Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What are you listening to

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What are you listening to

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remebered the Ride concert I attended last may in Amsterdam. That was so fantastic. Last time I saw them was in like '93.
That is Andy Bell, ex-Basser of Oasis on Lead and Mark Gardener on Rythm. You can tell a bit of Rock'n'Roller-life in Andy's face while Mark, who got nothing off the ground really after Ride broke up in around '99, got a little chubby.
Here's a good quality video of one concert from the tour:

Ohh, and, yeah, the nineties:

Thanks, Lasse :)

I was sober in Dam, though. Except for a few beers.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-06-2016 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-11-2016 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Found some ol Mixtapes from the 90´s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByEoGi5XOwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UJO1RTwj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUO67CXiTGs (this one is dedicated to scared?) :D

Still dont know how to embed YT :(

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-11-2016 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

90s <3

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2016 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
can we all just appreciate this little tidbit ?

Yes MKJ, just not my taste.

:arrow: Memphis. Your Game of Thrones S06E10 Soundtrack: Nice :up:

Me, just caught some LRB - Little River Band and their track Lonesome Loser

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-18-2016 11:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Classic Billy Joel - Piano Man

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-22-2016 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-23-2016 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Good one there. Good memories of an easier world :up: .

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-23-2016 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Good one there. Good memories of an easier world :up: .

Billy Paul - Me And Mrs. Jones (1972) from dubz, same :up: :tear:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not always in the mood for some baroque swing breakcore, but when I am it simply has to be Igorrr:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-30-2016 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 01:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
Igorrr - Brutal Swing

Sorry dude, you're on your own with that one.

I've been enjoying some Hammock lately.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Discovered Ladytron a couple months ago

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-31-2016 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ladytron is great

The Reason Why is my favorite.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-01-2016 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Ladytron

Like! :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-02-2016 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just love this sound, it fits great to the gameplay.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/kool-savas/op ... C690300038

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-04-2016 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
I'm not always in the mood for some baroque swing breakcore, but when I am it simply has to be Igorrr:

Not my cup of tea, sick nonetheless. Very good at the re/mixing.

"Hammock - Ten Thousand Years Won't Save Your Life" - Yep, that is a much better fit. Imagining chilling out in a hammock at Lago Izabal in Guate, some weed, headphones, great tune.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The 90´s were such a great time for music!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah Levis did notice of good shit, today we have just mobile-services like vodafone that take care of good indie music!
Sad to see that theres no new stuff from babylon-zoo, im sure they could competete well with bands like 30 seconds to mars and stuff!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good shit, cant find the original version :(

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

speaking of the 90s...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Babylon Zoo

Hell, yeah, there was a lot of crap there, too :). Early 90s, the trainwreck that the new-wave got itself into, for example. The downfall of the Sisters of Mercy, Phillip Boa, The Mission.
New bands emerged from the shadows like Primal Scream, Stone Roses, The Orb, Nirvana. The birth of affordable hardware-samplers and synthesizers for hobby musicians . The affordable home studio for professionels was stil 10-15 years in the future.
Babylon Zoo came to the scene on the mid 90s. Well, they never really came. They always sucked. Like Nickleback, only worse.
I remember, around 92, a lot of Boom-tchick-Boom-tchick-Boom-tchick- Techno came to the scene, that I never got quite into. Which was later followed by the even worse 150-160bpm jungle. That was god-aweful-stuff. Hate(d) it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plus the likes of Liam Howlett and Daft Punk, pretty much redefining scenes (prodigy killed rave etc, wtf was house before Daft Punk ?). Hip Hop just completely blew up n all and anything decent comes from that time period.

Say what you want about Jungle n all but that went off and spawned a whole load of new sub genres that are knocking around today, Dub Step ?.

But for every golden egg there's a turd that pops out, the 90s was also the birth of boy/girl bands, happy hardcore and coldplay *shudders*

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, you are right. Liam, Tricky, Bristol scene in general pumped up the volume in enomous ways, I forgot those.
What is rave, anyways? The Happy Mondays, Charlatans or what was later called trip hop?

But I stil hate Jungle. And always will. Had bad trips on it.

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 08-09-2016 11:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Yes, you are right. Liam, Tricky, Bristol scene in general pumped up the volume in enomous ways, I forgot those.
What is rave, anyways? The Happy Mondays, Charlatans or what was later called trip hop?

But I stil hate Jungle. And always will. Had bad trips on it.

I always considered it the music played at underground (rave) dance scenes and Prodigy were accused of killing it as everyone was trying to imitate them, as the underground scene found they could make money with Prodigys formula and was basically dragged into the commercial world and cheapened the scene - so now we get Global Gathering and V festival n shit.

