Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        UKers Broadband news n stuff

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: UKers Broadband news n stuff

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All internet connections are going to be upgraded for free :D

You can now get a 2 mbit connection for £29.99

Has anyone got a connection this fast and is it worth it over 512k?

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What, where, how, Links?!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I peed a bit when I read this.

Ima hold off pooing myself until you give us some links

*googles*

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nothing in my mailbox :tear:

I've been considering a move back to 56k as well, but given that it costs practically the same now (give or take a tenner), perhaps self discipline is a better choice :puke:

Edit: However, I did find an email entitled 'Lumbermen' in my mailbox. The joys of web.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm, pipex ain't offering a free upgrade; their 2Mb service is £34.99 exc. VAT :|

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Hmmm, pipex ain't offering a free upgrade; their 2Mb service is £34.99 exc. VAT :|

Ah, crap. Think I'm going to fire of an email to them. :/

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NTL, news on NTL, please tell me about NTL ?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My blueyonder service was recently updated to 2mbit for free. I pay £34.99 a month, which i'd consider a pretty good deal since my connection is always rock steady.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UK crew reprasent.

I can picture the scene if I go to my ISP and ask for this upgrade:

"Computer says no."

**COUGH**

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
NTL, news on NTL, please tell me about NTL ?

ah, jesus. was the edit box white before? that hurt my eyes.

anyway, keep an eye on this topic at ntlhell,

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6840

think i read someplace that current customers might have to pay a one-off £25 fee to upgrade.

----------------------------------
The UK's only other cable operator is due to announce its own upgrades within the next few weeks.

It will see them offer a 3mbps service for £37.99 and a 2mbps service for £24.99.

NTL is preparing to launch super super-fast broadband, with speeds of up to 100mbps.

Keith Monserrat, NTL's director of policy has recently been quoted as saying that is would be "relatively easy" to offer such speeds on its fibre-based network in the "not too distant future".

Others dispute how the company could do it without an expensive outlay and a lot of road digging.

Andrew Ferguson, a broadband expert and editor of the ADSL Guide, believes some of the talk could be marketing speak on NTL's behalf but believes 2005 could be a make or break year for the cable firm.

If its plans come to fruition it could go head to head with BT he predicts.
----------------------------------

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahhh cheers dude, looks promising from your snippet

**clicks link**

ahhh looks good, 30gb a month limit, not to shabby but i have been known to DL 5 g's a day :paranoid:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you are a speed freak then the good news is that 2005 looks like being a vintage year as internet firms continue to increase the speed of broadband and lower prices.
The glut of offers can be confusing.

But here is a run-down of some of the firms already offering speeds of 2Mbps or above.

UK ONLINE
This service provider really took the bull by the horns at the end of last year, shaking the market up with an 8Mbps (megabits per second) service.

It is 16 times the speed of the average 512Kbps (kilobits per second) services on the market and has a £39.99 price tag.

Not everyone can get it as it is based in metropolitan areas such as London, Birmingham, Glasgow and Cambridge. That represents about 4.4 million households.

It comes with a monthly bandwidth cap of 500 gigabytes.

UK Online also offers a 2Mbps service for £29.99, which is available across the whole country.

BULLDOG
Another service provider that likes to shake up the market, Bulldog, launched the UK's first pay-as-you-go 4Mbps service this month.

The service is aimed at those who love the idea of super-fast broadband but do not necessarily have the budget for it.

For £15.50 a month, users will get 400 minutes of up to 4Mbps broadband - which works out at roughly 13 minutes a day. Any extra time will be charged at a rate of 2.5p a minute.

For £21.50, the same broadband rules apply but users also get unlimited national calls thrown in.

Those signing up in February will get six months worth of unlimited time online.

QUICK GUIDE

Broadband

Users will need a Bulldog phone line, which costs £10.50 per month.

For those who prefer to pay upfront, the service is available for £40 a month, or £52 if they want the unlimited phone call option.

