Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So who here has "come out"?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: So who here has "come out"?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

u need to do some research mkj u dumbo...95% of atheist...including dawkins don't KNOW there is no god...just like they don't know for sure whether there is a coffe mug orbiting mars...so of course ur completely wrong...

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
well ok let me put it differently then;

an atheist would say
i know that there is no god, based on [facts and observations]. there is no other conclusion.

while an agnost would say;
based on facts and observations, i dont think theres a god. however i could be wrong and there might be.

the biggest difference is that one 'knows', while the other 'thinks'.

Not true. You're loading the term the same way others do. Atheist does not mean that you "know that there is no god, based on [facts and observations]. there is no other conclusion." That approaches a belief in itself.

Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris are both atheists, and they both claim the stance that you call agnostic: "based on facts and observations, i dont think theres a god. however i could be wrong and there might be."

They both make that statement in their books.

Atheism is a lack of theism. While there are some atheists who claim to "know" there is no god, there are also lots of others who have different reasons for not being believers.

Agnosticism is yet another reason that one could be an atheist.

I made a thread quite a while back to try to flesh out what I'm trying to say here, let me see if I can find it...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

due to lack of observations, true.
using that logic, evolution is indeed not science.

but, since you seem to be proficient with pseudo-filosophical knowdledge, you'd also know that in science terms NOTHING is certain, even after extensive testing and experiments. "to know" has a different meaning in science than it has in nonscientific contexts. see tnf for more details.

so obviously, noone KNOWS there is no god. so again, using that logic, 100% of the people are agnostic :clownboat:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@rook: i think i know what thread you're talking about. i think we had the exact same discussion there, too :D

as for me loading terms. right now im lifting them from the dictionary. blame the american heritage for definitions, and society for loading them.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
lol ur a fucking idiot transient...worst advice ever...

unfortunately I agree...this silliness has to stop at some point and not be perpetuated throughout the generations...even as a lie...matter of fact it's more ridiculous because it will be a lie.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
due to lack of observations, true.
using that logic, evolution is indeed not science.

but, since you seem to be proficient with pseudo-filosophical knowdledge, you'd also know that in science terms NOTHING is certain, even after extensive testing and experiments. "to know" has a different meaning in science than it has in nonscientific contexts. see tnf for more details.

so obviously, noone KNOWS there is no god. so again, using that logic, 100% of the people are agnostic :clownboat:

That's nonsense, and I think you know it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe MKJ is not an idiot but I don't know it for sure. the evidence could prove me otherwise. :owned:

Last edited by Tsakali on 08-17-2008 08:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hence the clownboat.
"using that logic" refers to geoffs get-out-of-jail-for-free-card of "yea but noone knows". reversing that brings up above argument, which is indeed bogus.

ergo, before starting any discussion, especially sciencerelated ones, both party should agree on definitions first (e.g. 'to know'). otherwise youd get crap like above - you can always make a discussion as highlevel as you want, but that brings it dangerously close to philosophy.

which, coincidentally, will always come full circle back to arguing semantics.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
@rook: i think i know what thread you're talking about. i think we had the exact same discussion there, too :D

as for me loading terms. right now im lifting them from the dictionary. blame the american heritage for definitions, and society for loading them.

Well, I mostly agree with what Dawkins said in the video Fender posted. While it may be better to use less loaded terms like "non-theist," for practical purposes, I prefer to take the word atheist back, from its etymological meaning - the sum of its parts - instead of backing away from the term due to others' biases.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.. ofcourse its impossible to have a normal discussion with geoff - the man hides behind trailing sentences and insinuations.
quite a pity cause i think he's an intelligent individual and im sure he actually has something to say.

then again, discussions like this are much better had over a series of beers than over a series of tubes :\

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
hence the clownboat.
"using that logic" refers to geoffs get-out-of-jail-for-free-card of "yea but noone knows". reversing that brings up above argument, which is indeed bogus.

ergo, before starting any discussion, especially sciencerelated ones, both party should agree on definitions first (e.g. 'to know'). otherwise youd get crap like above - you can always make a discussion as highlevel as you want, but that brings it dangerously close to philosophy.

which, coincidentally, will always come full circle back to arguing semantics.

