Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diablo III

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Diablo III

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If they're auto-levelling stats, why do they have them?
They may as well hide them completely.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are they following WoW's stat handling - base stats are automatically increased while levelling, with stats on gear being the difference between similarly levelled character classes?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Will your single player characters be separate from your multiplayer characters? Or will you be able to play them online?

You need to be online to play SP, and characters can go back and forth between SP and MP. The only exception being HC characters, of course.

Mat Linnett wrote:
If they're auto-levelling stats, why do they have them?
They may as well hide them completely.

Showing your stats allows you to see how they change with different gear equipped.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry Trans.....HC characters?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hardcore. Once hardcore, you never go back. Diablo noob!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, you die, you're done. Brutal...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Showing your stats allows you to see how they change with different gear equipped.

But even then, why not just replace those stats with one "Class" stat, where equipped gear affects that sole stat? After all, surely that's what it's doing anyway?
Barbarian gear will make barbarians better, and given Blizzard's uniformity of stats, you're probably not going to see innappropriate stat buffs on a given class' gear; ie, no Dexterity for a Barbarian, just Strength, no Intelligence for a Demon Hunter, just Dexterity, etc. And if that's really so, you may as well reduce gear to core stats, ending up with Barbarian Armor +1, etc. Dressing it up the way they do at the moment is just an attempt to distract the audience from exactly how simplified the stat system has become.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Dressing it up the way they do at the moment is just an attempt to distract the audience from exactly how simplified the stat system has become.

This

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Transient wrote:

given Blizzard's uniformity of stats, you're probably not going to see innappropriate stat buffs on a given class' gear;

:olo:

You must not have inspected many players' gear in WoW. Most people who play these games are fucking morons and have no clue which stats to stack.

As far as stats go, I did like the hardcore nature of D2 where you horded stats while being rushed to create uber builds. But at the same time that kind of takes away from the game experience and makes people go into asian grind mode. They are clearing trying to avoid this with many of the changes they have made. The stat system WoW used worked out very well and there was still constant theorycrafting being done in Matlab to calculate which states gave you the best dps/tps/hps and what list of gear best filled those stats. Then you've got balances to maintain between hit ratings, crit ratings, and stat synergies. If they balance the gear like they did in WoW, there is almost never a single best-in-slot item because it all depends on which stat would benefit you the most at your current point. For example, stacking crit until 30% then focusing on strength due to diminishing returns.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this system still lets the hardcore players bicker over how flawless their builds are while making it more approachable for casuals and discouraging gimp ass moochers for stat hording their way through speed runs. And like the video said, most people just permanently fucked up their character.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What bitWISE said. Also, the cost of making a serious mistake in stat or talent selection in D2 was way too steep: starting a new character from scratch.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im looking forward to this, have been waiting for fucking years. personally i welcome changes, not just the same old. looking forward to seeing what blizzard have done this time. have avoided most media around this so its gonna be fresh for me.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 10:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know why more of these games don't take a leaf from Guild Wars' book if immutable stats make it too easy to screw up your character then. Keep the stats, but allow the player to completely redesign their build whenever they want, for free.
The way it currently is, you may as well not even have stats, as build will solely come down to gear.
But of course, that's what Blizzard/Activision have wanted all along anyway. What better way to get people hooked on the Real Money Auction House than making the top builds depend on rare items that the average player will only have a chance of acquiring through the Auction House?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-07-2012 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Dressing it up the way they do at the moment is just an attempt to distract the audience from exactly how simplified the stat system has become.

Mat Linnett wrote:
The way it currently is, you may as well not even have stats, as build will solely come down to gear.

Actually, I think they're dressing it down a bit. There's no "Stats" page, it's a menu within a menu now. And since you can't allocate stats yourself, it deemphasizes its importance. It's there for those who care, but not in your face. Ultimately it's a moot point, because like you said, the game really just boils down to gear and skill/rune selection.

