Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a simple matter of economics: you don't provision for the Day 1 spike of everyone trying to login immediately after the game goes live, you provision for your long term usage estimates. This is a business, and it exists for one sole reason: to make money. They are going to increase revenue and decrease costs in any and every imaginable way. One method of cost reduction is to not over provision servers. Clearly, in their mind, a bit of grumbling and congestion on Day 1 is worth not over provisioning their servers.

I guarantee this will blow over in a day [or two, at most] and no one's going to care once it gets stable and people all across the world aren't trying to login simultaneously. People were staying up until 3 AM on the US East Coast just to login as soon as it went live. Do you think this is going to happen every day?

If anyone was expecting a silky smooth experience within minutes of the game going live, I don't what to say aside from that you are monumentally naive/delusional.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a simple matter of economics: you don't provision for the Day 1 spike of everyone trying to login immediately after the game goes live, you provision for your long term usage estimates.

that's exactly what I was about to say, totally agree and it makes sense. :up:

however, i guess having set a deal for some temporary extra load capacity could have been put in place...but then again I don't know if that is possible....since this is not the first time this has happened in the industry, I willing to bet that "windmills do not work that way".

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ONE JOB JON. YOU HAD ONE JOB.

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 07:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pushing 1400 dmg at level 38 :)

I can't imagine how insane hell or inferno are with the amount of "kill you right fucking now" moments in nightmare.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Details are starting to come in :D

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-15-2012 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

show the cow level n stfu

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just finished act 2, going slow getting 100% map. damn fine game now that the issues have calmed down. vgg

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 03:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Somebody finished Diablo 3 in 12 hours

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/15/someb ... -12-hours/

Someone actually managed to log in?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Come off it. Anyone who even sniffed at the beta should have known the servers would go to shit and they'd get no game from their day one purchase. It happens with practically every single online game ever, yet morons still flock to the hype-stands and buy up broken shit to play it the minute it's out, then bitch that it doesn't work.
Lol consumers.

U4EA wrote:
It's a simple matter of economics: you don't provision for the Day 1 spike of everyone trying to login immediately after the game goes live, you provision for your long term usage estimates. This is a business, and it exists for one sole reason: to make money.

That's just plain horseshit. First of all, if I would buy a car and it wouldn't start the first two days after I had bought it, I'd be real pissed about that as well.
I understand that they don't have the server capacity to deal with such an enormous spike, but instead of implementing a decent queuing system they let you crash hard out of the game with some non-descript error message.

Quake Live initially suffered from the same problems, but id Software was quick to implement a queuing system. Sure, it isn't fun to wait 10 minutes before you can play, but at least you know you're getting in eventually and the overall experience is one of being guided to where you want to be, rather than being booted out of a game with some error that blurts out nothing but meaningless numbers, basically saying "Sorry, I'm not going to help you, you're on your own now".

Also, this situation stings extra hard because there's people that want to play a single player game yet are unable to because of some remote server acting up. That's just plain nonsense.

U4EA wrote:
I guarantee this will blow over in a day [or two, at most] and no one's going to care once it gets stable and people all across the world aren't trying to login simultaneously.

That is most likely true. And that is where the true "lol consumers" rant should be aimed at.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
This is my first game since D3...

So before D3, all you bought was D3?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 04:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So will I have to buy 2 games if my son and I want to play on same computer with our own shit?...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 07:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I love that fat fuck. The best one was when he spilled his drink all over himself...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
That's just plain horseshit. First of all, if I would buy a car and it wouldn't start the first two days after I had bought it, I'd be real pissed about that as well.
I understand that they don't have the server capacity to deal with such an enormous spike, but instead of implementing a decent queuing system they let you crash hard out of the game with some non-descript error message.

Quake Live initially suffered from the same problems, but id Software was quick to implement a queuing system. Sure, it isn't fun to wait 10 minutes before you can play, but at least you know you're getting in eventually and the overall experience is one of being guided to where you want to be, rather than being booted out of a game with some error that blurts out nothing but meaningless numbers, basically saying "Sorry, I'm not going to help you, you're on your own now".

