Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I stuck with Singha and Tiger after Chang gave me a few truly godawful hangovers... bottled it can indeed taste very strange. Almost like a slight chlorine aftertaste or something, i don't know. Learned to stay away from it fairly quick :)

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there was an article in a recent issue of Bon Appetit magazine saying that american microbreweries are moving back toward cans. basically the old thing about canned beer tasting metallic hasn't been true in decades (since they stopped soldering tin cans with lead) and opaque aluminum cans stop UV light better than bottles (even brown ones). they're also cheaper to make and ship, and are more easily recycled. people just assumed canned beer tasted like shit because only the US megabreweries could afford the relatively expensive canning equipment... and their beer was shit even before it was packaged.

some beers mentioned recently in this thread available in cans: fat tire and brooklyn lager.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard that as well. And regardless, if you are drinking beer, you should be enjoying it in a glass. Unless you are tailgating or something...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actualy prefer from a can... ok so I'm a beer noob. I just like the way bud tastes damnit. :p

I'm more concerned with how my weed tastes than my beer :D

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
but, it tastes so different.
its also nonregulated therefore not too predictable in both taste and alcoholpercentage =/

if youre gonna go bottled, go san miguel :clownboat:

san miguel.....

:puke:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 04:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I stuck with Singha and Tiger after Chang gave me a few truly godawful hangovers... bottled it can indeed taste very strange. Almost like a slight chlorine aftertaste or something, i don't know. Learned to stay away from it fairly quick :)

Never had any hangovers, even with a shitload of vodka tonics and spliffs on top. Quite like Singha and Tiger too, they're a bit more expensive though.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 04:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm all for canned beer, unless of course it's that coors light shit with the blue liner on the inside. i dunno wtf they were thinking with that but it makes a shitty beer tast even shittier.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ive never hung over from singha or chang either... ryoki must be a mornan.. :paranoid:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, now that you mention it, i think my only hangovers there were Chang related. Not sure how true it is, but someone told me Chang lacks quality control of any kind... so maybe i just had bad luck and hit a rotten batch or something.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wtf "someone told me".
it was mentioned on this very page :dork:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh! Sorry, missed that :)

Someone i met there told me the same thing.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

singha is a quality beverage.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 07:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the best things about Thai beers is how the pretty waitresses often wear a toight minidress of the sponsor of the bar, ie Tiger or Chang or Singha or whatever.

I approve of this tradition and would like to see it spread to other parts of the planet :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-19-2010 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i loathe the idea of Budweiser being advertised that way :(

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't had beer for a while, but I'll add my thoughts on the current topics:

1. Bottles vs. cans: Had Guinness from a can about 3 years ago, and the metallic taste was atrocious. So bottles win that point for me. Also, bottles are typically more environmentally sound, esp if you buy them somewhere w/ a bottle deposit and they get reused. So point #2 for bottles. I find bottles are easier to hold and drink if you don't have a glass on hand, and they're easier to pour if you do. Finally, as to protecting the beer from UV, my beer isn't kept in the window sill to begin with, so that's hardly a worry.

2. Gin. Love it. Current favorites are Plymouth and New Amsterdam. Both are flavorful and very smooth, esp New Amsterdam. Plymouth is slightly sweeter with a bit of citrus flavor.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 05:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, I think that cans are better for recycling. I'm not sure about the total carbon footprint or anything like that, though.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was under the impression that besides being reusable, glass is easier to both recycle and produce.
Then again, I'm just remembering something I heard -- or possibly made up -- long ago. I am far from being certain about it.

*Will look it up...

...later

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 06:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are probably right. A simple cleaning and sterilization would work for bottles.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-21-2010 08:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
Actually, I think that cans are better for recycling. I'm not sure about the total carbon footprint or anything like that, though.

Quote:
Coca-Cola Great Britain teamed up with the Carbon Trust to determine the greenhouse gas emissions involved in the life cycle of glass, metal and plastic packaging, and found that the carbon footprint of glass packaging is more than double the impact of using aluminum cans.

