Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Borrowed a 360 from a friend to continue this survival horror kick I've been on. Currently playing through the Silent Hill HD collection that came out, while waiting for a cheap ebay copy of Metal Gear Solid HD to arrive.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assetto Corsa - getting into the Sim racing

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like the big anti-cheat update was just released for Fall Guys, but ever since installing it, I'm sort of locked out of the game.

Yeah yeah, I know what it looks like and no I didn't cheat. I suspect it's overzealous anti-cheat software doing something to my internet connection, because as soon as the game stops me from logging in, my entire connection to internet becomes unavailable. Steam says I'm offline and my browser won't load any pages anymore. Things come back online when I kill Fall Guys.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 09:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Borrowed a 360 from a friend to continue this survival horror kick I've been on. Currently playing through the Silent Hill HD collection that came out, while waiting for a cheap ebay copy of Metal Gear Solid HD to arrive.

The absolute worst way to play Silent Hill. I hope these aren't your first playthroughs

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 09:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's wrong with it?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 10:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They are horrendous ports with huge bugs like audio clipping, stereo channels reversed (lol), framerate issues, missing or replaced textures and samples, broken shaders, and a bunch of other immersive breaking issues.
Technically you can complete the games but most of the original atmosphere is being broken by these issues.
Also the company responsible for the port went bankrupt before they were able to release a patch so its a literal lost cause.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-16-2020 01:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go buy a PS1

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-16-2020 04:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both are ps2 games but yes.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 09-16-2020 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely not my first play through of 2 or 3, but the most convenient way to play. I don't own a PS2 anymore, and a buddy had a 360 sitting around with the game.

So far I've noticed a few of the bugs, but they aren't detracting from the play as bad as reviews seem to make it. Still having a blast playing through this game that messed up my sleeping patterns in my childhood :up:

360 games are so damn cheap secondhand. I snagged Red Dead Redemption and L.A Noire for under $10 too. Might take a light cruise through some more 360 games before I give this 360 back.

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan on 09-16-2020 10:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-16-2020 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most are backwards compatible on xbox one fyi...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 03:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Dead Space 2. I got it for a couple of euros in a Steam sale.

Apart from a few annoyances related to controlling UI menus with mouse/keyboard, EA for some reason having made all of the DLC upgrades available for free right from the start of the game (although you can just ignore those) and EA servers not being available for the game anymore, this game is just so good. It's better than Dead Space 1 and while the gameplay is relatively basic, it's just so satisfying to use those weapons on the Necromorphs.

I can definitely recommend this game. It is a horror game, but not really survival horror. It never gets really scary but it's very atmospheric. There's also a few sections with genuinely original gameplay.

I wonder though, is Dead Space 3 worth it? I remember reading it's not really good, but maybe I remember wrong.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 04:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have all 3 but never played any of them.
Will do while recovering from dark souls. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 05:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm actually not a fan of them... The jump scare games kinda bore me. It's like, oh, there's a zombie corpse, well might as well put a few rounds in it before I get close cause you know... Rinse and repeat.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I wonder though, is Dead Space 3 worth it? I remember reading it's not really good, but maybe I remember wrong.

It's extremely unremarkable, but worth playing if you want to finish the trilogy.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-07-2020 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blasphemous - 8/10

Souls-like Metroidvania.

The exploration is a bit too linear for my taste and there's not much room for sequence breaking since most of the gates are locked by key items/events rather than movements.

But the boss fights are a real challenge; esp. in New Game +.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-26-2020 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone playing Hades? Sooo good!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fired up Minecraft and am playing that for some odd reason. Played for 4 hours straight and didn't even realize the time had flown by.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Imagine being so sheltered and fragile that this is what concerns you :olo:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... criticism/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The past few weeks I've been having weekly 10 player games of Among Us with friends. We use Discord to communicate during the voting sessions. I rank these among my best gaming experiences ever. It's absolutely hilarious.

Playing the game with randoms is hopeless though. Used to be fine for a short amount of time, now it isn't.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 03:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Imagine being so sheltered and fragile that this is what concerns you :olo:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/new ... criticism/

I am so done with all this shit. It's pathetic.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a result of helicopter parenting in the late 90's/early aughts. Fragile kids who feel entitled to their participation trophies.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The usual thoughts aside (outrage, outrage about others being outraged, etc):

I find this to be a very interesting problem.

Writing characters for different kinds of media is not an easy task. For the main characters, this might be easier since there's multiple occasions where the viewer/player/reader might observe the caracterers interactions with the fictional world and so the writers can create something complex.

But this seems to be a description of a side character. I find it hard to imagine a way to write distinguishable side characters without relying on existing tropes.

Also in this case a second layer of complexity becomes apparent: You could argue that "Eorforwine is terrified someone will see her disfigured face" is not a statement made from an omniscient narrative perspective but an example of the characters inner monologue. So: Her face being "disfigured" could not be a statement that the game itself makes about the character but a statment the character makes about herself. This would seem to be a very plausible situation that a person with a burned face could find themselves in.

