Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        why do so many black ppl pronounce "th" as "f

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: why do so many black ppl pronounce "th" as "f

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

like will smith in independence day when he said "welcome to planet earf" to the alien after he uh punched it...

is the an "f" gene in black americans from africa or what the story?

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The can't pronounce well because they spoke in a much different and brute language before.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

before what? did they say earf 100 years ago? can u verify?

PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before the Europeans carried them to America as slaves.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so they say earf type shit in africa? i doubt it...it seems to only be blacks in america from africa...africans who live in africa or outside the us don't say "earf" much...i think...

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

White people speak like this, Black people speak like this.

confirm/deny?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
so they say earf type shit in africa? i doubt it...it seems to only be blacks in america from africa...africans who live in africa or outside the us don't say "earf" much...i think...

lol. how the fuck would you know?

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People from Essex speak like that. Most of them are chavs, and therefore cannot possibly be black.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

uh...becuz when i listen to them talk...i don't here earf type dialects...u don't get out much?

Knight of the Sad Countenance
Knight of the Sad Countenance
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Curiouser and Curiouser
Curiouser and Curiouser
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:
People from Essex speak like that. Most of them are chavs, and therefore cannot possibly be black.
Well, yes, Cockneys speak that way. sys0p says my name with an f sound for the th.

:paranoid:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
Quote:

uh...becuz when i listen to them talk...i don't here earf type dialects...u don't get out much?

You talk to people in Africa a lot?

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a belly button.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

say beer can

say it 3 times

now say it 3 times really fast

congratulation you have just learned how to say bacon in jamaican

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

Before Africans sold them to the Europeans that shipped them to America and were sold into many professions, including prostitution and manual labor slavery.

No white ever cries about all the whites that the Nubians had as slaves.

cross-threaded
cross-threaded
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:

is the an "f" gene in black americans from africa or what the story?

...you know if there were hooks on that post you could have wiped out an entire species...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To most linguists AAVE (African American Vernacular English) is one of the dialects of American English, historically most closely related to forms of Southern speech but with differences attributable both to the linguistic history of slaves and to generations of social isolation. (For a linguist, to describe something as a dialect is not to say that it is inferior; everybody speaks a dialect.)

And some people say that while AAVE has the superficial trappings of English, at its structural core it is a continuation or amalgam of one or more west African languages.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It all depends on the area and the people the person grew up with, most black people don't acctually say earf.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
And some people say that while AAVE has the superficial trappings of English, at its structural core it is a continuation or amalgam of one or more west African languages.
I'd like to read more about that.

PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

As would I. You would think the supression of native black languages over the centuries in the US would have greatly reduced the influence of those languages on current AAVE.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedi ... ar-English

# The most distinguishing feature of AAVE is the use of forms of be to mark aspect in verb phrases. The use or lack of a form of be can indicate whether or not the performance of the verb is of a habitual nature. In SAE, this can only be expressed using adverbs such as usually. The invariant use of be is used to describe a habitual action. For example He be eating rice (= "he eats rice regularly/frequently/habitually") versus He eating rice (= "he is eating rice right now"). This may be derived from creole dialects which use does be similarly, common in Gullah, Guyana, Trinidad and Barbados. The word steady can also be added as an intensifier to form the present intensive habitual progressive. Example: He be steady preaching (="He is often/habitually/usually preaching in an intensive, sustained manner").

http://www.cal.org/ebonics/wolfram.html

# The Separate Language Issue Resolution Statement: "African Language Systems have origins in West and Niger-Congo [African] languages and are not merely dialects of English."

Popular Interpretation: Ebonics is a separate language.

Linguistic Understanding: Language varieties may be comprised of components from different languages and dialects of English; language and dialect exist on a continuum.

# The African Base Issue Resolution Statement: "...recognizes the existence and the cultural and historic bases of West and Niger-Congo African Language Systems, and these are the language patterns that many AfricanAmerican students bring to school"

Popular Interpretation: Ebonicsis an African language.

Linguistic Understanding: Language varieties may fuse different language donor sources in the formation of a distinct variety;this is natural and widespread. One hypothesis on the origin of AfricanAmerican English posits a link with creoles found in the African diaspora(e.g. Sierra Leone Krio, Jamaican Creole, Gullah).

couple of things i found

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

Before Africans sold them to the Europeans that shipped them to America and were sold into many professions, including prostitution and manual labor slavery.

No white ever cries about all the whites that the Nubians had as slaves.

you know what, i think you should go fuck yourself then blow a shitload of money on crack, then fuck yourself over so much, get your ass ponded by 50 black guys and run up your arms street

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not just black people that pronounce like this. A lot of white people do too. Casedogg is one that comes to mind.
Maybe its an infectious desease that the CDC should look into :dork:

You should see what they did to the US constitution :icon28: :icon28:

Quote:
We tha People of tha United States, in Killa ta fizzy a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquilizzle provide fo' tha common defence, promote tha general Welfare, n secure tha Bless'n of Liberty ta ourselves n our Posterizzles do ordain n establish this Constitizzles fo' tha United States of America doggystyle.

Article. I.
Section 1.
All legislative Pimp herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of tha United States, whizzay shizzay consist of a Senate n Hizouse of Representatizzles mah nizzle.

Section. 2.
Clause 1: The Hizouse of Representatizzles shizzall be composed of Hustla chosen every second Year by tha People of tha several States, n tha Electors in each State shiznall have tha Qualifizzles requisite fo' Electors of tha mizzle numerous Branch of tha State Legislature . Keep the party crackin while I'm steady rappin'.

Clause 2: No Person shiznall be a Representative who shall not have attained ta tha Age of twenty five Years, n been seven Years a Citizen of tha United States, n who shiznall nizzay whiznen elected, be an Inhabitant of thiznat State in whizzay he shall be chosen.

Clause 3 fo yo bitch ass: Representatizzles n direct Taxes shall be apportioned among tha several States which may be included witin this Union, accord'n ta they respective Playa whiznich shiznall be determined by add'n ta tha whole Numba of fizzle Persons, includ'n those bound ta Service fo' a Term of Years, n exclud'n Indians not taxed, three fifths of all pimp Persons to increase tha peace. (See Note 2) The actual Enumerizzle S-H-to-tha-izzall be made witin three Years brotha tha first Meet'n of tha Congress of tha United States, n witin every subsequent Tizzle of ten Years, in sizzay Playa as they shiznall by Law direct. The Numba of Representatizzles shall not exceed one fo' every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representatizzle n until siznuch enumizzle shizzall be made, tha State of New Hampshire shall be entitled ta chuse three, Massachizzles eight, Rhode-Island n Providence Plantations one, Connectizzles five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, n Georgia three.

Clause 4 cuz Im tha Double O G: When vacancies happen in tha Representizzles fizzle any State, tha Executive Authority thereof shiznall issue Writs of Election ta fizzle siznuch Vacancies to increase tha peace.

Clause 5: The Hizouse of Representatizzles shall chuse they Speaka n otha Gangsta n shiznall have tha sole [LOL RACISM] of Impeachment.

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn! :icon19: :icon14:

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 07:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canidae wrote:
insert retarded snoop dogg slang

:icon27:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.