Oh sorry, I thought that post was directed toward me, not geoff. :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:

Well, I mostly agree with what Dawkins said in the video Fender posted. While it may be better to use less loaded terms like "non-theist," for practical purposes, I prefer to take the word atheist back, from its etymological meaning - the sum of its parts - instead of backing away from the term due to others' biases.

very much agreed.
its like you cant say "black" anymore since it has been used negatively too much. so we invent a new term, "afro-american"... until people take offense to that. im sure there are millions of black people who are feeling left out because they are not from africa and feel their heritage is being ignored.
or some other boohoo shit reason they can think of.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ur just a little misguided mkj...no big deal...

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
.. ofcourse its impossible to have a normal discussion with geoff - the man hides behind trailing sentences and insinuations.
quite a pity cause i think he's an intelligent individual and im sure he actually has something to say.

then again, discussions like this are much better had over a series of beers than over a series of tubes :\

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewto ... 50#p564150 :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: funny how the mind works

[edit] i also see i never followed up on that. :(

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
eh
agnostic means you dont know either way and youll never know.
thats not the same as saying you dont believe.

even simpler, agnostic means 'not knowing'. that's all. it's the opposite of gnostic, which means 'knowing'. not very complicated, has nothing to do with dog spelled backwards.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a father in law who is a pastor. My in-laws are all young earth creationists who follow a literal interpretation of the Bible down to the last sentence. My wife's sister's husband is a material scientist at a large company who also likes to 'research' creation science. They subscribe to the 'journal' Creation, a few Christmases ago they got me several books like "Answers in Genesis" and "The Problem of Distant Starlight in a Young Universe." They basically thought I was the anti-Christ when my wife and I first started dating, even though I considered myself a de facto Christian (but one who viewed the Bible as a book of metaphors and lessons, not as a literal history of anything) at the time because I had grown up in a very, very casually religious family but hadn't given it much thought.

So for me, initially, the fact that I said I was religious wasn't enough - they were concerned because my entire life didn't revolve around the word...I didn't go on missions, I was an evolutionist (this was a HUGE issue). Having religion forced into my face this way caused me to spend a lot more time reflecting on my own beliefs and I started to realize that my mind just really didn't work in a manner that allowed me to have much confidence or faith in something like a God. So at this point, I'd say I'm agnostic or atheist in the Dawkins/Harris manner (probability is low, but I could be wrong...).
I haven't said anything though and probably won't just because its not an issue I want to deal with. My in-laws and I get along great now because everyone has come to terms with the fact that religion just isn't something we are going to discuss. When my wife and I have kids I can see things getting interesting though as the family is inquiring about where we are sending them to Sunday school and what its going to be like when grandpa is teaching the grandkids that Noah's ark had dinosaurs on it and their dad is explaining to them that the dinosaurs died long before there were any people around here - so, despite their coloring books insistence, jesus did not ride dinosaurs.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you think it might be better to go ahead and have it out now, rather than your child having to deal with all the conflicting things coming from his elders?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An agnost is an atheist playing it safe.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a pussy...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm so fucking glad I grew up in a family where religion is a complete non-issue.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the only people that went mad with me when i turned round and said "we just dont know so why dedicate your life to a belief" (its usually the way i word it) is my roman catholic school, i got withdrawn from my RE GCSE for that shit :(

i dont go round screaming it though just like i dont like it when people start screaming about his/her own god to me, everyone ive met tends to be respectful of each others beliefs and i try to return that courtesy, but dont think people really give enough of a shit tbh :shrug:

obv theres the god squad member which pops up every once in a while and if they get in my face ill usually offer a mixed reaction

edit: i find that half (probaly most) the real religous nutters out there, the ones which stop you in the street and tell you that you will burn in hell forever if you dont listen to what theyre saying, usually end up having a past so fucked up its beyond belief

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-17-2008 12:02 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08-17-2008 11:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iced Earth wrote a good song about it... all their songs are good while i'm at it..