But if this was the intention, the writers could have made this more explicit (Maybe they did? Hard to tell from just this snippet.). It would even open up the possibility to take this further by displaying that people internalize stereotypes carried by their culture.

But yes: I think most of this "snowflake outrage" is stupid. Not because I think the cause is wrong - I agree: We need better narratives about minorities - but because often the criticism is superficial and seems to just replicate a very simplified, tokenized reading of the concepts and works of sociology, (Bourdieu, Butler, etc.) this call for change is based on. But then again: The usual reactions of the gamergate basement dwelling virgin incel cuck neckbeards are even more stupid.

Last edited by Pext on 11-11-2020 11:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 11:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Also in this case a second layer of complexity becomes apparent: You could argue that "Eorforwine is terrified someone will see her disfigured face" is not a statement made from an omniscient narrative perspective but an example of the characters inner monologue. So: Her face being "disfigured" could not be a statement that the game itself makes about the character but a statment the character makes about herself. This would seem to be a very plausible situation that could a person with a burned face could find themselves in.

It reads like a character description for Sandor Clegane (The Hound) in Game of Thrones.
Nobody seemed to have a problem with his self-loathing :shrug:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-11-2020 11:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I would bet that someone did.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-12-2020 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Eraser wrote:

I would bet that someone did.

Perhaps. What's striking about this as well is that a single Tweet by someone seems to trigger a big company into a kneejerk reaction like this. It's not like there's a big public outrage about this. It's not like some activist- or support group is speaking up about this. It's just a single individual who has a problem with this and Tweeted about it. Ubisoft went like "oh okay we'll change it" without verifying if the description actually is seen as hurtful in general (edit: considering the replies from actual people with disabilities/disfigurements, I'm inclined to say that no, it's not), or if this is just one single person's (perhaps misguided) view.

What Ubisoft is doing is potentially more harmful than the single line in the game. They're turning this guy into a spokesperson for a group of people by validating his view and making that view into some sort of generalized truth for people with disabilities/disfigurements. Sounds a lot more like discrimination to me than the inclusion of that character description. They're also validating the process. Complain about something on Twitter and you'll instantly have your way. There's no dialogue about the why's or how's. No one elaborates on the context. Where does this feeling come from? Why is it a problem? How can we (both Ubisoft and the general public) learn something from this about how to deal with this subject matter? Nothing. Just flat out censorship. Nobody learned anything and the whole case is just wiped out of existence.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-12-2020 01:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Given how much scrutiny Ubisoft have been under recently regarding accusations of sexual misconduct, I can understand why they're a little twitchy at the moment.

But I also agree that this particular incident is being blown out of proportion.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-12-2020 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chess... I've been playing chess. So far, undefeated in chess.com I'm sure it's going to happen any time now... I've played about a dozen games I think?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-13-2020 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got a Series X and GamePass, so I have been playing Trials Fusion on my PS4 :olo:

But I now have a nice list of titles downloaded; Gears 4, Gears 5, We Happy Few, Forza Horizon 4 and a few others.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-14-2020 03:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing through Doom mega wads.
Just beat Back 2 Saturn X ep 1.. working on Ep2 now. Enjoying it less tbh but I'm only on map 6.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Just got a Series X and GamePass, so I have been playing Trials Fusion on my PS4 :olo:

But I now have a nice list of titles downloaded; Gears 4, Gears 5, We Happy Few, Forza Horizon 4 and a few others.

I just don’t see the point to getting one yet. Help me out.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think there is a definitive reason atm
If you've got a XBX then all you're getting is better load times and higher framerates.

Which might be enough for people I'm sure, ie following the pc line of thinking.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Innit. But are we ever going to see XSX only games?

Also picked up Fallen Order for £5

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I don't think there is a definitive reason atm
If you've got a XBX then all you're getting is better load times and higher framerates.

Which might be enough for people I'm sure, ie following the pc line of thinking.

It's pretty much silent and everything is silky smooth...also the 4 second boot up time is a nice little bonus.

I sold my xbox one S and my PS4, so I recouped funds which...I guess I have put towards this? It's lovely bit of kit...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 01:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bought a new games console as well!
A Wii U :olo:

Actually, my Wii still sees daily use by my kids, but it's breaking down. Getting video output issues and sometimes it refuses to read discs. It kind of breaks my heart because the thing has been sitting in my living room for the past 14 years. I ordered a cheap used Wii U as replacement.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2020 04:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Innit. But are we ever going to see XSX only games?

Also picked up Fallen Order for £5

Eventually, probably, but I don't think this is what they're going for.
With their smart delivery system you will get a version of the game more suitable for your system. The game itself might be the same on all systems gameplay and length wise, but gfx is dependent on your Series.
Again, similar to how pc ganing works. As long as your machine runs Win10 with a dedicated GPU (insultingly simplifying here) you can potentially run anything. Granted the newest games will run like shit on the oldest rigs so there will be a cutoff point somewhere in the future, at which time they will deprecate the weakest link, ie the XbX. But for now we're not there yet.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.