Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-29-2020 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

God of War - 10/10

Holy cow. What a game.

The story itself, while presented nicely (dad and kid feels, etc), is a bit generic. Nothing unexpected here. And the main character is full of self absorbed gravitas. Laughable viking manliness. Vikings seem to be the new ninjas: A trope to impress kids and teens.

But the presentation of the nordic mythology is amazingly fun and awe inspiring (world serpent, dead giants) and makes more than up for the minor weaknesses in the story.

And finally the gameplay and combat programming itself is simply incredible.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-29-2020 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
God of War - 10/10

Holy cow. What a game.

The story itself, while presented nicely (dad and kid feels, etc), is a bit generic. Nothing unexpected here. And the main character is full of self absorbed gravitas. Laughable viking manliness. Vikings seem to be the new ninjas: A trope to impress kids and teens.

But the presentation of the nordic mythology is amazingly fun and awe inspiring (world serpent, dead giants) and makes more than up for the minor weaknesses in the story.

And finally the gameplay and combat programming itself is simply incredible.

Pretty much my favourite PS4 game, though Horizon Zero Dawn is really close. Can't wait for Ragnarok

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-29-2020 01:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I came to realise the Wii U is a criminally underappreciated console. Super Mario Maker, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Breath of the Wild, Smash Bros, Captain Toad, The Windwaker Remake and God knows what else are absolutely brilliant.

I'm also catching up on my Wolfenstein gaming. Bought Old Blood, New Colossus and Young Bood for €15 in the steam sale. First gotta finish Batman Arkham Origins though.

I know I'm playing 7 year old games here. But hell, I've missed out on playing many games since XB1/PS4 came out and honestly, not much change since then. 7 or 8 year old games still look and play fantastic. It's a brilliant chest of gold to crack open right now.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-08-2020 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been playing a bit of Superhot VR. It is in one word Fantastic, with a capital F. Really makes you feel like you're in The Matrix or something, dodging bullets.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-08-2020 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, to this day, aside from Alyx, I'd say Superhot VR is as close to a "Killer App" as it gets for VR.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-08-2020 11:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gotta figure out how remote desktop works on Quest 2 to be able to run Alyx, but when I get to figuring that out, Alyx is definitely something I want to try.

I'm also enjoying Beat Saber a lot. Between that and Superhot you're getting a pretty good workout :)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Been playing a bit of Superhot VR. It is in one word Fantastic, with a capital F. Really makes you feel like you're in The Matrix or something, dodging bullets.

I bet u look like a fucking dipshit when ur playing...i know my kids do, but ur an adult... :olo: ...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 10:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give me one reason why I should care.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Give me one reason why I should care.

I fucked ur dad...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You really are fucking boring :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
You really are fucking boring :olo:

Wait. Are you calling my dad boring? :offended:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2020 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played through Wolfenstein - The Old Blood. Enjoyable mindless romp. I read it was supposed to be an expansion for The New Order but released as standalone game. And while I did play The New Order before, it can easily be played as standalone game without having played The New Order. If you have 8 or 9 hours to spare, give this game a shot. The combat is solid, the weapons feel good and it's all pretty much no-nonsense nazi shooting. Gonna give Wolfenstein II - New Colossus a try after this.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2020 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Colossus was excellent - did enjoy massively.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2021 01:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finished New Colossus yesterday. Man what a fantastic game. It has a few questionable moments that make it feel like the story was written by a 13 year old, but it plays so well. The guns feel big and fat and punchy, the action is over the top and even the stealthy bits are good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2021 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I finished New Colossus yesterday. Man what a fantastic game. It has a few questionable moments that make it feel like the story was written by a 13 year old, but it plays so well. The guns feel big and fat and punchy, the action is over the top and even the stealthy bits are good.

It's a great romp :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2021 02:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ghosts of Tsushima - 8/10

Good game, lots to explore and do. Unbelievably pretty. Would recommend, but only if the person has already played God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-06-2021 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Concrete Genie - 8/10

Little gem that was short and lovely. I was really quite taken with it. Loses points for being occasionally annoying and slightly ambiguous

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-07-2021 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smashes Dark Souls 3.
Now playing Doom 2 Megawads cos you can do that with your brain turned off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-07-2021 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played the first 30 or 40 or so minutes of Doom3Quest, which is a VR version of Doom 3 for the Oculus Quest and Quest 2.

