Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        the freedom of information act

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: the freedom of information act

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

come into act at the beginning of this year, this laws pretty awesome

the council fucked my wall up about a yr ago, so they made a new one, i felt the wall was built atleast a foot closer but as i had no 'photographic evidence' they shunned me off and said the wall was definately not built closer by any margin (i have letters off them stating this)

anyway i go up to the office, say give me the documents, they gave me the documents

and im nutorious :D also it says clearly that the 2 sections of the council should gang up on me, stick together, keep me in the dark and that the survey report clearly stated that the wall was built a foot n half closer due to a drainage pipe blocking contruction

fucking wankers, ima stab them when i get my hands on the cunts >:E

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's called compensation, grab some :icon32:

(Where's :up: ?!?!?!)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right by here :up: :D

an gunna phone them tomorrow and see what they say, i want something in return for my fucking lost space and the amount of bullshit they fed me tho

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the law means that no company can withold information from you, even if its small or really important, your entitled to it

so if anyone from the UK gets the line 'sorry sir we cannot give your this info'

just say by law under the freedom of information act you have to

they cant do sod all about it :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the specifics of the wall... is it your wall on your land, and how did they knock it down?

If it's their wall, and it was rebuilt onto your land, they've contravened their own planning permission stuff, I'd wager.

If it's your wall, dunno what you can do... but since walls have some special significance as 'land boundaries' you could contest that they've moved your land boundary... perhaps have them move the wall or such?

Dunno much about planning and that, but I've worked for an architect in York, and he'll give me 10 mins of his time if you need infos :)

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why would they lie about it if it was for a valid reason ?!?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
the law means that no company can withold information from you, even if its small or really important, your entitled to it

so if anyone from the UK gets the line 'sorry sir we cannot give your this info'

My understanding is the FOI act only pertains to Public Bodies... so councils, the gov, skoolz and shit like that.... (mental note: try this on the bin men)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

signa wrote:
why would they lie about it if it was for a valid reason ?!?

It's not a valid reason, the way I read it. It would have meant more work to place the wall back where it should have been, and they shied away from doing the neccesary stuffs.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nah, upto the wall is my land, the wall is also mine... the council recently built up a road which used my wall as a supporting wall when it wasnt a stress bearing wall... the wall got fucked up they accepted it was theyre mistake and that they would rebuild my wall

when completed i knew the wall was a foot closer because the metal grate they took off was overlaping by a foot.... but the council was like, nah, its because we angled that section of the wall differently and it is by no means any closer than the previous wall

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

My understanding is the FOI act only pertains to Public Bodies... so councils, the gov, skoolz and shit like that.... (mental note: try this on the bin men)

nah, companys to, i recently obtained all my disciplinary statements off my company which they previously denied me access to :D

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The pedant in me screams:

That's the Data Protection (DPA) Act which allows for general acuisition of personal data. It's been around since 1998. Was used by Mark Thomas for all kinds of mischeivery a couple of years back.

The FOI extends similar rights to public bodies, which weren't covered by the DOA.

There's also another one for Environmental agencies.. can't remember the TLA for that though LOL ROFL OMG Hi2U.

BBL!

EDIT: This raises an interesting question... if institutions and such can't withhold information from me, does that mean I can obtain all my tutors private correspondance, assignment marking literature, and other such internal data from my university? If so, wow... that could really rock the boat.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o shit, lol

well with my company i said can i have the documents, they said no... come the new year i said im entitled them by the FOI

either way i was allowed them anyway :)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

EDIT: This raises an interesting question... if institutions and such can't withhold information from me, does that mean I can obtain all my tutors private correspondance, assignment marking literature, and other such internal data from my university? If so, wow... that could really rock the boat.

why not :shrug:

either way its worth a shot

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
nah, companys to, i recently obtained all my disciplinary statements off my company which they previously denied me access to :D
I'm pretty sure that in no country in the world, companies have to give you any information you want (or at all). Try it out, go to a company and ask some in-depth questions about their accounting procedures or management compensation. I bet they'll educate you about any 'Freedom of information act'.
They probably just gave it to you for some other reason. (Like nobody giving a fuck)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o yer, when you said perhaps they would move the wall or such

i dont particulary want to go through that again, last time they done it it took them 6 months and cracked the house to shit, but they fixed all that (after a shitload of persuation and time)

cost them 40k to build it, which i was quite shocked about lol, something to do with reinforcing it as a supporting wall and having to dig X amount deep n stuff :shrug:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in no country in the world, companies have to give you any information you want (or at all). Try it out, go to a company and ask some in-depth questions about their accounting procedures or management compensation. I bet they'll educate you about any 'Freedom of information act'.
They probably just gave it to you for some other reason. (Like nobody giving a fuck)

i dunno, but i know the information has to be about me (or you) personally... i mean i couldnt march into a coorperate head and say give me all your employees names and details

also, hiya foo, missed you loads :)

Last edited by losCHUNK on 02-11-2005 02:13 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Chunk's not saying that they have to give you any information that you want, but under UK law they do have to provide any information they hold about you as an individual, and not doing so is in breach of UK law.

See here: http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah as someone who works for local government I can say this law sucks. We can no longer send emails to each slagging off a member of the public incase they ask to see the emails.

So now we all have to be nice and polite. "Mrs Bailey called again and has explained that her refuse has not been collected again. Please can you ensure the operatives return ASAP and maintain the correct colleting schedules".

Whereas before the new year this would have been "That fucking old bag Bailey called again, whinging that her refuse wasn't collected. Can someone go round there immediately and shove her refuse up her piss stained old arse"

Such a shame.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, aye i seen the e mails aswell

i thought i was being quite reasonable, i mean wars have probaly kicked off over a foot of land and all i was doing is saying 'now are you sure that wall isnt closer' with them saying 'no, definately not' when they got it in writing that it is >:E

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.