Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-03-2018 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I've recently gotten back into Path of Exile and the next league starts on Friday, so I've been dusting off the cobwebs in anticipation. But Hitman 2 is definitely on my wishlist. I may pick up the version with the previous game if it goes on sale in the next month. :up:

whisper me Friday.. SoM

or tell me acc

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 03:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.

And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p

Last edited by vesp on 12-05-2018 04:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:
I saw a gameplay video, basically the player kept throwing coins on the ground and the idiot AI would follow a scripted path to "investigate" the same way every time while the player would walk right by their face.

Exciting.

And that's what you get from watching, not playing.
As the player, you'd have to be aware of your surroundings, whether any other NPCs have line of sight on you or your target, whether you should be in the area or not, whether you're wearing the right disguise to be in the area... lots of situational awareness that won't come across to people watching that haven't played the game before.
Most FPS games could be reduced to "I watched a guy move a cursor over another guy and click a button" if you bring it down to that, but as you are fully aware, that's facile in the exteme.

Eh, I finished Hitman Absolution and the AI was absolute trash. Looks like that hasn't changed one bit and I think that's kind of significant in a game that relies on AI behaviour so much.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-04-2018 02:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You do know Absolution is widely regarded as the worst Hitman, and the largest deviation from the formula?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-05-2018 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm also playing through all of Half-Life 2 again :)

Nice :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-05-2018 02:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Κracus wrote:
You haven't played Red Dead 2.

Not yet

Assassins Creed Origins and Spiderman to play before I buy RDR2

Im very much enjoying Origins - its massive and full of stuff to do. I have 16 hours into it this week...which is many for me.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-06-2018 04:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

See I can't stand the AC games anymore, I got bored of the repetitive nature of the game I don't think I've played any of the AC games since the one where they introduced sailing and I haven't finished one of them since AC2. Spiderman is probably similar, I'd like to play it, just to swing around for a bit but I'd probably get bored of it in a week. Even with RDR2 out, I still find myself playing a lot of rocketleague and starcraft 2 these days.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
I need a new game to play, but with no time to invest in immersing myself in one I just end up going back to old favourites for half an hour at a time.

My eldest on the other hand is getting into some PC games, he (7) likes pinball and Terraria at the moment. He was very impressed that my player visited his world one evening and helped decorate his castle (and left a fancy sword in his weapons chest).
Having to consider a second Steam account soon I think, for a bit of multiplayer action - particularly when he wants to get into Minecraft.. does anyone else do this with their young ones?
edit: so minecraft isn't even on Steam? Shows how much I know these days... :p

my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.

Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Meanwhile I gave Dead Cells a go, and I can't seem to put it down. The game is very punishing but the controls are so fluid and fast that you don't care that you have to start over *yet again*.
For those who don't know: Dead Cells is a selfproclaimed "Roguevania', ie a Metroidvania map layout but with Roguelike rules - permadeath, generated maps, exponentially harder each level of the dungeon you enter. The only thing thats retained between deaths are permanent upgrades/abilities (which you buy with collected 'cells' at a vendor between levels) and the increased chance of finding better items each playthrough. An excellent game :up:

When I read this I was going like "yeah and I bet it looks like it was made in 1990 in some faux attempt to look "retro".
And I found myself a YouTube video to prove myself right and... well... I don't know what to say.
It does look like a 1990 game in the sense that it's all pixel art but the animations are real smooth, it features modern high quality lighting effects and the SFX all look like they would in a modern game. I actually like their blend of old and new.

Good job chap. Keep enjoying this game as I probably won't because I can't find much enjoyment in roguelikes in general.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 01:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, Dead Cells is the good stuff. I bought it in early access a while back, but also recently picked it up for the Switch, and it's a perfect mobile game. Really makes the train commute fly by.

Of course, it's taken a back seat to Diablo 3 on the Switch at the moment, which I think I actually prefer to the PC version. I've been playing the two versions back-to-back to compare, and while inventory management is nowhere near as good as it is on PC, and there's absolutely no point playing Monk as there's no control over where Dashing Strike lands, you gain a lot from the game not being always online.

