Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Real Beer Advocates, Unite............

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 04-22-2009 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll be on the lookout for some of those this weekend. :up:

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 04-22-2009 04:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did forget to mention that their like 10 bucks per 4 pack. But you will know what ya spent the cash on after ya get done with two of them. And sadly they are also 12 oz bottles.......

But don't let that keep you from some of the best Beir goodness out there.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 04-22-2009 06:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I at a bar with Puff... I'm having a Labatt 50, he's just ordered his second 'Smirnov Ice'.

What a pussy...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-22-2009 07:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: Thats a bitch beer.

Plus it's too sweet for my stomach...

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 04-23-2009 03:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just got two cases of this...

yum :)

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 04-23-2009 03:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had a couple other Lagunitas, but not that one.

vote! Best Midwest Craft Brewery

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-23-2009 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just poped the top on a Ninkasi Brewing Company Total Domination IPA 6.7% by vol.

not bad, will buy again if the store doesn't have my fav.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-23-2009 08:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a beer tonight that my buddy brewed himself. He calls it Right Side (no hidden political meaning). It was pretty good. I'd drink again.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 04-24-2009 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started last night with a glass of genshu sake with dinner (brewed on site, too).
Followed that with a Surly Bender. Good stuff. A little overly bitter but not to the point of distaste.

After that I went to a bar with a decent beer list fully intent on getting a Belgian. But I couldn't pass up the $2-off special on Bell's Two Hearted ale. Fantastic drink.

Finished the night at a friend's place with a bottle of Big Sky's Moose Drool and a glass of scotch.

Surly Bender (pulled from the tap, not a can):

Two Hearted (also on tap):

Moose Drool:

Last edited by werldhed on 04-24-2009 10:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 04-24-2009 09:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I had a beer tonight that my buddy brewed himself. He calls it Right Side (no hidden political meaning). It was pretty good. I'd drink again.

Six-pack or it didn't happen. :D

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 08-25-2009 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And buuuuump!

Took two trips out to a place called the Happy Gnome in Saint Paul that has more brews than you can shake a cocktail skewer at. Just take a look at their tap and bottle lists (here and here). It's one of my new favorite places for a drink (although you still can't beat this place)

Had the following drinks, all of which are fantastic (none of the photos are mine):
Orkney Dark Island Ale Creamy, mild, easy drinkability -- probably due to low alcohol content. 4.6% abv. Bottle poured. This is the best pic I could find:

Delerium Tremens - A Belgian brew that was apparently voted best beer in the world. It was on tap, so I had no idea how incredibly gay the bottle looked. Still, tasted great.

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - Holy fucking liquor, batman! This is aged in bourbon casks, and tastes like someone poured whiskey directly into an Irish stout. 14% abv and 100% win. This will grow hair on your chest and extra testicles on your testicles. Pulled from the tap.

New Holland Dragon's Milk
I got this on my second trip to this bar. I tried getting another glass of the above Bourbon County Stout, but they had just blown the keg. The server recommended this as a similar drink. Not quite as awesome, but a fine beverage none the less. 9% abv, I think. Pulled from the tap.

Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale
This stuff is fantastic. Smooth, flavorful, lots of caramel smell and taste. I definitely plan to order it again next time I'm there. I think it was my favorite of them all. Bottle poured.

I also had a Belgian Trippel, but I can't remember the name right now, but it too was a winner.

*edited to include drink list

Last edited by werldhed on 08-25-2009 02:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-25-2009 02:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn those look good. The beer I ordered from Brew Dog came in today but I'll have to sign for them tomorrow.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 08-25-2009 04:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

picked up those on the way home Friday night
The 90 Minute IPA was delicious. Not as harsh as the 60.

Always Watching
Always Watching
PostPosted: 08-25-2009 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm so glad you all are expanding on your tastes in Ales and IPA's and what not.

Swill beer is for domesticated pussy's like scared.

Happy drinking.

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 08-26-2009 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

werldhed wrote:
I also had a Belgian Trippel, but I can't remember the name right now, but it too was a winner.

Image?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 08-26-2009 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+1 for Westmalle. Both the dubbels and the tripels are great.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-26-2009 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My order from Brewdog came in today:

I love the attention to detail on the bottling; it seems like most craft companies just use an inkjet printer and some elmers glue. Now I need to figure out if I'm saving these for my birthday, a weekend, or popping one tonight :cool:

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 08-26-2009 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never tasted one.. I dislike the hipster font on the label though..

Im driking hertog jan right now.. feels good man.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-26-2009 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gluten yum!

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-29-2009 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Picked up one of these today after trying the Arrogant Bastard. 6.9% and hoppy like a mother fucker. I like it. The hops flavor lingers for a while. Also picked up some Sam Adams Boston Ale and Shiner Commemorator.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-29-2009 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried one of the Tokyo*s the other night. It's good but it isn't something I'd want to have very often. It's a bit like a belgian quadrupel mixed with an imperial stout and has absolutely no head. The color and texture is about like heavily used motor oil. The taste like coats your throat and sticks with you for a while. Hell I burped a couple times and it felt like I had taken another drink. The alcohol is definitely noticeable too, I was starting a nice buzz just finishing off one.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-29-2009 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a very aquired taste.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 08-29-2009 02:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea by the time I was nearing the bottom it was tasting a lot better. I'm waiting to try the others with a friend so they can have a drink too.

Never been a big fan of IPA but I do want to try some from this brewer I heard of. IPA started out as the result of beer being hauled over the seas in a ship ride from Europe to India. There's a new company that wants to brew IPA the same way rather than faking it so to speak.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 04:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i loves me some Winter Welcome. <3

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 08:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In the fridge right now:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Samuel Adams spring seasonal. Noble pils. Not bad.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 09:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just discovered this stuff. I'm not much of a beer drinker so don't take this as gospel. IMHOP this will roxxers your boxers. I'm a light weight, two beers I'm well north of south and three it's lights out folks,

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars63 wrote:
I've just discovered this stuff. I'm not much of a beer drinker so don't take this as gospel. IMHOP this will roxxers your boxers. I'm a light weight, two beers I'm well north of south and three it's lights out folks,

I've had some. It's not bad at all. Pretty good stuff. :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 10:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, thick malty goodness from SA.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have never tried a Samuel Adams brew next time I'm in a beer drinking mood will look this up. Thanks for the heads up :)

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Be warned, if you think Fat Tire has a strong flavor, then be careful. Some of the Sam Adams are a bit bitter or strong in flavor. But I think they are pretty good and worth the try anyway. Some of the other beers posted in this thread are much stronger and more 'flavorfull' than the SA beers, but if you're not used to craft beers and whatnot, they can seem pretty potent. Enjoy though. :)

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 01-08-2010 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm a light weight, I've only drank three beers in my entire life * I'm 61 *. Budweiser, George Killians Irish Red and Fat Tire. Yes sir, I do think Fat Tire has a strong flavor so will keep that in mind when I buy my first SA beer.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never made it around to winter welcome this season. I wonder if anybody has any left around me.

Had a couple DFH 90 Minute IPAs last night. That's a great IPA, way better than the 60 Minute.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-09-2010 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Fat Tire is pretty good, but i like some of the other beers by New Belgium even more:
Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle (is ok), 1554, skinny dip (good for hot summer days), 2° Below, Hoptober (woot), etc

oh, and for those of us in the Austin area I think Alamo Village has Winter Welcome on draft. movie + good beer = the win. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.