Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So Blu-ray...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So Blu-ray...

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 03:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bought a player a couple weeks ago (Black Friday weekend). I've rented a couple movies since then, specifically The Dark Knight last night. Most of the movie is in 2.4:1 aspect ratio and of decent picture quality. Not zOMG-there's-6-times-the-pixels better, but definitely better than DVD. Certain scenes however are 16:9 (1.78:1) IMAX and they look out-fucking-standing. The difference between the two was quite drastic. Has anyone else watched a significant number of movies on blu-ray and only been moderately impressed with the picture quality? I would think that a major release like The Dark Knight would have the best production from beginning to end, not just on the IMAX sequences. I can understand if an older movie re-released on blu-ray might not look quite as good as the format can support, but a major title like this should be a jaw-dropping exhibition of the format's capabilities.

/rant

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 03:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I've heard about this too. I'm just waiting till the studio's start using digital camera's that compare to the regular film cam's. Then we won't see anymore grain, and things should look fantastic. I'm pretty sure Jumper was filmed using Red digital cam's, I'll have to look into it.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not so much the age of the movie (2001 blu ray looks fantastic) but often how early a movie was put on blu ray... (many of the movies in the early wave of blu ray releases were underwhelming or just plain shit). Still a lot of growing pains with the format. Eastern Promises looks ace. T2 is dogshit souffle yet Blade Runner looks unbelievable. It just depends on how much care went into preparing and encoding the flick for the format.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 04:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

depends on your tv

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hannibal wrote:
It's not so much the age of the movie (2001 blu ray looks fantastic) but often how early a movie was put on blu ray... (many of the movies in the early wave of blu ray releases were underwhelming or just plain shit). Still a lot of growing pains with the format. Eastern Promises looks ace. T2 is dogshit souffle yet Blade Runner looks unbelievable. It just depends on how much care went into preparing and encoding the flick for the format.

This is very true. I remember watching Firefly on DVD and thinking that it looked like it was encoded to an avi format. Then I watch a DVD like T2, and everything looked very sharp.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

depends on the transfer. i've yet to see a br that's 6x better. some are marginal at best and not worth re-buying.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 05:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:
depends on the transfer. i've yet to see a br that's 6x better. some are marginal at best and not worth re-buying.

Honestly, some movies look worse because the grain of the film that is exposed by the increased resolution can become very distracting.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have always wondered about the grain and etc, there was movies and etc that i've seen that where just terrible for them, and it was getting on my Nerves..

The last TV we had ( Early Plasma ) it Was Grainy and pixelated, Now that we have this new Set, i was expecting all of those issues to be a thing of the past.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 06:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its not something that a new piece of home equipment can fix. It's all about what the movie is filmed on, and how it is mastered.

I remember watching the movie Scanners on some HD channel and the grain from the film transfer was awful.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wall-E looked good.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 10:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ign dvd reviews said that the blu-ray version of dark knight looked amazing. i dont know as i havent seen it myself and i dont have an eye for these things. :shrug:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
Its not something that a new piece of home equipment can fix. It's all about what the movie is filmed on, and how it is mastered.

I remember watching the movie Scanners on some HD channel and the grain from the film transfer was awful.

the TV was known for it, as will as the Pixelation... i figured it would basically be GONE ( with a slight amount still staying ) with the new LCD...

again, i didn't think of it as Film Transferring, and it makes sense now.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
ign dvd reviews said that the blu-ray version of dark knight looked amazing. i dont know as i havent seen it myself and i dont have an eye for these things. :shrug:

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/934/934585p1.html

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find it just very much depends on the movie. A film you expect to look realy good often ends up looking shit.

The best looking (non-animated) film I have seen so far was Zulu, the old Michael Caine film. Looked incredible, and that film is older than DRuM's testicles.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-14-2008 11:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix looked ace on Blu-ray.
I also spent some time with The Presteige on DVD and HD DVD. I paused the film in exactly same and switched from the DVD to the HD DVD and the difference was quite impressive to be honest

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't seen dark night yet, it's coming today. it depends on a few things first of which is the settings. sounds stupid but make sure the player is set to 720/1080p as Samsung players default to SD res.
next is the TV settings, having a good TV not some cheap shit 1080p, which stands to reason and the last is the HD conversion. Some of which suck ass, like Oceans 13.

Having said that almost all of the HD/BR films I’ve seen have been ten times sharper then SD films and Batman Begins, for me, represented the shift in better quality.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am getting Iron Man on Blu-ray for Christmas and I have high hopes for that conversion. I am gussing all the new Star Wars films should look amazing on Blu-ray as they were filmed with digital cameras.

Batman Begins is also making its way to me at Christmas so I will let you know what I think of that once I have watched it, as I know you care!

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 02:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've noticed that some movies have incredible details in HD/BR formats compared to SD while others look just as good with upconverting on a standard DVD as the the "HD" format. it all comes down to the production of each film. superbad looks the same in dvd and blu-ray to me. top gun, however, wow. that's a world of difference. you can see the man-stache on that blonde bimbo and the scene where they french kiss in the dark is just fucking nasty; it's like two slugs fighting for control of france.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I am getting Iron Man on Blu-ray for Christmas and I have high hopes for that conversion. I am gussing all the new Star Wars films should look amazing on Blu-ray as they were filmed with digital cameras.

Batman Begins is also making its way to me at Christmas so I will let you know what I think of that once I have watched it, as I know you care!

who cares what the new star wars films look like :yawn:

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 03:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
i've noticed that some movies have incredible details in HD/BR formats compared to SD while others look just as good with upconverting on a standard DVD as the the "HD" format. it all comes down to the production of each film. superbad looks the same in dvd and blu-ray to me. top gun, however, wow. that's a world of difference. you can see the man-stache on that blonde bimbo and the scene where they french kiss in the dark is just fucking nasty; it's like two slugs fighting for control of france.

:drool:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 03:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

who cares what the new star wars films look like :yawn:

Star Wars fans? :confused:

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought most star wars fans hated the new ones

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought Apocalypto and Pan's Labyrinth both looked absolutely outstanding on Blu Ray. Damn good movies too.

Edit: Cheers for the tip on Zulu Pauly, I'll look at picking that up.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

+JuggerNaut+ wrote:

I guess that's my gripe. Why does part of this movie have an amazing transfer and part only marginal? It is almost like they didn't film the "regular" parts of the movie in high-def. Then they switch to the IMAX sequences and BAM! the quality is just amazing.

I guess I'll just have to wait for x-mas to open BoB and Planet Earth. Those should look incredible.

edit: and Gyllenhaal is a troll compared to Katie Holmes, at least from the neck up.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 05:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

w3rd on Maggie. Rubbish

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I thought Apocalypto and Pan's Labyrinth both looked absolutely outstanding on Blu Ray. Damn good movies too.

Edit: Cheers for the tip on Zulu Pauly, I'll look at picking that up.

am i the only one that thought that pan's labyrinth was very overrated?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 06:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah getting Iron Man, Indy 4 and Dark Knight on Blu for crimbo...

I've heard nothing but good shit about Iron Mans quality... And then even more good shit about Dark Knight. Dark Knight is THE standard.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a shame the film's boring after the first watch.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

which film?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 07:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Knight? It was fine, good film. I'm hoping the BluRay/DVD has a few extra scenes that make the plot hold together a bit better, because it jumped around a little too much for ne at the cinema.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This scene never gets old: Clicky

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iron Man

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh. i didnt think that movie was that good even on the first viewing.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 12-15-2008 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was a bit meh

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.