Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What are you listening to

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What are you listening to

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 01-18-2021 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been listening to a lot of Elliot Smith lately. Learned how to play 2:45AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUayKsRpKj0

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-31-2021 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-31-2021 08:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Christ...olo

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-31-2021 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, privileged white boy is angry at the world

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-31-2021 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gwamps is entering his edgy disenfranchised teenage phase...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-22-2021 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

especially "Folsom Prison Blues" (4th song)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-22-2021 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
[WAAAARRRGAARRBBBBLLL video]

:olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-04-2021 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Different but then you may have never :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-15-2021 09:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Possibly the only way to respond to Gwamp's video.

Also, a must watch for Canadians, especially east coast ones.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-16-2021 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Her fuckin' kneecaps, Farrel!

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 03-23-2021 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spotify randomed me with this one. It's a bop!

chorus translates, roughly, to

I fly to Alaska and the moon, the devil sits on my shoulder
I fly to Alaska and in the shade of the moon I think I leave everyone here

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 04-29-2021 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-13-2021 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Матушка Россия friends

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The urge to commit suicide intensifies.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 04:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

Матушка Россия friends

It sounds surprisingly upbeat for something called sovietwave.
If I didn't know any better I could mistake this for any current day western singer-songwriter artist.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mix of free jazz and early classical music. jazz part kicks in mid song. so wait for it.

one of my favourite pieces i recently stumbled upon.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slow Crush.
As the name implies it's Shoegaze. And they're really good at that.
Only concern is the un-original name.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went ahead and gave Billie Eilish' album a good listen. It actually left me in a state of confusion. There are a handful of songs on there that are absolutely beautiful but there's also some songs which sound like they have so much potential yet go nowhere. On those songs her singing sounds incredibly disinterested and starts to feel a little grating. I keep thinking "give it a go girl, step outside that monotone almost whispery singing and give me a good punchy ad lib or just anything to break away from the monotony".

What also confuses me is that Billie Eilish is marketed towards teenage girls mostly, I think? Her videos appear to be edgy and try to be shocking in the way that girls wear black lip stick to piss off their parents or something, yet the music itself (especially the few gems on the album) feels disconnected from this image and target demography.

I'm not a Billie Eilish hater, I think that musically her (and her brother) are doing interesting things. Not all of it is what I'd usually appreciate though, and I like to think that if she wasn't mass-marketed like she is now, she'd come across as more genuine.

EDIT: If you'd like to listen to brooding, dark-ish pop music (what I think most people expect from Billie Eilish) but what feels less "held back" and somehow feels more genuine (probably due to a lack of huge marketing budgets), give Dutch artist LAKSHMI a try :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 03:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Huh, I too gave her first album a listen recently. You've not been watching Rick Beato on YouTube by any chance, have you Eraser?

I liked it, but it became very samey very quickly, and her ASMR delivery grates after a while.

Aside from that, been really enjoying Danzig, The Dead Kennedys, The Wildhearts, Lynn Collins, The Doors and Ian Dury & The Blockheads.

Also realised I haven't listened to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime in a criminally long time now, so will probably stick that on for tomorrow's run.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 10:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Huh, I too gave her first album a listen recently. You've not been watching Rick Beato on YouTube by any chance, have you Eraser?

lol, yes I did :D
I never gave Billie Eilish much attention, but his praise made me give it a listen. And I agree with you. It's not a bad album, each song by itself is a show of talent, but as a whole it just gets a bit boring and I do believe her monotonous style of singing is a major part of it. It's exactly those songs where she breaks away a little from this that are, to me, the best songs.
Still, I don't really understand why you'd want like 2/3rds of these songs performed in a huge concert hall filled with screaming teenagers rather than a small intimate setting.
Actually, I never understood the overly emotional reaction to seeing someone famous. Not with Billie Eilish or The Beatles. Like, Jesus Christ, get a grip on yourself. But that's a whole other discussion I guess.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-15-2021 10:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any of you heard of Pomplamoose?
It's basically two people (vocals and keys) who write and produce music, both original work and covers. Every week they record a cover of a songs.

They collect guest musicians, get a professional video team to record and edit it into a video and put the result up on YouTube. They're absolutely talented and their covers are never straight copies of the original song, always giving a twist to it or mashing it up with a second song. Every video is worth watching.

The one thing that annoys me a bit about them is her singing style. It's actually a bit Billie Eilish-like (which is what made me just think of it) and her best moments are when she breaks away from this subdued singing style (which she certainly can).

Anyway, musically and creatively they're always on the money, and they're always having much fun, which you can see and hear.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2021 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On another note, Devin Townsend did another live stream at this amazingly beautiful location

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-16-2021 03:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Huh, didn't know Devin had toured with The Wildhearts and is friends with Ginger.
Their latest album, Renaissance Men, is a cracker.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Devin is a total boss :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-07-2021 10:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my favourites from 1974 :rolleyes:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-08-2021 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-09-2021 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few classics there, Whiskey

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-11-2021 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been spinning a fuckload of Lemongrass lately. Pretty chill stuff. I only had a couple of his albums from ages ago but I found out he is quite a prolific artist. Been binging hard. The album called Orange is a favourite for while I work :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-12-2021 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got a tip to watch these guys from Finland:

Damn, yes! Probably the next big thing in Indie/Alternative-music these years.
I think they are awesome!

Covid put them back in exposure. Shame they couldn't break into the festival-circuits 2020/21.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-13-2021 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In loving memory of Dusty Hill (and because ZZ Top are regulars in many of my playlists):

(Man, they don't make music videos like that any more!)

And of course:

RIP you glorious bearded legend.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-19-2021 10:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Dream Theater single

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-21-2021 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bola...lots of Bola

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-23-2021 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rrose - interesting track. The album is excellent.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.