Such a weird (but good!) experience. At first, I was amazed at how bad and how good Doom 3 looks at the same time. There are aspects that make me go "ok, that's impressive", but somehow it's much more obvious how blocky and square the level design is. Maybe VR amplifies this, maybe it's 16 years of advancements creeping up to me. However, the fact that you truly are inside this world is amazing. It give such an impression of scale which you really don't get in conventional 2D.

And then the demon invasion happens.

I can say I've completed Doom 3 (and the BFG edition) 3, maybe 4 times. The last time it wasn't as scary as it used to be because I knew the tricks and tropes and monster closets really don't pack that punch anymore.

Not so in VR though. I felt physically unsafe at times, in a way I've never experienced in conventional gaming. I would compare it to when you ask someone to blindfold you, silenty walk in circles around you and suddenly punch you. Your body will try to anticipate the punch but not be able to do so in a satisfactory manner because you don't know where the punch will be coming from. It's quite amazing a 16 year old game can do that.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-07-2021 02:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, that sounds awesome. Can’t wait to dip my toes in VR...

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 02-09-2021 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The wife and I are making our way through Detroit: Become Human and really enjoying it. Relatively little action, and kind of a choose your own adventure story.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-09-2021 11:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beat Final Doom TNT on UVMax. Probably not going to bother with Plutonia.
I bought Sekiro as part of the Lunar Sale. Let's see what that's all about.

Oh also started playing Immortals casually. It's basically a carbon copy of Zelda BotW but with personality. And micro transactions.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Control - so far it's fine, though I am not very good at it. I can't seem to beat the first boss because every time and try and pop my head out from behind a pillar, I get some building launched into my face. Depending on how much more I can take of being killed at the same point will depend on if I go any further with this for now or kick on with Miles Morales.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
And micro transactions.

And I am out

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
It's basically a carbon copy of Zelda BotW but with personality.

Do you mean to imply BotW doesn't have "personality"? Have you actually playe BotW?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really enjoyed breath in the wind.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just played the first hour of Half-Life Alyx.
It's good. It's really good.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Destiny 2 - 5/10

Not much to do in the game. Feels like Rebel Assault + Loot System. Most of the levels are glorified corridors. You press forward and shoot at things. Your powerlevel increases.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Destiny 2 - 5/10

Not much to do in the game. Feels like Rebel Assault + Loot System. Most of the levels are glorified corridors. You press forward and shoot at things. Your powerlevel increases.

Might as well play cookie clicker then!

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-10-2021 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

My favourite cookie clicker is a game called "Diablo 3", though.

I found some footage of an early version of the game

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-11-2021 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:
It's basically a carbon copy of Zelda BotW but with personality.

Do you mean to imply BotW doesn't have "personality"? Have you actually playe BotW?

Yes and yes.
BotW takes itself a bit too seriously. Also Link is a drab character. Not a knock on the gameplay mind.

Immortals is a very blatant knockoff of BotW. It adds very cringy narration and forced comedic characters. But at least it's trying to stand out.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-11-2021 12:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Pext wrote:
Destiny 2 - 5/10

I do...every day :paranoid:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-11-2021 02:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

My favourite cookie clicker is a game called "Diablo 3", though.

I found some footage of an early version of the game

I watched way more of that video than I care to admit. I can't believe I forgot that game existed. Wasn't this part of the SNES Mario Paint game?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-13-2021 02:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Control - so far it's fine, though I am not very good at it. I can't seem to beat the first boss because every time and try and pop my head out from behind a pillar, I get some building launched into my face. Depending on how much more I can take of being killed at the same point will depend on if I go any further with this for now or kick on with Miles Morales.

I have now done the first boss by simply using the gun. Sometimes the obvious way is the best way.

Anyway, I am going to chip away at this one and see how I get on with it. So far it's a very interesting premise and it looks lovely on the PS5.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.