

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
I'm a huge Scotch drinker. When I first started drinking it I used to go with the Johnny Walker Black. I still find it's one of my favorite sipping Scotches. I'd suggest trying that then moving on to inexpensive single malts, i.e. McClelland's. McClelland's is a great pick as they have 4 inexpensive choices from all 4 regions in Scotland, Islay, Lowland, Speyside and Highland. They're simple and not aged too long so they give you a good entry into the different tastes. My favorite region tends to be Islay as they're very peaty and full bodied. Tonight I'm on a Double Cask Matured, cask strength Laphroaig, which is an Islay. Super peaty and formidable at %48 and I'm really enjoying it. I'm up to 32 bottles in my collection, most of them about half empty, left to enjoy or sample for guests. It's a very enjoyable drink to get into, but it does take some time to really appreciate and enjoy the differences.

A couple of days ago, I went to buy a couple of bottles.
1 scotch. 1 bourbon - because I owed someone a favour and I knew he liked whiskey, I just didnt know if he prefered scotch or bourbon.

I was looking at the laphroaig, but I ended up getting glenmorangie 10yr malt, as the 48% kinda scared me.

In the end he chose the scotch, and I ended up with a bottle of makers mark (which i love)

I dont want to make the same mistake that I made with bourbon, I bought a cheap bottle (jim beam) and thought it was shit, but I kinda realised it was due to it being cheap shit, and gave bourbon another chance with a semi-decent bottle.

Im gonna hit the shops later today, and see if I can find something interesting.

Drinking at 33 is far better than when I was 18, I no longer get really drunk, and I can apreciate the drink, not just the effect it has (as opposed to when I was 18)

Dubuc Coat of Arms
Dubuc Coat of Arms
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to drink Jack Daniel’s, Black Velvet and Crown Royal. Chivas has a pine gum taste and I don’t like it. I’ve always been wondering what is the difference between whiskey and scotch and bourbon and some are named whiskey/scotch

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily classify Jim Beam as cheap shit, more like mid-priced shit. (or not even shit at all, very much a good example of a Straight Bourbon, while Makers Mark has a different taste because of some other grain they use in place of rye)

How are you drinking your bourbon? Some, like Beam and some of the cheaper brands are definately meant for mixing with at least some water or coke while others like MM and Knob Creek are meant to be smooth for sipping straight.

I'm advanced
I'm advanced
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dukester wrote:
Dark Metal wrote:
My favorite region tends to be Islay as they're very peaty and full bodied. Tonight I'm on a Double Cask Matured, cask strength Laphroaig, which is an Islay. Super peaty and formidable at %48 and I'm really enjoying it.

Right there with you on the Islay, especially the Laphroaig, but it's the last one I'd recomend to the beginning Scotch drinker.
Not that you did :)

Ditto. I love the Islay malts, so much character and complexity. Of course I wouldn't recommend them for someone starting out, and some people never do like them, but they are amoung my favorite of all the Scotches. I need to get my hands on some 15 year Laphroaig, so far I have only been able to get the 10 year. How long was that Double Cask Matured Laphroaig matured Dark Metal?

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 08:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally can't stand the stuff, bad memories of Jack and also Southern Comfort. My last boss, however, was an absolute Scotch FIEND. He and our European sales rep trade bottles every so often. He has a fucking guide book for the shit with pages earmarked and all that shit.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone try ever try Fireball? It's great when you down it with orange juice.

Pete wrote:
I used to drink Jack Daniel’s, Black Velvet and Crown Royal. Chivas has a pine gum taste and I don’t like it. I’ve always been wondering what is the difference between whiskey and scotch and bourbon and some are named whiskey/scotch

You forgot to try imitating Pete.

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dukester wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily classify Jim Beam as cheap shit, more like mid-priced shit. (or not even shit at all, very much a good example of a Straight Bourbon, while Makers Mark has a different taste because of some other grain they use in place of rye)

How are you drinking your bourbon? Some, like Beam and some of the cheaper brands are definately meant for mixing with at least some water or coke while others like MM and Knob Creek are meant to be smooth for sipping straight.

