Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember Charlie Brooker talking about games as a content delivery platform and that they're the only form of media that puts content behind a skillcap. A film or a book or a TV show you can access any of the content any of the time once it's been released, but story games have their content withheld behind a skill barrier, if you make that barrier too high then you literally deny your audience the content they've purchased. It's interesting, and probably why playing video games is so endorphin rewarding.

Obviously the enjoyment of some games is in overcoming the difficulty of them like Super Meat Boy, but the majority are in the telling of the story or the visual spectacle as well as the challenge.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 09:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Playing through Ratchet and Clank (PS4). Kind of a bummer to go revisit previous worlds after unlocking some gadgets to see that they're mostly empty except for a small amount of weak trash mobs. Enjoying leveling up the weapons though and the writing is pretty good.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Dark Souls

Fighting the camera and awful controls don't make it good or fair.

inb4 "git gud scrub" because I was supposed to plug in a controller to play a shitty console port that looked like it fell out of the discount cart of a 1995 electronics store.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't get me started on Dark Souls m8, it was a completely unenjoyable experience for me. And it is indeed a shame people only respond with "git gud" because fair difficulty isn't a problem for me. DS1 just felt like very shoddy design.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing Fortnite. It's fun, you should try it. Managed to get in the winning team only twice...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-09-2017 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

;)

:alert:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
There's this thing called a bumper button that raises what's called a shield, that when raised will mostly blocks things called hits and prevent what is known as damage :|

Yeah, I'm sure it was my lack of skill and not the surprise deaths, the wooden character movement, the input lag, the backward controller layout, the abysmal framerates, the poor graphics and the 1982 menu design.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 01:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't forget the laughable localization. I paid $4 for that game and felt ripped off.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The difference is Eraser and I actually played it. You have pretty strong opinions of certain games without having played them, eg. Overwatch :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unlike the gfx and sluggish movement, the Deaths in dark souls are actually a gameplay element. It should not be interpreted as a game over screen like eg Resident Evil.

so on that part Memphis is correct, you're supposed to die. You weren't "defeated" per se, you were punished for your greed to farming more souls. In that perspective it's like wiping out in Tony Hawk Pro Skater... you can keep racking up points but it will get harder and harder during a combo. What risk/reward ratio will you adhere to? Getting gud changes that balance in your favor.

That said, I'm not a Souls fan. I liked the lore and worldbuilding they did but as a game it didn't grab me as much as it did most of the fanbase.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2017 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
unlike the gfx and sluggish movement, the Deaths in dark souls are actually a gameplay element. It should not be interpreted as a game over screen like eg Resident Evil.

so on that part Memphis is correct, you're supposed to die. You weren't "defeated" per se, you were punished for your greed to farming more souls. In that perspective it's like wiping out in Tony Hawk Pro Skater... you can keep racking up points but it will get harder and harder during a combo. What risk/reward ratio will you adhere to? Getting gud changes that balance in your favor.

That said, I'm not a Souls fan. I liked the lore and worldbuilding they did but as a game it didn't grab me as much as it did most of the fanbase.

Yeah I get that. It's not the dying bit that was the problem, it's the cause of me dying that's what upset me. Too many times it felt like something that I couldn't have anticipated.

The thing that just put me off of Dark Souls is that I got the idea that I had to bite through three layers of hard to swallow bile to get to the good stuff. At the same time, there were half a dozen other excellent games waiting for me that had immaculate design and were a pleasure to play from the start.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2017 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meanwhile, playing Bioshock Infinite - Infinitely going through the motions. :|

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-11-2017 11:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no idea. I spent some time playing the game (DS1 was a free download for the 360 on Xbox Live), gave up, then played it some more later again because Dark Souls 3 was released and the hype surrounding it got me thinking I might have been too harsh on DS1 but going back to it pretty much just confirmed my initial experience. All in all I think I've put 6 to 8 or so hours into it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-12-2017 06:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The moment you wise up and beat one of those moments is when the game starts coming together. That said, DS1 is probably one of the hardest of the three. I'd almost recommend skipping it and starting with #2.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-12-2017 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wish I were playing Melee:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

replaying it in 1999 mode, Burial at Sea dlc is next.