Also, this situation stings extra hard because there's people that want to play a single player game yet are unable to because of some remote server acting up. That's just plain nonsense.

That's a ludicrous analogy. A video game is not the same as a car, and I have different expectations when I buy a car than when I buy a video game. To continue however, complaining about Day 1 server congestion for an online game is like a million people buying a car from the same lot .. and then complaining that they didn't build enough roads around the lot to let people out once everyone is gridlocked.

.. or something equally asinine.

Queuing is not a solution that would be received well by the community at large. More than that though, it would not make economic sense to implement it for 2 days of effective use.

The offline only argument is one with its own merits, but it's way too late to be arguing about it at this point in time. Suffice to say, given that a gold/item vs. real life money economy was inevitable [which it was] and that it is in Blizzard's best interest to legitimize and profit from it [which it is], then D3 being online only makes perfect sense.

They have legions of people willingly playing the game and selling items, from which they'll be taking a not insubstantial cut. It's the perfect setup and why would they do it any other way? The loss of a few sales [people pissed off enough by online only to not buy the game] is trivial in comparison to the ongoing income from the real money auction house. And to keep this honest, they need to prevent dupes/hacks etc. which is best done with a client/server architecture.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Monetize the shit out of this!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey man, as long as they invest all this money from the auction house into space exploration, I say power to them. As long as they don't invent another game so 50 million people can hibernate in their basement and be unproductive cunts for 3 years, it's cool.

edit: :mad:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

APPROVES

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient, I added you...

No one else wants to give up their battletag?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gave my real id weeks ago. resric@gmail.com

Update: lvl 54, almost into act 3 hell

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My lvl27 Monk just died. >:(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry bit, musta missed that. Shaft, you up for some team action? Im probably not leveled enough for you guys. Im only 8...

I'm getting error 37 right now...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

diablo twitter say 15 minute maintenance.
We have 4 and we play hardcore.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far I only have a 16 Barbarian and an 18 Wizard. Stupid job. :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 06:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guess I can't hang with you guys...:olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey morons...is this game good?...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 08:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, go get it so I can team up with someone...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Barbarian is still 16, so finish Act I and we can group, h0m0.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 10:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
The offline only argument is one with its own merits, but it's way too late to be arguing about it at this point in time. Suffice to say, given that a gold/item vs. real life money economy was inevitable [which it was] and that it is in Blizzard's best interest to legitimize and profit from it [which it is], then D3 being online only makes perfect sense.

Dude, I rarely disagree with you, but you're coming off like a brainwashed fanboy here. Why the FUCK was this inevitable? Maybe if this was an MMO, sure these points would make sense, but the Diablo games have never been and still aren't MMOs. This is exactly the same shit Ubisoft pulled and eventually ended up removing from their games due to massive audience outcry.
Let me repeat a point I made earlier: The majority of people who buy Diablo 3 are not buying it to play multiplayer and in all likelihood will never play multiplayer. Blizzard's biggest argument regarding always online "functionality" has precisely no bearing on their experience. This shit is downright evil corporate bullshit, and Blizzard's loudest fans seem to be swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
Besides, if I choose to cheat in, dupe in or modify a game that is and always has been built around single player, why the fuck should that matter?
This is purely about control and revoking ownership.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Dude, I rarely disagree with you, but you're coming off like a brainwashed fanboy here. Why the FUCK was this inevitable? Maybe if this was an MMO, sure these points would make sense, but the Diablo games have never been and still aren't MMOs. This is exactly the same shit Ubisoft pulled and eventually ended up removing from their games due to massive audience outcry.
Let me repeat a point I made earlier: The majority of people who buy Diablo 3 are not buying it to play multiplayer and in all likelihood will never play multiplayer. Blizzard's biggest argument regarding always online "functionality" has precisely no bearing on their experience. This shit is downright evil corporate bullshit, and Blizzard's loudest fans seem to be swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
Besides, if I choose to cheat in, dupe in or modify a game that is and always has been built around single player, why the fuck should that matter?
This is purely about control and revoking ownership.