Not my arguement, mind. All that underground shit was a flash in the pan, Prodigy just kind of solidified the scene. it just kinda evolved / decayed into garage parties n stuff.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sounds reasonable. I remember MTV calling the Mondays or Primal Scream or the Roses "Rave" early on in the 90s and suddenly over a 3 year span a rave turned into what would later become the "Mayday"-festival.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye, it was a melting pot of genres pretty much. Some of them went on to be huge scenes, others fizzled out and died. Prodigy just got labeled with rave because of their popularity and involvement with the scene and created a split in the crowds.

That era, in the early-mid 90s pretty much shaped electronic music for the next 20 years.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are not talking about the Mayday-days now, are you?
From what I remember the Mayday was exactly what I hated about that new electro-"rave-logic".
Have good electronics emerged from there?

I'm not so much into electronic music but you can't sidepass it completely nowadays:).

Mayday was so much boom-boom-boom-oriented that I simply left it to my left. Should I have been more careful?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
You are not talking about the Mayday-days now, are you?
From what I remember the Mayday was exactly what I hated about that new electro-"rave-logic".
Have good electronics emerged from there?

I'm not so much into electronic music but you can't sidepass it completely nowadays:).

Mayday was so much boom-boom-boom-oriented that I simply left it to my left. Should I have been more careful?

Rave was the melting pot and it was widely considered that it died in the late 80s / early 90s, which is the split I was talking about when Prodigy released Experience (92) and were seen as the rave scene, cos anyone that now goes to a rave expects to see Prodigy. So it died in its place stuff like DnB and Jungle and Garage and Hardcore and shit fell out the sides that went on to create House and Dub Step and breakbeat and all sorts of shit, including Mayday.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-09-2016 12:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My arguement is Rave killed itself and just evolved

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MTV Europe used to call the Stone Roses debut "rave". They used to call the Happy Mondays around 1990 "rave". Rave used to be guitar-oriented during its' first 2-3 years.
And then, can't remember exactly, electronic driven music was the new rave.
And during the early 90s I had problems with pure electronic music. It just didn't sound right. Imo, Jungle stil doesn't sound right, and fuck Skrill-what?

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 08-09-2016 12:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Rave was the melting pot and it was widely considered that it died in the late 80s / early 90s, which is the split I was talking about when Prodigy released Experience (92) and were seen as the rave scene, cos anyone that now goes to a rave expects to see Prodigy. So it died in its place stuff like DnB and Jungle and Garage and Hardcore and shit fell out the sides that went on to create House and Dub Step and breakbeat and all sorts of shit, including Mayday.

Ahh, there you go. Was wondering that.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-09-2016 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
My argument is Rave killed itself and just evolved

I concur.

:)

I wanted to come back to this but didn't have time, but basically shit hit the fan when Charly released in 91 - by this point the scene was pulling in bigger and bigger crowds and was naturally creating a market for companies to cash in on and was already overflowing into the 'commercial scene', so it's decline was happening before Charly was even thought of and anyone thinking it was going to stay in abandoned warehouses was deluded. Then Mixmag did a complete hatchet job on little Liam -

I remember it because being a massive fan of Prodigy I was always defending them against dickheads.

The full article can be found in these scans -

http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/info/ ... ology.html

It also has their apology, 10 years later. Some of what they said is true, they did split the scene but so did every other genre that came from it. I spose you could blame Charly for blowing up happy hardcore but honestly how the fuck was Liam meant to know that ? - Children of the Night, Flying on the Wings of Love were in the mainstream and the likes of Dougal and Hixxy / Force and Styles were dominating the underground, by the late 90s it was just hard house that wasn't really rave.

Just listen to the difference of an 89 rave to the Fantazia link ya posted

It pissed Liam off tho, he thought he was turning up to answer questions about the album and pose with the gun, when he seen the article had no mention of the album but just basically called him a sellout fraud he never gave them another interview, burned their mags in music videos and (my favourite) released a song under a different name, the song was called One Love and the scene swallowed it up, "Rave isn't dead" they proclaimed, with massive praise from critics and DJs alike, including Mixmag. They only found out it was made by Prodigy when they re-released Charlie as a white label with One Love as a B side :olo:

The response, I shit you not, was for the majority of DJs to pull the track from their playlist, cos of the sellout scum rhetoric.

Can't blame him, he was trying to make his way as a serious music producer and was having the rug pulled from under his feet, getting discredited by your peers is a massive kick in the nuts, i'd imagine. I remember during an interview he snapped as it looked like he wasn't expecting the question and said something along the lines of "Prodigy created rave and Prodigy can fucking kill it", which obviously didn't go down too well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.