Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Also, thick malty goodness from SA.

Couldn't find any Samuel Adams Cream Stout at the local market. They did have Black Lager by Samuel Adams, picked up a six pack and will try one this evening

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 02:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the black lager. If you don't like it, don't judge the entire brewery by it.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 05:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I'm not a fan of the black lager. If you don't like it, don't judge the entire brewery by it.

After sampling the Black Lager I don't think it compares to Fat Tire in taste, not a bad beer but think I will go back to drinking Fat Tire when buying beer.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find most of New Belgium's stuff is overrated, especially Fat Tire.

But don't take that as an insult, lars. I used to dislike all beer except Guinness (I had mostly only tried cheap crap), and when I first tried Fat Tire I was a big fan. It was a beer that made me realize not everything had to taste like piss-water. But as I tried more and more varieties, I came to realize that Fat Tire is far from the top rung. I'd consider it a good transition beer -- a stepping off point for finding other stuff you like.

Now, that said, I am a HUGE fan of Fat Tire's sister beer, 1554.
And on the other end of the spectrum, New Belgium's Mothership Wit is positively heinous.

Anyway, today I had a 22oz bottle of Vine Park Brewery's Irish Stout.
For the past couple of months I've been working my way through seventy-four bottles of that and a Dortmunder Export.
My camera is busted, though, so no pics of the epic collection of bottles in my basement...

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:
I find most of New Belgium's stuff is overrated, especially Fat Tire.

But don't take that as an insult, lars. I used to dislike all beer except Guinness (I had mostly only tried cheap crap), and when I first tried Fat Tire I was a big fan. It was a beer that made me realize not everything had to taste like piss-water. But as I tried more and more varieties, I came to realize that Fat Tire is far from the top rung. I'd consider it a good transition beer -- a stepping off point for finding other stuff you like.

Now, that said, I am a HUGE fan of Fat Tire's sister beer, 1554.
And on the other end of the spectrum, New Belgium's Mothership Wit is positively heinous.

Anyway, today I had a 22oz bottle of Vine Park Brewery's Irish Stout.
For the past couple of months I've been working my way through seventy-four bottles of that and a Dortmunder Export.
My camera is busted, though, so no pics of the epic collection of bottles in my basement...

No insult taken *smile*, I'm not much of a beer drinker so am open to advice and am willing to sample recommended brews. In my neck of the woods New Belgium’s 1554 and Wit doesn't exist so am stuck with Fat Tire and two below *Haven't sampled it yet*.

Interesting site you posted, didn't realize that you could brew your own beers * Vine Park Brewery* (thanks for the link). I drink so little that for the time being think I will stick with the commercial brewers.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars63 wrote:
No insult taken *smile*, I'm not much of a beer drinker so am open to advice and am willing to sample recommended brews. In my neck of the woods New Belgium’s 1554 and Wit doesn't exist so am stuck with Fat Tire and two below *Haven't sampled it yet*.

Interesting site you posted, didn't realize that you could brew your own beers * Vine Park Brewery* (thanks for the link). I drink so little that for the time being think I will stick with the commercial brewers.

Heh... Vine Park is sort of a "fake" home-brew. You just reserve a kettle or two and the brewmaster tells you what to pour into it. Then they do the brewing and you come back two weeks later to bottle it.

But lots of people brew their own beer in their house. Just buy a kit like this and away you go...
I've never done it, but I have a couple friends who are really into it. They tell me it's dead easy.
IIRC, someone here on q3w does it too, but I might be making that up.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fat Tire is a wonderful stand-by beer. Most restaurants and bars have it on tap here, and you can't go wrong with it. I'm also a fan of the Mothership Wit, but it's a completely different drink. I've only had Blue Paddle recently - it's not bad, but probably not something I'll pick up unless there's nothing else decent to be had. I personally think the 1554 is overrated, but to each their own. :)
I recently picked up a New Belgium winter sampler 12 pack on the way to dinner at a friend's house. I didn't get a chance to drink any of them though, and left it with them since I didn't have time to pick up a bottle of wine that night. :(

@Menkent, I love the Hoptoberfest. And @ Fender, 90 Minute IPA is one of my fav beers period. I also really like Terrapin's Rye. You might try it if you enjoy strong hops with your full-flavored brews (if you haven't already).

We have a brewery here called Yazoo that has a couple of decent beers, but I'm not sure if they're available anywhere else in the country. One ale in particular - Dos Perros - is terrific, in case you see it anywhere.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, on the Sam Adams brews (I'm reading the thread backwards), I think the Winter Brew this year is actually a different beer than the Winter Lager. I don't remember it having such a strong spice to it like this year's does. I asked for a Sam Adams Winter the other night, got this new one, and was quite surprised. It seems more like a seasonal winter ale - but with spices nearly as strong as a pumpkin ale, which I'm not really a fan of, but it wasn't bad.

Form, thanks for the heads up on the other Sammy's, I'll have to check out the Imperial and the Pale Ale for sure.

Also, I had this one at a bar downtown some time ago, but haven't seen it anywhere since:

http://www.oskarblues.com/the-brews/dales-pale-ale

It was a delicious pale ale, but I had it on tap. I'm not really sure what to think about it being canned instead of bottled. I think aluminum cans would taint the taste of a good beer. But since I've never really had a great beer from a can, I guess I shouldn't knock it without trying it.
I also had their Mama's Little Yellow Pils, but wasn't very impressed. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of pilsners, so no big surprise.

Haven't had any of their other brews, but I've been on the lookout for them. Old Chub definitely sounds interesting. If you're a stout pioneer, maybe you can check out the Ten Fidy and tell me how it was -- I don't think I'm going to touch it. :)

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I never made it around to winter welcome this season. I wonder if anybody has any left around me.

