Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Want the Yuotubes on your WM6 phone?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Want the Yuotubes on your WM6 phone?

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 12-04-2008 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, I was trying to scrape up some info in WM6.1 tonight and I came across Skyfire.

So far it's great. It's not clunky like IE and it's free, unlike Opera.

It may be a wee bit slow, but it IS still in beta, and from what I can tell, it looks like it's doing some of the fancier stuff on-phone (instead of by proxy like Opera).

Anyways, just thought I'd pass it along. This is the first time I've had Flash/Ajax working on my phone. Pretty nifty neato.

PostPosted: 12-04-2008 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Take it Opera is still tip top.

Don't be koi
Don't be koi
PostPosted: 12-04-2008 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, full blown Opera on mobiles is the best I've seen before this. Opera Mini (runs in a JRE) sucks almost as bad as IE.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-05-2008 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have windows mobile 5...

will youtube work on it? i don tthink it supports java?

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-05-2008 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nevermind...it works. seems like a cool program, thanks.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-05-2008 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm waiting for more android phones to come out.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-06-2008 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
Take it Opera is still tip top.

Opera for normal browsing, i like better i think. Tabs are to nice to get rid of. For video tho, skyfire wins hands down..

l0g1c wrote:
So, I was trying to scrape up some info in WM6.1 tonight and I came across Skyfire.

So far it's great. It's not clunky like IE and it's free, unlike Opera.

It may be a wee bit slow, but it IS still in beta, and from what I can tell, it looks like it's doing some of the fancier stuff on-phone (instead of by proxy like Opera).

Anyways, just thought I'd pass it along. This is the first time I've had Flash/Ajax working on my phone. Pretty nifty neato.

Old!

But still rad as hell, Been using it for a month or so. Love it alot.

Btw what phone do you have? My HTC Touch (CDMA) chugs like fuck on youtube videos. But, a friends blackjack II runs smooth as silk. It seems sort of random on what phones itll run good or bad on. When my touch pro gets here ill test it as well..

Dr_Watson wrote:

Got an HTC? I have android on my touch right now. Its fun to fuck around with.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-06-2008 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on my motorola Q the youtube videos run ok. its a little slow to load up skyfire at the beginning though.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-06-2008 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
on my motorola Q the youtube videos run ok. its a little slow to load up skyfire at the beginning though.

Maybe its touchflo dragging it down. Might uninstall it and see what happens.

Not like i use the old touchflo anyways, its near useless. I do really like the HOME plugin tho. Id miss losing that one.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-07-2008 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iPhone 3G > *

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-07-2008 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HTC Diamond Touch > *

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-07-2008 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Dr_Watson wrote:

Got an HTC? I have android on my touch right now. Its fun to fuck around with.

the only one they sell here is the HTC G1 and it just looks and feels like a big brick of shit to me.
I'm still too in love with my razr

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
HTC Diamond Touch > *

HTC Touch Pro > Diamond.

fact.

Mines in the mail. Stuck with the normal touch til then.

dmmh wrote:
iPhone 3G > *

Send me a picture message.

Oh wait..

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Doombrain wrote:
HTC Diamond Touch > *

HTC Touch Pro > Diamond.

fact.

Mines in the mail. Stuck with the normal touch til then.

dmmh wrote:
iPhone 3G > *

Send me a picture message.

Oh wait..

yeah, I use that on a daily basis. I also receive MMS messages on a daily basis! Oh wait...
Besides, I actually can receive and send MMS messages :p

And you can't beat the media player on an iPhone. I've had WM based phones and in the end, they all suck, because....well, it's Windows.
my phone is so hot, I have to lock my email and sms apps with a password because everybody wants to play with it :p

at least is has the youtubes :p

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, coming from the man that creamed about XP for years.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am not saying anything about their desktops, just about their OS for mobile phones, loombrain

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 09:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-08-2008 03:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dmmh wrote:
yeah, I use that on a daily basis. I also receive MMS messages on a daily basis! Oh wait...
Besides, I actually can receive and send MMS messages :p

And you can't beat the media player on an iPhone. I've had WM based phones and in the end, they all suck, because....well, it's Windows.
my phone is so hot, I have to lock my email and sms apps with a password because everybody wants to play with it :p

at least is has the youtubes :p

What app are you using for MMS?Edit. Swirly. Looks alright actually. unlike that twitter or w/e one that sent LINKS to images. O-o

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 12:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there are some small things lacking on the iPhone, but it is the first brand of phone I switched to besides Nokia that didn't make me regret it within a month.

the firmware updates are regular and I am sure the minor stuff will be polished out in a while, I can live with it :-)

SwirlyMMS is quite ok indeed. Works like it should, nothing more, nothing less! :)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 10:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Won't fit in your pocket.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

most men tend not to wear women's pants

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most phones are small enough to fit in mens trousers.

PostPosted: 12-09-2008 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Modding/homebrewing scene for WM is lively. iPhone is a pretty locked up format to work with atm, comparatively.

So contrary to dmmh's claim, you'll find many glassy, faux-iPhone, and generally gay themes and UIs on WM. Plenty of cooked ROMs as well.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
Modding/homebrewing scene for WM is lively. iPhone is a pretty locked up format to work with atm, comparatively.

So contrary to dmmh's claim, you'll find many glassy, faux-iPhone, and generally gay themes and UIs on WM. Plenty of cooked ROMs as well.

didnt realise I claimed there weren't any gay themes or super-dooper-custom-roms available for WM, nor that I did for that matter :p

iPhone isn't as locked up as Apple wants you to believe :)
Well, it is locked ofcourse, but Cydia with zillion of available over-the-air-apps can be installed on a modded firmware, which is like a 5 click, push 6 buttons, wait 10 minutes deal.
there's loads of apps not approved by Apple online, many many more then there are available from the AppStore ;)
And I don't need to connect my damn phone to a computer each time I want something new, you can do it when commuting or whatever, that's a big plus to me.

if you want to know the real downsides: http://pleasefixtheiphone.com/ :smirk:
most things I dont miss, not even copy and paste :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

trousers, pants, who cares :p

it really is not that big.

PostPosted: 12-09-2008 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who says anything about syncing? WM devices can functional pretty much fully independent of desktops now.

Ultimately, when it comes to flexibility of use, WM format is still tops. iPhone still has it on stream-lined out of box ease of use, but it's still a bother to get what you want out of it at times.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dmmh wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

trousers, pants, who cares :p

it really is not that big.

na, joking aside it is a big phone and delicate too. other than that it's a nice phone. it's just not that good when your company is windows based over citrix.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2008 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
Who says anything about syncing? WM devices can functional pretty much fully independent of desktops now.

Ultimately, when it comes to flexibility of use, WM format is still tops. iPhone still has it on stream-lined out of box ease of use, but it's still a bother to get what you want out of it at times.

I meant, that with the iPhone, you can install applications from anywhere, not only by syncing it with your computer. I think that is very convenient.

One thing that bothers me most with the iPhone, is syncing t.b.h.
It's impossible to sync an iPhone with both a Exchange server and your own computer. Well, it can be done, but your appointments and contact (mail works like it should) already there will be overwritten afaik. So now I just don't sync my contacts and appointments from my work account, but that basically sucks, because you have to keep track of 2 calenders :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.