Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        1 in 2 Americans believes prayer can fix all health problems

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 1 in 2 Americans believes prayer can fix all health problems

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26272687/

I thought it was bad enough that a study had to be conducted to demonstrate that prayer had no effect on patients (although I think the study showed that the group receiving prayer actually did slightly worse - but just due to random variance.)

But apparently nobody really took that study to heart.

Frustrating to discuss this with people who believe it because they always can use the following logic - "if the person is healed, God was involved and the prayer worked. If they did not get better, this was God's will and our prayers helped them spiritually." It's a completely unwinnable debate/discussion (I've had the argument with family members who asked us to pray for someone and I replied "why - do you really think it will do a damn thing other than make the people praying feel better about themselves?")

I was channel surfing this morning and happened across a televangelist on the BET network offering free 'mircale mana' bread to people - bread he made with a recipe from the bible and blessed. the program showed this guy (peter pofoff) at several different gatherings of people (almost exclusively black crowds, looked like they all came to see him at various convention centers at hotels). They were saying how they touched/ate/slept with/rubbed/fucked the miracle mana and the next day got shit like checks for 1,000,000 dollars in the mail or suddenly sprouted new legs or grew a second dick or whatever. This show was followed up with another guy who called himself the man of god and would randomly break into jibberish (tongues) while speaking and was offering a "miracle golden key" that he woudl send to you to pray over. This golden key was supposed to unlock riches for you. Another guy was offering a miracle green napkin or something that people were to cover their afflictions with while they prayed. Don't know why I watched this long, I think it was morbid curiousity and outright amazement that there are people in the world this fucking dumb.
here the guy is offering his miracle water:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbADp9Xh4A

here's a youtube about the miracle mana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFsdZlM ... re=related

Order some for free and see if it helps you!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah...I read that earlier and thought of posting it in the "coming out" thread but I figured you guys were sick of me shitting on Muricuh.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
They were saying how they touched/ate/slept with/rubbed/fucked the miracle mana and the next day got shit like checks for 1,000,000 dollars in the mail or suddenly sprouted new legs or grew a second dick or whatever.

Fuck, sign me up!

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 07:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like how Sarah Silverman said "1 out of every 3 people have aids. So look at the people to your left and right.. if they don't have it, then you do."

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prayer causes health problems, for my god is a god of vengeance.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 08:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh my lulz.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

Interesting site. I read a few chapters, guy makes some interesting points. It's interesting to note how much he stresses the same point over and over again, is this because religious people are blind to anything that isn't God and you have to say the same shit 50 times in a row for them to even realize you're talking at all?

PostPosted: 08-18-2008 09:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

Once when i was a kid I couldn't find something and I remembered my mom saying that if you pray to st. such-and-such he will guide you to what you are looking for. At this point I was already tired of looking every more than once and said 'what the hell i'll try it'.
Of course, I couldn't remember the name of the guy which made me wonder why i was even going to do this in the first place, but 'prayed' (by imagining someone in a brown robe hearing me and knowing what i was even talking about) to a bunch of st. "insert name here" type people, then sat down and waited for guidance.

I don't remember if I ever found what I was looking for but I do remember giving up after sitting for a long time :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-18-2008 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Prayer causes health problems, for my god is a god of vengeance.

Crom!!!

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 08-19-2008 06:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not all prayer is good for.

PostPosted: 08-19-2008 07:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL $4 to $3.80... yeah way to go god, is that the best you can do?

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 08-19-2008 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got one thing to say about God.....

I fucked him. Cause thats how I roll.

Best peace O' ass I 'eva had.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 08-19-2008 08:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pics or it didn't happen.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 08-19-2008 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Yeah...I read that earlier and thought of posting it in the "coming out" thread but I figured you guys were sick of me shitting on Muricuh.

Not at all. Proceed. :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there someting like relicide? If not, it should be invented, quick quick.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My favorite argument people make is when you point out studies like the one tnf mentioned, and they reply, "god didn't heal those people because he is angry that you were testing him."

Also, andyman, that would be St. Anthony. I know some folks who use that prayer, too.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm, the st. we call upon for lost stuff in greece is completely different, I guess st. Anthony's jurisdiction is only the western hemisphere.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greece is orthodox, right? Western hemisphere is mostly catholic (shitload of saints) or protestant (no saints).

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

correct. but you still have to wonder when the split happened between the two churches and the comic value of how they have a St. for the exact same thing with diff. background story to him as well I bet.

For instance our St. has a 3 day guaranty else you get a free ipod.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
hmm, the st. we call upon for lost stuff in greece is completely different, I guess st. Anthony's jurisdiction is only the western hemisphere.

do you live on the mainland or one of the islands? (or neither)

PostPosted: 08-20-2008 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

perhaps this st. anthony is a victim of identity theft...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-20-2008 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

do you live on the mainland or one of the islands? (or neither)

been living in New Orleans for 17 years now

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.