On top of which, the controls feel snappier. Anyone who's played Diablo 3 on PC will know there are frequent instances where you'll hit a skill key and it won't respond immediately.
Not so on Switch. You press a button, the skill associated with that button immediately triggers. On top of which, you can chord commands so that by holding down buttons, skills continue to cycle.

This all serves to make you feel more connected to the game.

When I initially bought my Switch, I thought I would never be using it for mobile gaming, but now I'm never using it for anything but mobile gaming.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 12-13-2018 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The original Farcry and Serious Sam 3

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DENZ!!!!

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 12-14-2018 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

my oldest (of 8) casually plays minecraft from time to time, basically just creative mode. He has friends from school who are obsessed with the game and when they come over he just tags along. He just doesn't seem as interested in the game other than faffing about when he's bored.

We're smashing through Guacamelee in co-op together, he loves it. He has genuine lols over the corny jokes and animations, and the combat system is basically just button mashing.
I'll probably have to do the harder fights alone when we get there... at some point the combat system actually requires you to pay attention.

:up: yeah that's my experience at the moment, some of the "finesse" just isn't there yet for boss fights etc. If it's 2-player I can usually help him through it, but I do get mocked if I end up dying to the boss as well... (hey I don't get to play as much these days! rusty old thumbs...) He'll play Mario on his DS and our old Wii and is not bad with a controller to be honest... terraria is giving him a bit of trouble learning keyboard/mouse dexterity but he's getting there!
I might give Guacamelee a try it looks quite fun

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
DENZ!!!!

Quote:
Hey!! I thought about this place the other day and sure enough this place is still going strong. I am coming back. I have been gaming a lot but not quake until this morning. Having a blast playing Quake again.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 05:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not sure how I feel about this :paranoid:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You do have a ridiculous gamerscore... I think I play more games but my gamerscore is lower cause I don't obsess over that stuff.

Lol... shit never mind. I just did mine and I'm 1% across the board.

Shit I put in 1534 hours. I call bullshit on pubg being my most played tho. I played a shit ton of rocket league.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-18-2018 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still mostly beat saber. Nearing 700 hours.

But. Contractors VR is fun. Really good gun mechanics and shooty bits. Would recommend.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
not sure how I feel about this :paranoid:

Bro, how do you find the time????1

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 08:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit. I’m wondering the same...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-21-2018 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I beat Red Dead Redemption 2.

10/10

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 06:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck, I thought I was done, but now I’m a ranch hand!

But yeah, it’s an easy 10/10...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-23-2018 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm guessing more like 8 or of 10 becuz of the two of yas spastic natures...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you weren’t so poor you’d know it was a 10. lol, having to wait for Christmas...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-24-2018 09:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that tied up everything nicely right to the beginning of RDR1. I'm glad I refreshed my memory on the RDR1 story via youtube before starting this game. It made the epilogue much better.

I felt like I did a ton of exploring but looking at the compendium I only came across half of the 550 or so animals in the game. :shrug:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’ve not touched it in weeks. I don’t know how you guys find the time.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that...

No way you are married with kids...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, only took me two months to beat it. Where did I find the time?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Easily when u have no life...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess you would know...lol?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Its a slow burn. Sat through all 35 minutes of credits enjoying the great soundtrack and watching the clips that tied up everything nicely right to the beginning of RDR1. I'm glad I refreshed my memory on the RDR1 story via youtube before starting this game. It made the epilogue much better.

I felt like I did a ton of exploring but looking at the compendium I only came across half of the 550 or so animals in the game. :shrug:

I played RDR1, but it’s been so long, I don’t remember much. I’ll have to watch the recap once I’m done, or I might even play it again (I guess it’s been remastered?).

I’m like 84% complete and Part 2 of the epilogue.

Maybe around 200 on the compendium...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I’ve not touched it in weeks. I don’t know how you guys find the time.

I’m not sure what you mean. Everyone’s life is different and our responsibilities/obligations aren’t the same...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Of course, this is different than being in the top 1% like some people...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-25-2018 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I guess you would know...lol?

Just remember he has 8 kids who think of him as the male standard. Sad! :alert:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.