- http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-t ... aging.html

Yeah, I know, soda isn't beer but the ideas still apply.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that was also mentioned in the article in Bon Appetit that I'd read. they're much heavier and bulkier so it takes more fuel to transport them, and in most of the US they're just dumped into bulk recycling rather than returned for a deposit and hypothetically reused.

also, guiness tastes metallic because it's complete shit. most stouts (even from bottles) have at least some metallic taste in my experience.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Quote:
Coca-Cola Great Britain teamed up with the Carbon Trust to determine the greenhouse gas emissions involved in the life cycle of glass, metal and plastic packaging, and found that the carbon footprint of glass packaging is more than double the impact of using aluminum cans.

- http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-t ... aging.html

Yeah, I know, soda isn't beer but the ideas still apply.

Thanks! I was feeling too lazy to look it up. :up:

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting to know. It still seems counter intuitive to me -- I would expect glass to be simpler to process when you take into account finding and gathering all the raw materials and such.
I guess I did just make up my facts. :)

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:

1. Bottles vs. cans: Had Guinness from a can about 3 years ago, and the metallic taste was atrocious. So bottles win that point for me. Also, bottles are typically more environmentally sound, esp if you buy them somewhere w/ a bottle deposit and they get reused. So point #2 for bottles. I find bottles are easier to hold and drink if you don't have a glass on hand, and they're easier to pour if you do. Finally, as to protecting the beer from UV, my beer isn't kept in the window sill to begin with, so that's hardly a worry.

bottles are better in everyway.

i always choose cans tho.

inside each brand new only used once can is a plastic liner, of corce right, rofl cant have food product in contact with any metals. just like other canned goods.

anyways the metel taste prolly wouldnt be there if your mouth didnt touch the top of the can.

so pour beer from can into glass. sorted.

Last edited by plained on 01-22-2010 08:22 AM, edited 1 time in total.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:

o rly u doen say

who payed and has to gain by result lol

glass is better in every way./

alum is very very heavy envioro trouble to produce.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
bottles are better in everyway.

i always choose cans tho.

inside each brand new only used once can is a plastic liner, of corce right, rofl cant have food product in contact with any metals. just like other canned goods.

anyways the metel taste prolly wouldnt be there if your mouth didnt touch the top of the can.

so pour beer from can into glass. sorted.

I appreciate the suggestion to pour into a glass... but that's what I did. :)
I don't drink straight from a can, or even a bottle, unless I'm at a party and a glass isn't available.

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't just a bad can of Guinness. :shrug:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

omg can there be such a thing ?

a bad guinness that is :p

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-22-2010 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I likes me a bit of Guinness, but out of a can is just wrong...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-25-2010 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-26-2010 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 01-27-2010 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe. A few years ago the gas station near my place mis-tagged 6 packs of Bass for something like $4.25. I'm not proud of those two weeks in my life, but suffice to say, Bass holds a special place in my tender heart. :tear: :drool:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-27-2010 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i watched a show on PBS bout beer bottles and not broken ones get washed/sanitized and off to the market.

i've never noticed a difference between can/bottle taste wise, only difference is that you can return the can for a refund.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dear beer fans: I need some suggestions.

I'm heading to THIS PLACE tomorrow, and I'm looking for recommendations on new stuff to try.

From their list, I've previously had:

Bell’s 2 Hearted
Delerium Tremens
Harp
St. Bernardus Abt 12 <-- (I maybe think I ordered this and they didn't have it)
Summit IPA and EPA
Leffe Blonde
Chimay
Fat Tire
Kwak
New Holland Dragon's Milk
Pacifico
Surly Bender
Westmalle Tripel
And of course all the typicals -- Guinness, Newcastle, PBR, Stella, etc.

So, omniscient experts... what should be next?
I'm leaning toward a Westmalle Dubbel, but what else?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't really care for the Sapporo. I tried the Young's Double Chocolate Stout a few years ago, seems like it was pretty good.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-05-2010 11:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Koningshoeven Quadruple. It's a fucking ace blonde.
Aventinus. It's a fucking ace dark.
Ommegang Three Philosophers. More of a fruity wine taste but good.

In fact, the first two I mentioned are two of my top favorites so far.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.