Mat Linnett wrote:
I don't know why more of these games don't take a leaf from Guild Wars' book if immutable stats make it too easy to screw up your character then. Keep the stats, but allow the player to completely redesign their build whenever they want, for free.

Now that stats can't be chosen by the player, Diablo III is redesignable. You can change which skills you use pretty much on-the-fly, and you can swap out gear whenever you want. From the time I've spent in the Beta so far, it seems to me that there will be no reason to have more than one character from each class. Just keep a separate set of gear in your stash and when you want to take on a different role, swap it out in town and rearrange your skills.

Mat Linnett wrote:
But of course, that's what Blizzard/Activision have wanted all along anyway. What better way to get people hooked on the Real Money Auction House than making the top builds depend on rare items that the average player will only have a chance of acquiring through the Auction House?

Then don't make a top build? Stick to the difficulty levels that don't require uber gear. Or just spend more time in the game until you get a decent amount of lucky drops (unrealistic, I know). Or force the drops by doing magic find runs. It was easy to take a fresh character and acquire enough MF gear to start farming, then trade the good drops for shit you want. I did that on several occasions, and while I didn't have the top uber gear, I was decked out enough to hold my own in the hardest areas of the game. All I needed was determination and a free weekend. Ah, the joys of high school... :smirk:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Open beta / stress test this weekend.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck yeah! downloaded. hurry up time.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm enjoying it so far. :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 01:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of these days you're going to have to fully explain your fierce hatred towards pointy clicky controls :)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hold Shift.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^This could be amusing

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
Open beta / stress test this weekend.

Link?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 04:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Up to level 13 I thought...?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 10:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah if you replay the 2hours over and over you can get to level13 in the beta...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 10:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm glad there isn't much. I've got other shit I'd like to get done this weekend but I want to check out the classes and see which one feels right to start with first come release.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

witchdoctor better be as awesome as i'm anticipating.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I read that there's 2.5 hours tops to play on one character, after that there's nothing left to do, unless you roll a new character.

That's to get to the end of the Beta story-wise. Assuming you're not playing to get the most XP possible, it may take a tad bit longer to get to the level cap of 13.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Not in my experience. It's a re-skinned Necromancer. Skeletons are replaced by zombie dogs, bone spells are replaced by throwing jars full of spiders and puddles of goo with clawing hands coming out of the ground, etc. I don't know what they're like in the later levels, but I expect more of the same: it's a pet class with debuffs. I'm sure they'll need rebalancing at the higher difficulties just like the Necromancer did. :(

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing the beta, I won a key in a contest. I really like it. It's a good SP and Co-op game, Not sure how the PvP will be tho.

I like all the characters equally, beside the monk.

There is an Open Beta going on this weekend, anyone can play so if you're interested check it out.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/?-
http://www.diablofans.com/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No shit?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stoner wrote:

I like all the characters equally, beside the monk.

Funny, that's the class I'm playing right now in the beta. It's alright. Should have done wizard...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Monk isn't bad, I just don't really like the play style that much. But that's just my preference, I saw plenty of people playing Monks. It kinda felt like they were a little weak at the time. But I was playing it a month and a half ago and I know the classes have been tweaked a lot since then.

I love the Barbarian, Demon Hunter, Witch Doctor, and Wizard. I'll probably play a Barbarian to start but all the classes are equally fun to me.

Last edited by Stoner on 04-20-2012 06:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 12:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

I'm debating between wizard and witch doctor for my role in a four man, week long, grinding group. They both look far less powerful than the last time I played with the character planner on the D3 site but WD really looks weak.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed but he looks quite fun. After healing classes I usually favour ones with pets and mob spawn capabilities simply because of the variety of play. I'm gonna roll him simply for aesthetic reasons. My main will probably be wizard as if i can't heal then high dps is usually my forte.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're going to like the WD, then. I imagine that class will have the most variety in the visual department. :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3vGigXYlXg

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.