Main game turned out better than I expected. Bit too heavy on the stunty-shooty bit and while it has an interesting story I feel like they got the pacing all wrong. Basically the entirety of the story gets unfolded in the last 30 mins of the game, in fastforward mode. Also Vigors are tacked on... I don't mind them being there with the connection to BS1 n all; what bothers me is that with the exception of the Crow guy and arguably the Fireman noone else seems to care about the Vigors. A far cry from the Plasmids and the addicted Splicers fighting over them.

Still, when you know what you know the replaying makes the game a lot better. So many hidden layers and connections to find.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
MKJ wrote:

replaying it in 1999 mode, Burial at Sea dlc is next.

Main game turned out better than I expected. Bit too heavy on the stunty-shooty bit and while it has an interesting story I feel like they got the pacing all wrong. Basically the entirety of the story gets unfolded in the last 30 mins of the game, in fastforward mode. Also Vigors are tacked on... I don't mind them being there with the connection to BS1 n all; what bothers me is that with the exception of the Crow guy and arguably the Fireman noone else seems to care about the Vigors. A far cry from the Plasmids and the addicted Splicers fighting over them.

Still, when you know what you know the replaying makes the game a lot better. So many hidden layers and connections to find.

Interesting, I might have to try to play through this again.

I've been kicking around in GTAV as of late.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 06:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having finished Divinity Original Sin 2, I am now playing Horizon Zero Dawn, which while on the uncomfortable slope of the uncanny valley facial-animation wise, is otherwise fantastic.

Playing on Very Hard, it becomes incredibly important to know the strengths and weaknesses of the robotic wildlife, and the battles are great (if a little too heavily reliant on dodge roll when my sneaky plans inevitably go to shit).

And aside from the aforementioned uncanny valley looks of the puppets populating the world, it's an utterly gorgeous game.

Kinda wish there was a PC version for better draw distances though.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm playing Skyrim, never did get that far with it before. Just going full on heavy armour, hammer wielding dullard for a change. Usually I pick a poncy mage.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tom Clancy's ghost recon future soldier, early in
Sniper Elite 4, early in

Mad Max next

haven't finished Rage, but max should be alike

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 12:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea forgot to mention, also going for the scavenger achievement.. lol?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone fancy some Instagib?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
yea forgot to mention, also going for the scavenger achievement.. lol?

did it. smashed the Burial at Sea episodes as well.
I loved Ep2 right up until the point where they felt the need to over explain.
ICYMI: Songbird is the equivalent of Big Daddy - here's seven expositional blackboards spelling it out for you!

Anyway. Got that dumb Clash in the Clouds DLC to do still.. not sure if I'll grind all those achievements. Bioshock Horde Mode doesn't interest me that much.

In the end, I got 50-odd hrs of good gaming out of this trilogy :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wolfenstein 2 and really liking it.

If you played the previous installment you know what to expect.

Nice graphics, the level design is amazing and even though it seems ot have longer / more cut scenes they are done very well and add to the experience.

One thing I will isay is to make sure you bump up the difficulty cause it seems kinda easy... levels seem to have a lot of amo and health laying around, and if you're a bit of a defensive player it seems a bit easy.

also, changing from gun to gun , (also wielding 1 or 2 or enabling/disabling mods) can seem a little clunky, simply because there are so many options.

Maybe I'm getting old, and all these added complexities are throwing me off. SO when in doubt I just usually end up running through corridors with dual wielding Maschinenpistoles.

I'm sure if one wasn't such a paniker about dying, one could have a lot more fun with all the options available.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 01:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My wife and I are probably around 20+ hours into Divinity Original Sin. Having a blast. :D

We’re level 8 and still in and around Cyseal. I’m assuming there are other areas to see? We’re probably moving pretty slow, but it’s fun...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, Cyseal's just the first map. I seem to remember there being something like 6 or 7 large main maps with lots of dungeon offshoots.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bullets and More VR
Onward
Playerunknown Battlegrounds
Paladins
Sairento VR
Devil Daggers
Sound Boxing

Thats basically my playlist right now.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
I'm sure if one wasn't such a paniker about dying, one could have a lot more fun with all the options available.