Had a couple DFH 90 Minute IPAs last night. That's a great IPA, way better than the 60 Minute.

word, 90 minute IPA is damn good. but not nearly as good as their 120 IPA. the 120 minute IPA is magical. it can be hard to find. my main beer stop that usually carries the 120 IPA hasn't had it for a couple months now. it's one of those hit or miss brews that when you see it you might be turned off by the price, but damn is it worth every last penny.

anywho...one of the best beers i've ever had. deschutes abyss. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/34420
i had one of these 2 years ago and another about 4 months ago. this beer is REALLY REALLY rare but well worth the hunt. if you consider yourself a true beer drinker then you're selling youself short until you've had one of these. deschutes brews in general dont impress me much, but their specialty brews are simply amazing.

lastly, a beer that i was radomly introduced to is widmer's pitch black IPA. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/54262
wow. i mean. wow. if you like strong IPAs and stouts then this beer is perfect for you. i have never. ever. ever. tasted a beer that has such a strong bite yet a strong smooth aftertaste that makes you want to savour it for hours on end. it is a straight up IPA/Stout hybrid that will make you wanting more. at 6.5% the beer is perfect for those who enjoy beer but dont drink much and those who enjoy beer and drink a lot. this beer is an amazing middle ground, but to be honest, there is nothing average about it at all.

on a related sad note. widmer recenlty lost 250 barrels of an imperrial IPA due to power outtages. suck.

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 03:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and, being a snob here, :olo: at fat tire. i mean, i can understand how this beer became so popular, but at the same time i can see why the popularity of this beer is doing a straight nose dive. fat tire can seem flavorful and strong to those who don't drink beer often, yet is still accessible. for the "seasoned" beer drinker it feels like a fun alternative. but to be honest, this beer is straight up BLAND compared to a lot of the brews coming out now. even for those who don't really enjoy or drink beer a lot, there are brews out there now that i garuntee will blow your mind compared to fat tire. the hard part is actually trying new brews--or even having access to them. a few years ago i knew at least 15 peeps who swore by fat tire...now they can't stand the stuff. it is a straight up fad beer that is past its prime.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k, Sam Smith != Sam Adams

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was replying to Form and Scourge's Sam Adams comments on page 2.

Guess I should have quoted them, but I was just too lazy.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
on a related sad note. widmer recenlty lost 250 barrels of an imperrial IPA due to power outtages. suck.

Shame it wasn't their hefeweisen -- that stuff is terrible.

Oh, and the Saucer here serves the 120 minute IPA. It's good, but you really have to be in the mood to drink it. I'm not sure what the ABV is on it, but it tastes like it's giving barleywines a run for their money. Very rich and full though. The flavor reminds me of a port/dessert wine.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
the 120 minute IPA is magical. it can be hard to find. my main beer stop that usually carries the 120 IPA hasn't had it for a couple months now.

come to the east coast. only $9.99 a bottle :o

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-10-2010 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought it was good, but not so good that i'd pay at least $7.50 for one (retail, never seen it in a bar).

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-11-2010 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, it's even more expensive in bars - at least, it is in the Saucer. Can't remember exactly how much, but it was something like 12 bucks, just for a snifter.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 01-13-2010 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm heading over to the Saucer to enjoy a couple of this place's brew's:

http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/

Since it's brewery night, I may wind up wanting a pint glass or two.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-13-2010 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've had Brooklyn's lager and brown ale - both were decent, but not great. iirc the brown ale had a bit of an unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-15-2010 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a chance to sample another New Belgium beer this evening 'Abbey' unique in flavor, not a bad beer. Still looking for 'Wit' and '1554'

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-15-2010 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I found some Russian, Czech and Ukraine beers at a local international mart here in the states (sorry for the crap cell pic). Baltika I guess is like the Budwiser of Russia. The No. 9 (Extra Lager) has 8% alcohol, so I guess it is like the Colt 45 of Russia. I also found Obolon (Czech) and Bakalar (Ukranian). All have much higher alcohol content than domestic beers, but also even though they are probably common beers where they come from, they have a lot more taste to them than the standard mass produced US beers. :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-15-2010 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried a couple of the Baltika beers. 9 and 7 it think it was. The 9 was ok, didn't care for the other. Probably won't ever get them again though.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tonight i'll be drinking

then

finally

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 04:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sapphire is good. I fixed a buddy's computer and he got me a bottle of Hendrick's. I'd never had it before. Pretty good.
http://www.hendricksgin.com/

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

carling is fucking rank. Useful only for powershandy

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
carling is fucking rank.

Yeah, it's considered low budget, bottom of the barrel beer here. Probably only beaten by Schaefer and Schlitz for pure nastiness.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does anyone remember this beer? Generic and 89 cents the six pack? *sigh* I'm showing my age with this post. 89 cent a six pack beer, cigarettes were 20 cents a pack and gasoline was 14 cents a gallon, those were the days

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS: It tasted like dog piss. (NASTY)

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

grolsch is some nasty poop, too.
oh, and hendricks > bombay. it doesn't taste as "ginny" (more cucumber than juniper), but i love that stuff.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 01-16-2010 09:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smuttynose: the only good thing to ever come out of New Hampshire

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 01:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not the biggest fan of gin. especially bombay. though, as a mixer, gin is bomb.com.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 02:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the Gin. Bombay is the way to go. Mmmmmmmm

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-17-2010 05:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, draught chang is the way to go.
bottled is for nubs and germans.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bottled owns for the simple fact that I can wrap it in my bottle cooler and keep it chilled on the beach.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-18-2010 01:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but, it tastes so different.
its also nonregulated therefore not too predictable in both taste and alcoholpercentage =/

if youre gonna go bottled, go san miguel :clownboat:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.