Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So, what games are you playing now?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So, what games are you playing now?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-13-2021 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOMA. I've been playing a fair bit of SOMA.
I can't really describe this game very well. Cynics who play Call of Duty all day will say it's a glorified walking simulator. Book readers will say it's a captivating narrative with loads of atmosphere that has all these annoying bits with enemies in between the good story parts. A philosopher will say it explores fascinating philosophical and ethical issues but why can't you just go and read a book?!

For me, SOMA is the perfect balance between gaming, story, philosophy, ethics, atmosphere and horror.

At its core it's a sci-fi horror game that, honestly, mostly has you walking from place A to B without much in the way of traditional game combat. There are numerous small environmental puzzles where you have to find part A and bring it to machine B, turn dials in the correct order and such, which makes SOMA ground itself firmly in the "gaming" category. Enemies that can kill you are there in the game, but sparsely. Each encounter, however, is thrilling and gets the heart racing. There are no jump scares. The game is scary because of a continual ominous feeling of dread. It reminds me of something like Silent Hill, although SOMA isn't quite as scary.

The game is at its best when it makes you think. It offers a number of moments where you have to make ethical choices. None of them actually affect the game. It doesn't chance the story or what happens, but they are moments that make you pause and go "oh, shit, this is kind of hard to just decide on a whim".

You should definitely give this game a go if you like slow paced, narrative driven games. Oh, and it definitely looks great for a 7 year old game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-09-2021 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I bought Transistor back when it was released in 2013. I never finished it. After seeing the Supergiant Games documentaries I posted about in the YouTube thread, I decided to finish the game. So now I've not only finished it, but I 100%ed it by unlocking all achievements (which requires you to finish the game twice :D )

I absolutely adored the game so decided to move on to Hades. It's a roguelike game, a genre I'm not familiar with at all. I think I suck at it badly but the game is very well made and does offer that "one more time!" dopamine shot that keeps you going.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-09-2021 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Hades

Great game! Very addictive loop and it induces a strong feeling of flow.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-10-2021 02:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Replaying Doom3 for the heck of it.
God this game is such a chore.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-11-2021 02:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, I've hit a game breaking bug in Delta Labs.
Go eat a dick, D3.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the game just keeps doing the same thing over and over again eh. Even in VR, after the initial shock is over and I remember the Doom 3 tropes, the anxiety starts fading and it's all getting a bit stale again. I guess it doesn't help that I've been playing Half-Life Alyx in tandem as well, which is just one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-13-2021 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Replaying Doom3 for the heck of it.
God this game is such a chore.

I did that a while ago and yeah, had the same thought. I think I got about 70% of the way through or something then just up and quit and never looked back :olo: Fuck off m8

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-18-2021 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going through my Steam games (rarely look at them) and found Command and Conquer. Just finished some enjoyable skirmish games and found them enjoyable...
Seems I need to (re)master the hotkeys :D

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hollow Knight - 10/10

Propably the best metroidvania? Not sure. I think I still like Super Metroid the most.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, I just picked up a physical cart of Hollow Knight for the switch, will get fired into it this weekend.

I've been playing Diablo3 on switch, although looking forward to seeing the remastered D2...
Multiplayer Minecraft Dungeons with the kids :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 08:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 11:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Hollow Knight - 10/10

Propably the best metroidvania? Not sure. I think I still like Super Metroid the most.

I loved Bloodstained.
Tried Ori and the Blind Forest but couldn't get into it.

Started Undertale to see what that's all about.
Also Planet Coaster.. but that grips me the same as Cities: once I start I don't stop till it's like 4 am and shit I got work in a few hours :&

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ori is beautiful you heartless monster. Difficult and rage-inducing, but still beautiful.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 03-24-2021 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am currently on Destiny 2 killing it. I'm denzii over there too. Also on Discord as denzii. I belong to a clan called Dragons Den. The other game I am on is CyberPunk 2077

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-06-2021 10:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Horizon Zero Dawn. The "complete edition" was (is?) on sale in Steam. It's like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for adults. Breathtaking game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-06-2021 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Horizon Zero Dawn. The "complete edition" was (is?) on sale in Steam. It's like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for adults. Breathtaking game.

One of my favourites - beautiful, rich and compelling

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-07-2021 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's interesting is how I started playing Rage 2 a week or two before (I think it was you who said it was free on the Epic Games Store) and I found that such a hollow, uninspiring and meaningless experience.

There are clear parallels between both games: both are post apocalyptic open-world action games with RPG elements. But everything about Rage 2 felt pointless. There's no attachment to the character I play or any of the characters I encounter, the world doesn't invite me to explore all that much and while the weapons feel meaty enough there's not much to the combat beyond aiming and shooting. There's no real strategy to it.

Horizon, on the other hand, grabbed me immediately and never let go. Already in the early child Aloy bits, there's a real emotion to things. I feel this connection with Aloy and really want to unravel the mysteries surrounding her and the world. I'm rooting for her while I play. When NPC's ask for my help, I'm actually interested in seeing how that furthers the story and what part of the world in unveals to me. Entering that first Cauldron is like... whoa.