I normally drink the bourbon straight, with another glass with ice water, however when I'm feeling like a pussy I mix it with ginger ale.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 12-02-2006 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any Irish whiskey fans? I've only tried one (Bushmills Original) and wasn't too impressed. It was a blend I think. Hardly any flavor to speak of, might be decent in a cocktail but straight up it was shit.

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

horton wrote:
I normally drink the bourbon straight, with another glass with ice water, however when I'm feeling like a pussy I mix it with ginger ale.

Well, drinking it straight, I'm prbably not gonna be to fond of JBeam much either.

I've found the longer I have been drinking Scotch that now almost any Scotch has become sippable. The Glenmorangie you mentioned before would have been a great choice to try :)

I don't know if you have ever even tried a sip of scotch before, but if you haven't just be prepared that it isn't going to have a taste even remotely close to any american whiskey or canadian blend.

I recomended a cheaper blend before, but it sounds like a was probably going too cheap. The Johnny Walker Black label that Dark Metal mentioned would be a good first choice, especially if you are gonna sip.

Good luck with that. Buy a small bottle and let us know how you like it. :)

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the tips.

I just came home with a bottle of McClelland's lowlands.

First impressions are good.
Drinking it straight is very different from straight bourbon.

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, drinking scotch. it's almost like you can actually taste all the ingredients, especially once you start trying different single malts. Speyside compared to Islay for example.

You're gonna have fun and have a lot less money :)

horton
horton
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dukester wrote:
Yeah, drinking scotch. it's almost like you can actually taste all the ingredients, especially once you start trying different single malts. Speyside compared to Islay for example.

You're gonna have fun and have a lot less money :)

not sure...I was drinking cognac before I started drinking bourbon..

but fuck it...if i have a few bottles of cognac, bourbon and scotch to choose from, im gonna be smiling.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i second the johnnie walker black or a glenfiddich (12yr or 18yr). if you wanna try something a little less aggressive you could go for a glenmorangie port wood finish... a bit more expensive though.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

horton wrote:
thanks for the tips.

I just came home with a bottle of McClelland's lowlands.

First impressions are good.
Drinking it straight is very different from straight bourbon.

Put a couple of drops of cold water in your glass. I prefer a single ice cube but I drink big glasses of scotch at a time...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
Any Irish whiskey fans? I've only tried one (Bushmills Original) and wasn't too impressed. It was a blend I think. Hardly any flavor to speak of, might be decent in a cocktail but straight up it was shit.

powers

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

horton wrote:
Drinking at 33 is far better than when I was 18, I no longer get really drunk, and I can apreciate the drink, not just the effect it has (as opposed to when I was 18)

That's how I am now and I'm only 22. Don't get me wrong I still get shitfaced but 90% of the time I'm drinking to enjoy the drink and maybe get a slight buzz. Try some single barrel jack ($40 a 1/5 here in Ohio). It's amazing when you just want to kick back and enjoy a drink.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is the single barrel jack the gentlemen edition?

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
powers

You cryptic bastard. Thank god for google. :icon14:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 12-04-2006 02:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only ever hear the word "Scotch" from non-Scots :)
Over here we pretty much just call our whisky "Whisky", and differentiate between the produce of other countries by giving it a prefix of the country name.

If you're just getting into the whole realm of whisky and Scotland, I'd recommend picking up the book "Raw Spirit: In search of the perfect Dram" by Iain Banks. It's written by one of the best living authors we have in scotland, and is pretty interesting and insightful (and funny).

And as for single malts, the Islay distilleries are unbeatable (imo), particularly Laphroaig. Really hard to "recommend" any one as the best though, as it's obviously personal taste.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-04-2006 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
ugh as soon as i saw the word whiskey i got sick to my stomach..... too many jack induced comas

rofl.. same, yet i keep drinking the shit.

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.