Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        I just beat Half-Life 2 (spoilers)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I just beat Half-Life 2 (spoilers)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WHAT THE FUCK?!

I spent the entire game trying to figure out WTF I was doing there and how the fuck I got dragged into this mess. When I finally got into that big pointy building, I figured I'd start getting answers. Instead, what do I get? More questions, naturally. And talk about a cliffhanger. Just making me wonder more... Lame.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay and eye candy were great, but I just felt like I was being lead by a carrot on a stick throughout the entire fucking game.

The only hype HL2 lived up to was in the visual department.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hehe, the story is deeper than you think...

edit: Bling http://fragfiles.org/~hlstory//

(not that i agree with it all)

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think most of that is bollocks. HL2 is the equivilent of Matrix Reloaded.

I fucking LOVED the super grav gun, because i'd spent the entire game bitching that i couldnt pick bodies up with the grav gun.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I played the game casually. I didnt' invest too much mental effort into it. Same with Half-Life, which I played through quite a few years ago. I suppose that has something to do with it, but as far as casual play goes, the story is arse.

There's no way I'm playing through it again to figure shit out, so lay it on me. :p

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gollum, what's up with the name change? I prefer the old one better.

PS: HIES MANG!!! :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hl2 stuck to what Any and all of the Hl1 revisions set out before it, thats one of the main part... but i can agree, Comming from someone that fucking *HATES* Clif hangers. the Ending dident close as much as i would have hoped.

But, im sure HL3 will Close it up... hopefully.. ( can we say the next rocky? )

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The ending sucked, but the gameplay lived up to all the hype.
The gameplay was great - the physics phenomenal, the voice acting good, etc.

There are a few moments in the game that I will remember as some of the most memorable of any game I've ever played - for example when I was in the little skim boat thing getting chased by the helicopter dropping cluster bombs...dunno why, but with the graphics maxxed, and the great sound, etc, I just remember thinking "damn, this is intense." Also, the scenes in ravenholm, with the priest wearing the converse all stars...heh.
There are definitely other moments where I was blown away by the entire atmosphere the game created. Probably the most immersed I've ever felt playing an FPS. I just wish you could have used the gravity gun on bodies the entire game, instead of just at the end. The first time you could, I spent a long time just flinging guys into walls for the hell of it, or into the goop that makes them float in slow motion.

But the ending was inexusable. To put you through that many hours of gameplay for an ending that leaves no real answers is a joke. They could have still left things open for HL3 while giving you some cool shit to reward the effort.

Just a game though.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Well, I played the game casually. I didnt' invest too much mental effort into it. Same with Half-Life, which I played through quite a few years ago. I suppose that has something to do with it, but as far as casual play goes, the story is arse.

There's no way I'm playing through it again to figure shit out, so lay it on me. :p

Gman = gordon's controller

Everything you do in HL2 = fucking over humanity

Everything you do in HL1 = fucking over humanity AND Xen

Only characters to survive Hl2 = Barney, Dog, the Prof and Lamar.

Earth = Combine property...

Last edited by LXS on 02-12-2005 07:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
But the ending was inexusable. To put you through that many hours of gameplay for an ending that leaves no real answers is a joke. They could have still left things open for HL3 while giving you some cool shit to reward the effort.

I totally disagree.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:
tnf wrote:

I totally disagree.

I totally disagree with your total disagreement.

I think HL2 was as close to a perfect FPS as has ever been created, and the ending didn't do the game itself justice.

Hopefully it won't be 6 years until HL3.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:
Transient wrote:

Barney, Dog and Lamar dont survive it. Lamar is a couple of floors below, Barney and Dog are outside just below.
The explosion would have done a WTC on top of them.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Gollum, what's up with the name change? I prefer the old one better.

PS: HIES MANG!!! :D

I left Gollum behind years ago, q3w was pretty much the only place i still used it. The crash was good oppertuniy for me to change, most people recognise my icon anyway.

PS: HI2U! make them sort qwfix out faster :(

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blood.angel wrote:
LXS wrote:
Transient wrote:

Barney, Dog and Lamar dont survive it. Lamar is a couple of floors below, Barney and Dog are outside just below.

Explain the bit after the end titles then

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:
blood.angel wrote:
LXS wrote:
Transient wrote:

Theres a bit after the end titles?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A joke?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IT's just a bit with lamar isn't it?

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blood.angel wrote:
LXS wrote:
blood.angel wrote:
LXS wrote:
Transient wrote:

Theres a bit after the end titles?

Oh dear...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh i didnt realise you were disputing...

lemar isn't in the building is he, i thought the doc couldnt find him? and dog would survive anything.

edit: actually, is proff even in the building anymore? i can't remember

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 02-12-2005 07:37 PM, edited 1 time in total.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only bit after the credits was the little head grabber (Lamar), right?

I thought that was just some comic relief.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh lamar is the profs pet?
Fuck I thought it was the black one legged dudes name.
I forget his.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that was the pet's name...I can't remember...otherwise I don't know for sure who the fuck Lamar is, but the prof's pet is the only thing that showed up after the credits.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 02-12-2005 07:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lamar = de beaked pet head crab, he made the fucking game :D

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dog was the shit. Playing catch in reverse made me laff. :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

one of the worst games of all time...

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
one of the worst games of all time...

Die a thousand deaths choking on a urinal cake.

no u
no u
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone made a 3 level expansion mission. I havent tried it though.

http://www.tylak.com/dasroboss.html

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Dog was the shit. Playing catch in reverse made me laff. :D

I loved that part. A top 10 game imho.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:
tnf wrote:

I totally disagree.

I totally agree with LXS here. A happy Hollywood ending would have spoiled it for me. I too was a bit "wtf?" as I had expected to be warped away to Xen or something (although it's not too late for that, is it?) as a build-up for HL3, but it has grown on me since, and now I think the ending was excellent.

All the time-freezing, über-controlling stuff the G-man is into set the mood perfectly IMO. I like that idea of Gordon being a puppet with G-man pulling the strings.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:

mostly bullshit made up by someone with far too much time on his hands.
The story in Half-Life (2) is no deeper than that of Bert & Ernie's adventures in Sesamestreet.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
LXS wrote:

mostly bullshit made up by someone with far too much time on his hands.
The story in Half-Life (2) is no deeper than that of Bert & Ernie's adventures in Sesamestreet.

I guess you didnt read any of it, since most of it is backed up with screenshost and quotes :lol:

But yeah, i dont agree with him about a big chunk of the plot... He thinks the Gman is a good guy, whereas he's blatently a mercenary hired by the enemy...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HL1's story was quite secksi, although it didnt really come into play till OpFor.
i have a feeling the second one isnt as good story wise though (havent played it), and its supposed to have a rather odd ending, which this thread states once again.

on the other hand, i didnt mind Halo2's ending either so i guess i'll be ok ..

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is Opposing Force worth playing?

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The jury is still out on the G-man's allegiance. I'd say he works for a still unknown third party.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In my opinion, the jury is still out on the G-man's allegiance. I'd say he works for a still unknown third party.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
Is Opposing Force worth playing?

very, very much so
it elaborates on the story so well and adds tons of more worms to the can
and seeing the same story from another point of view is always cool (hence back to the future 2 rocks)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.