TELEWEST
The cable companies have been at the forefront of pushing speeds up and have been quietly upgrading their services at no extra charge.

Telewest currently charges £50 a month for a 4Mbps service.

This started life in May 2003 as a 2Mbps service, became 3Mbps in early 2004 and was re-born as 4Mbps late last year.

There is also a 2Mbps service available at £35, and Telewest is keen to stress that, unlike some ADSL providers, there is no monthly bandwidth cap.

NTL
The UK's only other cable operator is due to announce its own upgrades within the next few weeks.

It will see them offer a 3Mbps service for £37.99 and a 2Mbps service for £24.99.

It is understood that the two new services will have a 45 gigabyte and 30 gigabyte usage allowance.

NTL is preparing to launch super super-fast broadband, with speeds of up to 100Mbps.

Keith Monserrat, NTL's director of policy has recently been quoted as saying that is would be "relatively easy" to offer such speeds on its fibre-based network in the "not too distant future".

Others dispute how the company could do it without an expensive outlay and a lot of road digging.

Andrew Ferguson, a broadband expert and editor of the ADSL Guide, believes some of the talk could be marketing speak on NTL's behalf but believes 2005 could be a make or break year for the cable firm.

If its plans come to fruition it could go head to head with BT he predicts.

AOL
Not to be outdone, AOL has just announced its own upgrade for customers. Those who previously paid £29.99 a month for a 1mbps service will have that doubled as of Valentine's day.

BT
BT has announced it will double download speeds for most customers - offering 2Mbps - from 17 February, at no extra charge.

In April the telco will begin a trial of an 8Mbps service with an expected launch in the autumn. That service would then be on offer to other ISPs to use and sell to customers.

It will also be trialling its ADSL 2+ service, which offers up to 20Mbps, at some point this year with products available in 2006, predicts Jupiter analyst Ian Fogg.

PlusNet
PlusNet announced this month a 2Mbps service for £14.99 but it does come with a one gigabyte a month usage allowance.

Users can pay an extra £1.50 for every extra gigabyte they require.

For uncapped use, customers have to pay £39.99 per month.

ECLIPSE
Eclipse broadband offers a 2Mbps service, for £14.99.

There is a one gigabyte per month usage limit but extra bandwidth can be bought for £1.75 per extra gigabyte.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4247133.stm

Im getting UK Online in a few days
2mbps a sec for an extra £2
And upto 200 meg webspace :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

*points and laughs uncontrolably*

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

56k rawks!!! :paranoid:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dmmh wrote:
Quote:

*points and laughs uncontrolably*

This is the UK dutch0
2mbit a second is like SUPAH DUPAH

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Things are finally looking up for me too! I was on 512 kbps for about 8 months, and then changed ISPs and got a 1.5 mbps plan. Now, my current ISP is updating the local exchanges with its own DSLAMs, so I could potentially move up to 1.5 - 8 mbps plan (varies according to usage). Which is pretty fucking neat.

Only thing is, I have to use them as my phone provider too, and their rates are pretty crap =/

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woot!

oh wait..
Quote:
It is understood that the two new services will have a 45 gigabyte and 30 gigabyte usage allowance.

is that per month?

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 02-13-2005 07:07 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
woot!

oh wait..
Quote:

is that per month?

yer, sucks dun it

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's fucking stupid, this connection is shared between 4 people, we easily use that in a fortnight.

PostPosted: 02-13-2005 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have unlimited bandwidth 6.5/900 here for $70 CAD/month (32 quid).

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting 2mpbs a sec for £29.99 a month
500 gig a month limit.
winner.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Someone post a bandwidth tester

And can we get faster than 2mb at home in the UK? I'm gonna need one fat bastard of a pipe soon

you can get 8mb
but u need 2 b in london
2mb is quck as ur gettin it round here mate
when u gettin ur place?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ntl got the 3mg for 38 a amnth

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah yes, cable :D

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nerds.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fat prat

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.