Anyway, I jus thought it's interesting to experience these games back to back. It shows how different the execution of basically the same type of game can be and how one can fail where the other succeeds gloriously.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Population: One

I picked up the Oculus Quest 2 around Christmas and it was fun to play Random games. Then I picked up Population: One and I got hooked. I've been playing a few hours nightly with the same squad for the last few months and I'm hooked. The Devs make changes to the game often, almost weekly right now to keep things Interesting. Anyone into VR gaming should absolutely give this one a shot.

Battle Royale style game where 3 person squads battel it out to be last squad standing. Cooperation and communication is a must, cool quirks like weapon reload dynamics, health powerup mechanics (banana and soda) Defib revive of teammates. Occasionally they throw in War mode (9 vs 9) and they are doing Beta testing of Private rooms with some really good room leader controls for in game team assignment.

A lot has changed since the trailer but this gives you the point of the game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Outriders. Godamn this game is fun. At first I thought it was gonna be like a Gears of War clone but I found myself struggling against the enemies fighting in a GoW style. As soon as I stopped doing that and began using my powers correctly I found myself destroying entire armies of enemies in a flash. It's a challenging game too, the boss fights are something special, almost like dark souls with a gun. Bit buggy at the moment but well worth giving it a chance beyond the prologue, you really don't get a good grasp of the game until you've completed your first mission after the prologue.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I really need to check this out. But I haven't even gotten to Wither 3 yet.

For the time being I'm engrossed in Valheim and I only have time for one game at a time. So it will be this for the next few months for sure. :up:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-09-2021 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn
I had reactivated my WoW account after years and years since Shadowlands sounded like it was gonna be a good thing (it wasnt).
Meatspace friends have all started playing FF14 in like January so I decided to take a look.
It's mind-numbingly boring right now but everybody's insisting it's just because I'm going through the old main story quests written like 14 years ago; things pick up from the first expansion onwards apparently. I hope they're right.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-10-2021 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Fantasy IX, Code Vein, Undertale, Dark Souls 3 and Warframe for me atm.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-10-2021 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was playing DS1 last night... It's the hardest dark souls game I think.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-10-2021 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't think I've even played the first one.

Pext wrote:
Hollow Knight - 10/10

I bought this on sale along with Undertale on the PS4 store, enjoying both so far.

Whiskey 7 wrote:
I was going through my Steam games (rarely look at them) and found Command and Conquer. Just finished some enjoyable skirmish games and found them enjoyable...
Seems I need to (re)master the hotkeys :D

I bought the remastered C&C/RA1 collection on Steam, I am more use to the older graphics tbh but I still think it was worth $15 on sale. Now they need to find a way to get Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun working on Windows 7+.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-10-2021 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's worth giving it a go if you like DS games. There's a remastered version which is the one I'm playing atm that took a few things from DS3 like the matching system for example which helps the game tremendously.

Aside from that, DS1 is the most true form of DS you'll find. DS2 was good but something about DS1 set it apart. DS3 was more of a return to form for DS games but it still lacks the edge DS1 has. It's like listening to classic metallica vs their later albums.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 11:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Generation Zero.

Not worth it. Too repetitive, stil.

A lot of potential. Could become something good/great.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 04:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Was playing DS1 last night... It's the hardest dark souls game I think.

Also the best IMO
Sure DS3 refined the gameplay but there's something gripping about the oppressing melancholy that pulsates throughout the world of DS1.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I appreciate that Dark Souls made the formula popular and made the world seamless, but personally, I still prefer Demon's Souls.
That first Old Monk experience will live with me forever.
I was a bit bummed when Sony put the kibosh on releasing a PC version of the remaster.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 06-11-2021 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

That is one fun game! Nice choice.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-11-2021 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I appreciate that Dark Souls made the formula popular and made the world seamless, but personally, I still prefer Demon's Souls.
That first Old Monk experience will live with me forever.
I was a bit bummed when Sony put the kibosh on releasing a PC version of the remaster.

Never played Demon sadly.
I started Sekiro but got distracted.. now I'm playing Subnautica - excellent survival game with an actual plot - and replaying FFX.

I also discovered Sea of Thieves with my son.. I can't get over how well made this game is. Each session feels like a totally unique adventure.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-12-2021 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hate SoT. It's ruined by the fighting mechanics sadly because the rest of the game is fantastic.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-04-2021 06:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OG Fallout

So I installed Q3 like the rest of ya. As I was digging out the old Q3 box, I found Neverwinter Nights and ended up installing it too. Looked it up, and there’s a new version, Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition. On sale on GOG for $5, so I went for it. While I was on GOG, I saw some games I bought many years ago and forgot about. Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics. I’ve never played any of them. So I jumped into Fallout and I’m loving it. Takes some patience with the controls, but it’s fun…

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-16-2021 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished the main campaign of Horizon Zero Dawn. This game blew me away. What a gem.
Just dove into the Frozen Wilds DLC. Hope it's just as good. Feels like they seriously upped the difficulty though.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-18-2021 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-18-2021 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In love with the soundtrack as well :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.