Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Look what I got for my birthday

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Look what I got for my birthday

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't ask for one but since I have it, it's niiiice. Yeah yeah, I know you've seen one before but I thought I'd take some piccys anyway. :)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/merlin.five/IMG1.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/merlin.five/IMG3.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/merlin.five/IMG4.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/merlin.five/IMG5.jpg

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 04:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Score! :up:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you, we agree on something, lol :D

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 05:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I want one of my own. My buddy was showing me how he's learning Chinese on his. Pretty cool...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 05:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got myself a DSi a few months back. Lots of fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these: http://www.acekard.com/

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
I got myself a DSi a few months back. Lots of fun. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these: http://www.acekard.com/

I've barely played it I don't know if I even need one of those?

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 05:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:

Does this let you do what I think it might?

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool congratulations :)

Say ello to my l'il frien'
Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 07:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, you got fucked

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:

lol moron...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Topic: Look what I got for my birthday :confused:

Happy Birthday there DRuM (for when ever :D )

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-10-2009 10:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not a DSi then?
Got one not too long ago myself. Too bad R4/M3 adapters don't work with it.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I prefer my DS lite for the GBA cartridge slot. Losing that is a major negative for the DSi imo...

CycloDS cartridge works quality for me... I believe it's very nearly impossible to find a non-faked R4 or M3 these days (ie. one that actually works).
Anyway, why you'd want one of those over a cart that automatically DLDI patches, supports SDHC etc (like the cyclo or ace) beats me :P

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been considering getting my daughter one for long drives. Are there any decent educational games? Basic reading/addition/subtraction, etc.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
I prefer my DS lite for the GBA cartridge slot. Losing that is a major negative for the DSi imo...

CycloDS cartridge works quality for me... I believe it's very nearly impossible to find a non-faked R4 or M3 these days (ie. one that actually works).
Anyway, why you'd want one of those over a cart that automatically DLDI patches, supports SDHC etc (like the cyclo or ace) beats me :P

M3 (and probably R4 as well) do contain DLDI and SDHC. Both functions have been introduced in a firmware update quite some time ago.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I've been considering getting my daughter one for long drives. Are there any decent educational games? Basic reading/addition/subtraction, etc.

The [whatever] training games (such as Brain Training) are educational. I prefer Big Brain Academy though, as that's more game-like and full featured (with multiplayer as well) than the Brain Training games.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so those cards let you run homebrew or what?

bling bling
bling bling
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:

i was actually looking into math skill games for the DS not to long ago and for basic math skills there's more than enough games to learn with. as far as reading goes i seem to recall there being one game that fullfilled that catagory. at the very least you could get something like scrabble as long as it has a built in dictionary.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
vesp wrote:

M3 (and probably R4 as well) do contain DLDI and SDHC. Both functions have been introduced in a firmware update quite some time ago.

Ok, I haven't really looked at them for a while.
I've known 3 different friends who've tried to buy R4/M3 from different suppliers (two bought R4's at the same time, one bought an R4 and then tried to buy an M3) and they've all not worked and not accepted firmware upgrades or anything (even attempted flashing the 'R4' cards with M3 upgrades after reading about fake-branded R4 cards that were actually using M3 hardware...).
Two bought cycloDS cards after this, worked straight out of the box. The other only recently bought an Ace card and it's also fine.

This was fairly recent btw... within the past year. Supposedly the supply of 'real' R4's dried up a while ago and most (maybe not all) of what is available out there is cloned/faked and has a good chance of being duff, unfortunately :(

Fender - yep, cards are for homebrew - running apps, etc (old console emulators ftw)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grandpa Stu wrote:
Fender wrote:

i was actually looking into math skill games for the DS not to long ago and for basic math skills there's more than enough games to learn with. as far as reading goes i seem to recall there being one game that fullfilled that catagory. at the very least you could get something like scrabble as long as it has a built in dictionary.

"My Word Coach" maybe?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
Fender - yep, cards are for homebrew - running apps, etc (old console emulators ftw)

Yeah, I've got Quake 1 running on my DS :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HBD dude :)

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud, yes and a whole lot more.

Eraser, yes the cards work but you have to buy a new version for the DSi. Acekard makes the best one IMO.

Fender, not just homebrew. You can download a ROM of any game out for the DS or GBA (they are very easy to get) and play them from the SD card. You can also play mp3s, videos, and display text files (books). They have other features like real-time saving (since its a rom you can just save the exact state of the game) too. So far I haven't seen a single game not work right, from Need For Speed U2 to various Final Fantasy to New Super Mario. The dashboard is really cool too and user skinnable.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe i should have said homebrew :sly:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Topic: Look what I got for my birthday :confused:

Happy Birthday there DRuM (for when ever :D )

Don Carlos wrote:
HBD dude :)

Thank you. It was end of last month. I'm 18 now. :paranoid:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-11-2009 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hbd, dicknose
edit-just messin' with ya bro. i don't really want you to have a happy birthday.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol yea Happy belated Birthday DRuM!

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 06-12-2009 01:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
Deathshroud, yes and a whole lot more.

Eraser, yes the cards work but you have to buy a new version for the DSi. Acekard makes the best one IMO.

Fender, not just homebrew. You can download a ROM of any game out for the DS or GBA (they are very easy to get) and play them from the SD card. You can also play mp3s, videos, and display text files (books). They have other features like real-time saving (since its a rom you can just save the exact state of the game) too. So far I haven't seen a single game not work right, from Need For Speed U2 to various Final Fantasy to New Super Mario. The dashboard is really cool too and user skinnable.

I just ordered one for the GF. I'm assuming it can play GB Advanced games too? If so, this thing is all sorts of win.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 06-21-2009 11:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what's the difference between R4/M3/CycloDS/Acekard? I tried searching for stuff and can't find any good comparisons.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 06-21-2009 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

M3 was a clone of the R4, but they are both 'old' cards now - I remember reading somewhere that the R4 makers stopped but there were still clone cards called R4's being made (I got one a year ago and it failed to work - marked R4 but didn't work with R4 or M3 or any other firmware).

Cyclods and Acekard are newer generation cards, personally have a cyclods that works perfectly - seems others above have first hand good experiences of the Acekard. (think the Ace is probably the current 'best buy' for up-to-date firmware and features).

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 06-22-2009 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, so as a warning to others. I used my Acekard between 2 DS's and it erased my Chrono Trigger save file, and I was 11 hours into the game...

Lesson, use it with one DS exclusively...

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 06-22-2009 02:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went with the Acekard since it was $20 vs $45 for the CycloDS.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 06-22-2009 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the Acekard for every feature that doesn't include complete loss of data.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.