Quote:
Stand Alone

[Schaffer, Barlow]

Listen not to ones who preach
Those who feel you're a freak
Everything about you is wrong
You must be sick, you don't belong

Father said, worry not what they say
Use your mind, your own free will
In a time when everyone follows
Ignorance can kill

They only say what they want you to hear
Half-truths have been twisted to conceal your fate
In a world of spoon-fed emotion
Intelligence can save

[chorus]
Stand alone
Hear what I say
Stand alone
You will seize the day

Son, say what you mean, don't be afraid
Tell them how you feel, hear what I say
Be true to yourself and true to your own
Your spirit will crush the hearts of stone

Stand alone
Hear what I say
Stand alone
It's a leap of faith

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 12:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busy day...
this space reserved

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'de tell them to fuck off.

PostPosted: 08-17-2008 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
busy day...
this space reserved

you already have the first post reserved.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wouldent tell anybody

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a topic that seems to get people very, very upset so I avoid the subject. Usually the only people that bring the subject up are pushy religious people or militant atheists/agnostics. I don't let either side, (or anyone else) tell me what to think. End.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not afraid to tell any of friends or girlfriends about being atheist because if they can't respect or share my views I don't want to know them. But I finally burst the bubble to my mom in the middle of a three-hour road trip not very long ago. I knew she had a rough idea but I had never formally said anything. I brought it up because we had been talking about my sister and her relationships (currently dating a hardcore goth type), which made me wonder how my grandma would accept my girlfriend and I being atheist. We had never really attended church as a family until my dad was dieing of cancer back in the late 90s but my grandparents had always had very strong faith. Because I grew up outside of religion and thinking very logically, I've been atheist and largely against the whole idea of religion for as long as I can remember.

Anyways, we're in the car and I ask, "With grandma being so accepting of Mark, I wonder what she would think of Maggie and I both, uh, being atheists." And my mom's reply was simply, "Well I don't know why you can't believe in god at all...but I still do. But I don't think it should matter what grandma or anyone thinks either. I believe in god because if he's real then I'll get to see your dad again. So I really like that and I know someday we'll be together again. But I know you're probably just too logical for religion aren't you? Just doesn't make sense to you?"

So...then I felt like a complete cunt because here my mom is hanging onto that hope of seeing my dad again and I'm throwing the idea out of the window. I pretty much dropped the conversation at this point. It was interesting having it come close to my heart though. Her blind hope of the afterlife in heaven was one of the things I had held against religion for providing such a fake crutch for weak people. But suddenly it was very different when it was my own mom, wanting to keep loving my dad...

As for grandma...she can find out when I finally end up getting married.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
I believe in god because if he's real then I'll get to see your dad again. So I really like that and I know someday we'll be together again.

what a dumb bitch...

PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's funny how atheist's still talk about marriage, it's all in your mind... There is nothing special about marriage, it's just another stupid tradition that people can't let go of.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 09:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

marriage is just to make the bitches feel good about themselves...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-17-2008 10:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
It's funny how atheist's still talk about marriage, it's all in your mind... There is nothing special about marriage, it's just another stupid tradition that people can't let go of.

So without God there can be no commitment to another person?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so its comming to that now?

you walk up to somebody, first things first, tell them ur political, religious, cash, culture status?

that doesnt sound very comedic at all does it

it doesnt sound very fun at all

they didnt do that in deadwood did they?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First off, :olo: people (scared?) who talk about these sort of things as if they are the some kind of genius of ontological debate.

secondly, Fender--do you see that in your statements you discuss your child as if he is a property of yours, to adopt your beliefs and priorities with no argument as to his person or identity? It's not you being baptized ffs. If you feel that what happens here is somehow damaging to his mind or body, then you have an argument, otherwise, who cares. Can you not consider it a meaningless tradition, one bearable enough in the knowledge that, more than anything will bind certain factions of your strange in-laws more closely together.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.