I’ve only played The New Order, but that’s what the second play through is for. First time I tried to mostly use stealth to take out the commanders and spent a lot of time searching for collectables and secrets. Second time was more fun with run & gun.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2017 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Torment Tides of Numenera.
An isometric RPG heavily based on the old Planescape: Torment game. A unique take on the genre is that you can pretty much avoid all combat by use of dialogue.
That said it almost seems like a waste to learn all these cool abilities that you'd potentially never use.

Anyway, I like it so far. Excellent writing all round. I just wish there was more voice acting going on. Not cause I don't like to read but just to breathe a little more life in the gameworld. Divinity Original Sin wins in that department.

Also, Cities Skylines still. New updates and dlc was just released on consoles fixing most of the problems it had on release.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

in all fairness though, the "armchair developers" comment came from a single developer posting under his own name. It's wasn't an official EA statement.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing COD WW2 on xbox one x on a 4k tv and wow... those graphics are impressive. I'm sure graphics like that have probably been around on PC now for years but as a console player it's amazing how good it looks, I'm very impressed.

What's funny is I still have my old xbox one and my old TV which is 1080p. I loaded both up to see them side by side and my friend who stopped by to visit was sure I'd fucked with the tv settings of my old TV and old xbox. That's how impressive the xbox one x is over the xbox one.

What came to mind when I started playing on the one x was that it's comparable to seeing HID lights on a car for the first time. You don't realize what you're missing until you see it side by side. What's funny is that when I first loaded the one x I was dissapointed. I thought to myself that the graphics difference wasn't that big. It's bit like remembering old games, to you, at the time they looked incredible and even when you see them new and updated you think to yourself that's how you remembered them looking but when you go back you realize how bad it was.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My brother bought a 1x, 4k hdr tv and Assassins Creed Origins. I went over and help him set it up and almost threw up when I saw the garbage dynamic res "4k" 25-30fps gameplay. After playing 50hrs @1440p ultra pc settings I can say there is still no comparison.

If I was to get a 1x I would wait for the 1440p freesync monitor support, I think 4k is still to ambitious for a console.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm that's strange. I'm pretty sure the games I'm playing are 60fps and like I said, I have the xbox one and the one x running side by side and the differences are fairly staggering. I did see reviews of AC though and wasn't very impressed with it either. I'm guessing 1440p is just slroughly .4 times the resolution of 1080p wheras 4k is basically 4x 1080p (approx).

Either way, it's such a difference to me that I'm already happy. As I also mentioned, I also didn't think the differences were that good until I saw them running the same game side by side. My main draw to the one x is VR though. Hopefully we'll hear something on that soon.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 08:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new AC is excellent, but the console versions are capped at 30fps.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-14-2017 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Hmm that's strange. I'm pretty sure the games I'm playing are 60fps and like I said, I have the xbox one and the one x running side by side and the differences are fairly staggering. I did see reviews of AC though and wasn't very impressed with it either. I'm guessing 1440p is just slroughly .4 times the resolution of 1080p wheras 4k is basically 4x 1080p (approx).

Either way, it's such a difference to me that I'm already happy. As I also mentioned, I also didn't think the differences were that good until I saw them running the same game side by side. My main draw to the one x is VR though. Hopefully we'll hear something on that soon.

Played PSVR?

Don't get tooooo excited for console VR. Without room scale, and a game library. Look at PS4s VR lineup. Theres something like 10ish games that are "worth it" and more than 1/2 are on PC with room scale options and anything exclusive is coming out next year (Resident Evil is the only thing I can think of I guess gran turismo? But theres better VR racing games on PC so whatever).

Console EXP isnt the worst. Its decent. But unless you've gone super butt casual on gaming and just don't wanna mess with a PC anymore(lack space maybe, share with kids?), Then I guess get console VR if you fall into that line of people.

If you really want VR, Look into the PC world good sir.

Also, hes right. Theres a reason all of the footage shown of that entire game is pulled from the PC variant at 4k.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.