Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-20-2021 04:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you played God of War yet?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-20-2021 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I haven't. That's PlayStation exclusive, isn't it? I don't have a PlayStation. None of them.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-20-2021 02:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah damn it :/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-18-2021 03:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ratchet and Clank (2016)

A little beaut of a game - would highly recommend it

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-18-2021 03:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That's PlayStation exclusive, isn't it?

Just this week, there's been news that it might be coming to PC.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2021 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would be nice, but I believe that list also included Titanfall 3 and that was considered to be a near impossibly.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-19-2021 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's incredible, so if it does come to PC, please play it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-19-2021 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally started Star Control Origins, after having it sit in my Steam library for 3 years. They did a great job keeping the spirit of StarControl II alive with the nostalgic feel and fun gameplay.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 09-25-2021 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathloop. Interesting game. Took a bit to grow on me...but now that I've figured out the game's core mechanics a bit, it's fun.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-26-2021 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been looking at that one, TNF. But I think Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart is next on the play list

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-26-2021 12:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noclip just released a relatively short doc video on Deathloop's development

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-04-2021 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm playing through the Quake 1 remaster.
Initially just for the new "Dimension of the Machine" episode, which is absolutely amazing. I can wholeheartedly recommend anyone to spend a few hours playing through this. It really takes Quake to a whole new level of detail and amazing level design
I also played through Dimension of the Past as well as the first three regular Quake episodes. I'm now tackling the fourth. I'm also planning on doing the missionpack levels.

I really enjoy playing through this game again. There's something about it that makes it so enjoyable. I don't know what it is, but parts of Quake still have me impressed more than some $100 million budget games from 2021. It's such a gem.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-05-2021 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently got done with Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
It's a mammoth RPG in the same vein as Baldur's Gate etc., and the Pathfinder RPG ruleset is basically the D&D 3.5 ruleset with a few additions.

It's a very good adventure story with good characters that is somewhat let down by horrendous difficulty spikes, a rather tedious "Heroes of Might & Magic" overworld minigame, and a few bugs.
I'm also not sure I like the party members as much as those in the first game, as a lot are straight-up anime tropes and fan-service.

It holds together better than Pathfinder: Kingmaker, thanks to not having a bunch of invisible quest timers, and it allows for some pretty wild character builds. I've started a second run-through with a halfling "Knight of the Paw", who rides a dog into battle :D
Seriously, character creation alone can take a couple of hours if you explore all the options available to you.

I just wish the people who make these games would consider that not everyone in their audience is interested in optimising/minmaxing the shit out of their team. The encounters often feel like they've been designed exclusively for RPG Codex grognards.
There's also a lot of gaping holes when it comes to hints and tips that explain concepts, with a lot of tooltips missing and a lack of consistency in what's explained.

If you've got the time and patience to dedicate to an old-school, 100+ hour RPG, I recommend it, but maybe wait for a few patches first.
And don't be ashamed to mod the shit out of it / cheat in order to smooth over some of those difficulty spikes.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-05-2021 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re minmaxing, have you tried Torment:Tides?
Loved that one for its freedom of tackling encounters.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-16-2021 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anyone here played Back4Blood? Is it any good? Is it basically a new L4D or is it really different?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-16-2021 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No campaign versus mode is such a stupid decision.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-16-2021 11:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never cared about L4D's PvP mode, so that's not a loss in my book

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-17-2021 10:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its really different which kills the game tbh.
Deck building? Pls.

Also playing solo locks you out from any form of progression, so you'd better care about MP :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-18-2021 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Deck building? Pls.

what the what now?

MKJ wrote:
Also playing solo locks you out from any form of progression, so you'd better care about MP :dork:

Who wants to play a game like this solo anyway? In my other post I said I didn't care for L4D's PvP mode, but PvE I only played with other players.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-18-2021 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Ratchet and Clank (2016)

A little beaut of a game - would highly recommend it

Now finished this - wonderful game. I will get the next one in the series, when it's not £70

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been playing Far Cry 6. I really like it - but I know many are tired of the formulaic FC formula. The voice acting and acting overall is solid, there is a lot of shit to do on the island. AI is a little better than past games but not much. Main issue is that once you are leveled up a bit with some decent weapons the game becomes trivially easy - so to keep things interesting you can at least try different ways of doing things from stealthy to all out chaos.