That people would want to buy in game items with real life money isn't really up for debate I'm afraid. This doesn't have anything to do with whether a game is or isn't an MMO. Diablo 2 [not an MMO] had a thriving real money based online "black market". This was third party controlled, and entirely too shady. It was easy to get scammed. Blizzard is merely legitimizing it and making it accessible for the general player base.

BTW, I don't personally agree with making the game online only. In fact, it's made the experience significantly poorer for me. You Euros are lucky to have local servers, but in Australia I have to play on US servers. This puts my bare minimum latency at roughly ~200. I would much rather have preferred single player offline play.

I'm simply arguing on behalf of Blizzard and rationalizing their decisions from their point of view. A gaming corporation engaged in downright evil corporate bullshit? Well, no kidding, whod've thunk it?! :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2012 11:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Latency in a SP game? You're kidding me right? I would've asked for a refund.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-17-2012 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Blizzard apologises for Diablo 3 launch server problems"
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/17/blizzar ... i-servers/

lol, no they don't...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-17-2012 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Latency in a SP game? You're kidding me right? I would've asked for a refund.

Same.

I can understand the game giving progress/achievement updates to the server from time to time but not actually causing the connection to induce actual lag in the gameplay.

Seriously...wtf?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-17-2012 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
"Blizzard apologises for Diablo 3 launch server problems"
http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/17/blizzar ... i-servers/

lol, no they don't...

This article is much better...

Diablo 3: you can’t log-in and you shouldn’t care

lol guinea pigs, etc

Quote:
Here’s five things you could be doing while Blizzard’s trying to make their most amazing addition to the action-RPG genre bulletproof.

1. Shut up. Seriously, stop whining. Making this stuff work for a rush of millions is verging on rocket science. It happens for pretty much every major online game – including Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 – and you should be used to it by now. Just be patient and let Blizzard fix it. Save your bile for something that actually matters, like the fact you have little chance of achieving your life goals because you can’t stop playing computer games.

2. Make a cup of tea. Microsoft suggested PS3 owners should spend the time GTA IV took to install on the console to make some tea, and it’s not a bad piece of advice. Everyone loves tea. Try a herbal variety, something soothing like camomile. Inhale the flowery vapours and feel your entitlement rage dissipate with the rising of the morning sun.

3. Take some exercise. That’s right. Stop sitting there repeatedly trying, and failing, to get a game, get off your ass and go for a walk. Maybe break into a run. Use the time and head space to formulate class strategies and daydream about the sheer joy of finally getting a link to Blizzard’s servers and moving nothing but your eyes and fingers for about 300 hours as you click yourself to demon-busting fame. Get back, have a shower, try, and fail, to log-in again, smile happily and say, “It’s fine! I’m sure it’ll work later!”

4. Do some work. Radical, yes, but doing some work while you’re waiting for Blizzard to engineer one of the largest game projects yet created will make you feel better about your life. Write something. Build something. Dig something in the garden. Organise something. Pay some tax. Make a todo list and do some of it. As you cross off the items you’ll feel your anxieties fall away, making it less likely for you to behave like a child on the internet and have a cry over the fact you may have to wait a little while before you can play a video game.

5. Spend some time with your family. Fucking madness, obviously, but use this time positively by reading to your kids, or sitting down and having a chat with your mum, or helping your dad wash the car, or cooking something nice for your spouse. Stun family members by speaking to them in coherent sentences. Look them in the eye and tell them you love them. Give them a hug. Then go to the Blizzard forums and post about how Diablo III’s downtime allowed you to reconnect with those closest to you, greatly fulfilling your life and helping you become a generally better person.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.