Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Couple questions for you iPhone peeps...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Couple questions for you iPhone peeps...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-02-2009 06:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do any of you know of any good multiplayer games for the iPhone?

Also, does anyone know anything about jailbreaking the iPhone? I'm considering doing it, but I'd like to know the pros and cons. Would this void my warranty? Any info on this would be cool...

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-02-2009 09:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would you want to play games on the iPhone? Wouldn't that suck the battery faster than a $2 whore, leaving you without a working phone?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-02-2009 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. I would imagine.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-02-2009 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes you break your warranty, but it's easy to go back and restore in itunes without losing your data.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually no it doesnt suck your battery down. And if I had a low battery, I obviously wouldn't do anything to suck it dry. Common sense...

Ya I knew I could restore it. But I didn't know if it would still be void if you did. If I've got the new 3g, is winterboard what I need to use?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They just hacked the 3G with the yellowsnow jailbreak. I haven't tried it yet since it's all very beta.

There are some great games for the iPhone, not sure why you want to do multiplayer. There's always chess.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-03-2009 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Actually no it doesnt suck your battery down. And if I had a low battery, I obviously wouldn't do anything to suck it dry. Common sense...

Ya I knew I could restore it. But I didn't know if it would still be void if you did. If I've got the new 3g, is winterboard what I need to use?

? winterboard is for themes. it's not what you use to jailbreak. just look it up and do it already. it's easy.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
They just hacked the 3G with the yellowsnow jailbreak. I haven't tried it yet since it's all very beta.

There are some great games for the iPhone, not sure why you want to do multiplayer. There's always chess.

Yellowsnow huh? I'll check it out, thanks.

And I want to play multiplayer for the same reason you, me, or anyone ever plays multiplayer. I want to play with my other friends that have iPhones...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:

It seems super stable tho.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's not.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not much of a gadget person, but I really want an iPhone.

PostPosted: 01-04-2009 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iPhone is ok, but it's been bettered by HTC ripoffs and the like.

If you like low hassle ease of use, are willing to sacrifice flexibility (battery, corp. environment, etc.) and don't mind the relative price premium, it might be to your liking.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-04-2009 11:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
iPhone is ok, but it's been bettered by HTC ripoffs and the like.

If you like low hassle ease of use, are willing to sacrifice flexibility (battery, corp. environment, etc.) and don't mind the relative price premium, it might be to your liking.

Yeah, I'd really like to take a serious look at one of the Android phones. There's alot of promise there. And I'm getting so tired of Apple's bullshit. Sure, they make a nice OS for their computers. Family tech support is much more relaxing now that everyone has Macs. Doesn't mean I want to keep buying iPods every 2 years for the rest of my life.

Once I get the energy to wade through all the bs in Canada's craptastic mobile market, I might try and figure out if it's even possible to use an Android phone in Canada right now, legally or not.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-05-2009 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Therac-25 wrote:
Yeah, I'd really like to take a serious look at one of the Android phones. There's alot of promise there. And I'm getting so tired of Apple's bullshit. Sure, they make a nice OS for their computers. Family tech support is much more relaxing now that everyone has Macs. Doesn't mean I want to keep buying iPods every 2 years for the rest of my life.

Once I get the energy to wade through all the bs in Canada's craptastic mobile market, I might try and figure out if it's even possible to use an Android phone in Canada right now, legally or not.

Quite. I'm done with the Mac ads personally; their OS has its own set of annoyances that, while different than Vista, are no less aggravating. As for the lifestyle image they are trying to project, and the brainless fans who identify with it, fuck off.

I don't own an iPod.

Hadn't heard of this Android phone yet, will explore it more fully. Not really sure what options I will have yet though. For various reasons over the years all of Rogers, Telus, and Bell have pissed me off. Rogers seems to be improving however (they now let Pay Go customers roam to Europe, which is nice) and might be worth sticking with.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-05-2009 08:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bilirubin wrote:
Quite. I'm done with the Mac ads personally; their OS has its own set of annoyances that, while different than Vista, are no less aggravating.

I'm not going to go that far. I can now ssh into my parent's boxes to help them more effectively than I ever could with XP or Vista (since they'd have to buy Vista Pro or higher for RD to work...). It's just a BSD Unix with a wonky interface And they need help far less often. I don't think I've had to give my dad tech support once yet since he bought his Mac.

Bilirubin wrote:
As for the lifestyle image they are trying to project, and the brainless fans who identify with it, fuck off.

I don't own an iPod.

Hadn't heard of this Android phone yet, will explore it more fully. Not really sure what options I will have yet though. For various reasons over the years all of Rogers, Telus, and Bell have pissed me off. Rogers seems to be improving however (they now let Pay Go customers roam to Europe, which is nice) and might be worth sticking with.

Andriod isn't a phone per se, it's an open platform/OS for developed by Google for smartphones. T-Mobile makes the HTC G1 available, which is an Android phone. The problem is, in Canada wireless phones still come with matches so that they can generate the smoke we need for the smoke signals here.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-05-2009 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Therac-25 wrote:
The problem is, in Canada wireless phones still come with matches so that they can generate the smoke we need for the smoke signals here.

Yeah, that's the sad truth. During my trip to China, I've seen poor peasants walking around with far more advanced cell phones than the ones we have here. They have way more advanced stuff over there.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-05-2009 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You got matches? Who you with? I'm stuck with flint and steel. But, I learned recently that vasoline can be a flame accelerant.

Will Hench for Food
Will Hench for Food
PostPosted: 01-06-2009 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The G1 wasn't exactly unreservedly recommended in reviews. Then again, I've just started developing small apps for the iPhone, so I'm probably biased.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.