Last edited by tnf on 10-23-2021 05:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 01:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got a copy free with my CPU and I've installed it, but not tried it yet
It will, no doubt, murder my 3070

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-25-2021 12:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Valve dropped a Half-Life 2 update.
https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-quietly-u ... bug-fixes/

Mostly just bug fixes and technical stuff like ultra-wide support and Vulcan rendering support.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-26-2021 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a video game, but getting one of these delivered next Tuesday.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-26-2021 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-27-2021 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Not a video game, but getting one of these delivered next Tuesday.

Nice.
I own an original 1972 Bally Fireball :up:
It's considered a highly influential machine for it's the first to include multiball, traps and zipperflippers. And excellent hand-painted artwork.
Tho it probably gets more maintenance than actual playtime.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am super heavy into Destiny right now. The 30th anniversary stuff with *cough* Bungie is super fun.
I would like to see some of you get over there and if you and if you already have look me up. Maybe we can go blow something up. denzii is where to find me on Steam and Bungie. Of course after all these years I am still me. Come and join me!!!

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Been playing Far Cry 6. I really like it - but I know many are tired of the formulaic FC formula. The voice acting and acting overall is solid, there is a lot of shit to do on the island. AI is a little better than past games but not much. Main issue is that once you are leveled up a bit with some decent weapons the game becomes trivially easy - so to keep things interesting you can at least try different ways of doing things from stealthy to all out chaos.

I like this game too!! Fun.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finished Titanfall 2's single player.

The game is solid. Shooting, moving, everything feels good. It is a well crafted game. There's a few interesting levels that are really original and well worth giving the game a playthrough.
Having said that, most of the other stuff is really forgettable. The Titanfall 2 universe feels too generic and the story is rather weak.
All in all I liked the game for the €5 or so I paid for it. But despite the sometimes brilliant level design, the game feels a bit flat in places.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 12-14-2021 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

The game is solid. Shooting, moving, everything feels good. It is a well crafted game. There's a few interesting levels that are really original and well worth giving the game a playthrough.
Having said that, most of the other stuff is really forgettable. The Titanfall 2 universe feels too generic and the story is rather weak.
All in all I liked the game for the €5 or so I paid for it. But despite the sometimes brilliant level design, the game feels a bit flat in places.

Got to try Destiny. If you're into Titanfall

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2021 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I very much enjoyed Titanfall 2 - a little gem that had some wonderful levels in

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2021 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started playing the VR edition of Hell blade - Senua's Sacrifice today.

This game is truly amazing on an emotional level. Let's not talk about gameplay too much, because it does nothing we haven't seen a million times before in that regard. In terms of atmosphere, story telling and being emotionally intense, this game checks all the boxes.

It's the absolute mirror opposite of a game like Titanfall 2, which is light about story and atmosphere, but has its combat mechanics down to a tee. Hellblade really should be played because you want to be sucked into the story and drift off into the psychosis that Senua is experiencing.

Honestly, a game like this makes a much deeper impression on me than a game like Titanfall. Not to say Titanfall is bad, but they're two completely different games, and Hellblade suits my tasted just a bit more.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2021 06:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I very much enjoyed Titanfall 2 - a little gem that had some wonderful levels in

I must say the construction factory level is a real highlight in terms of level design for me. Not just of the game, but of games in general.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-15-2021 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you played Dishonored 2 Eraser?
It was released the same year, and one of its levels shares the same gimmick with one of Titanfall 2's ones (DH2: A Crack in the Slab / TF2: Effect and Cause).
They're both outstanding levels.

But Dishonored 2 also has Jindosh's Clockwork Mansion, which is just *chef's kiss*.
Still probably one of the most impressive pieces of level design I've ever seen.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-15-2021 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only played the first Dishonored game, not the second.
I saw videos where they disect those levels on Noclip and Game Makers Toolkit. I could've guessed you were a fan of those levels :) Weren't you a big fan of the level design in the Thief games as well? (And rightly so I'd say). Dishonored 2 is on my "to play" list.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.