Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        World of Warcraft questions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: World of Warcraft questions

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never played an MMORPG before, never really interested because it seemed like all of them required about 100+ hours of gameplay before your character was strong enough to kill a mouse without getting your ass kicked...

People have told me that WoW is different - that it is a game that is fun to play regardless of the level you are at, and that the gameplay is fun enough that 'leveling up' is not really a boring chore.

Is it worth buying if you aren't looking to play it a ridiculous amount of time each week?

Also, in regards to combat, is it all turned based RPG type stuff - or is it more Diablo like?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its turn based, and it does get pretty boring. not just the lvling, but the combat and the quests. I liked it until about lvl 30 then it hit me like a ton of heavy things.

Last edited by DooMer on 02-13-2005 07:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wait, it's not turn based... it's totally real-time

if you enjoyed diablo, you will enjoy world of warcraft

be careful though, the addiction profiles are exactly the same... if diablo stole all your time, warcraft will take even more

Never give up!
Never give up!
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've only played the WoW beta, which only lasted for a couple of days, and had fun with it. I did, however found it boring after a while because of the quests. Kill a few monsters, pick up a few items and return to town to get some money and exp. Repeat that 30 times and you can go to the next city. I still think leveling up is an important factor in the game because otherwise you cant complete those boring quest.
So yeah, you have to put some time in it.

As I said before I've only played the game for a few days so I might missed out the fun things :shrug:

You might wanna take a look at guildwars tho.
afaik you can only lvl up to lvl 20, so thats not really an important factor to the game. Haven't played it tho, so cant really tell you alot about it.

edit: and it has no monthly fee, which doesnt really force you to play the game.

Last edited by OverRide on 02-13-2005 02:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually it is turn based but it has a much better feel than like a NWN. It feels like a hack-n-slash.

Leveling is not bad at all. The thing I found hard at first was managing aggro. At low levels you can not take on more than 1 mob at a time. But that gets easier as you level.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where do you get this idea that it's turn-based?

Everyone can act at the exact same instant. Just because you can only perform one action at any given time doesn't mean that it's turn based...

Through movement and positioning on the field you can prevent opponents from getting to act... that doesn't seem particularly turn-based to me.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what you guys mean by "turn based"?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From the combat log... That's why damage per second is more important than the damage alone. I believe that weapon speed determines attacks per round or something.

All I can find at Blizzard is this: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/faq/combat.html which is really vague.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's semi-turn-based.

You select what you want to do from a menu, like any other rpg, then, you'll do it continuously (once ever few seconds) until you tell your character to do something else.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There should be a mmorpg that you can play like Quake 3. Have total freedom in the movement and the combat. If there was a Quake-like massive online game I would probably subscribe to one.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like when you say quake 3 :drool:

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a good game so far - really enjoying it...

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-13-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too bad planet side sucked. :(

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey tnf, if you're not into grinding and just want to have fun, I think Guild Wars would be well suited for you. Check out the local Guild Wars thread here. There's a closed beta event starting on Friday, and Seg mentioned something about a one-time friend key which you can ask him for.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
Hey tnf, if you're not into grinding and just want to have fun, I think Guild Wars would be well suited for you. Check out the local Guild Wars thread here. There's a closed beta event starting on Friday, and Seg mentioned something about a one-time friend key which you can ask him for.

i have a feeling that game is gonna own. its diablo with more depth, and the secluded-quest-system sounds really good

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
It's semi-turn-based.

You select what you want to do from a menu, like any other rpg, then, you'll do it continuously (once ever few seconds) until you tell your character to do something else.

sounds like baldurs gate's combat system :icon14:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
i have a feeling that game is gonna own.

Most definitely, my clitoriffical compadre :icon14:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's all about City of Heroes.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haha, more like City of HOMOS!!!111

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to immerse yourself really to get the best experience. If you have a week free then get it, stock up on the essentials and get grinding.

http://www.brightonbreaks.co.uk

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to play but have no key.TM :tear:

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am enjoying it.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 12:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh shit, that key thing I posted was meant to go into the Guild Wars thread. :icon28: :o!

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you're playing warcraft pauly?

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just bumping this - been playing WOW far too much in the last few days - anyone from here on any UK servers? I seem to remember playing Diablo 2 back in the day was good fun with you lot...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm allready lvl20 at the euro servers - did a bit slow though: tradeskills, questing etc.

But grinding is a lot of fun currently as the zones look totally awesome (I'm at Darkshore) :icon14:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't wait to get home from "work" ...

A friend of mine got banned for a day btw:

"Where is Goldshire?"
"In your mothers ass."

:smirk:

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, i started 2 characters (the game kept dropping me and not letting me log back in with the same character for a while, so i kept swapping) - a dark elf priest and a human warlock - Level 10 and 12. You're right about the look of the areas - i've been to 2 of the big cities so far and they're both stunning...

I'm amazed by the sheer size of the game world... And since its a subscription game, they'll keep on releasing new content as long as people are still playing...

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's it. I'm fucking getting this game.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit, i suppose you need a credit card for it, huh.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nope, you can buy cards with a serial on it that will last a month
sortof like prepaid

no matter, guild wars is where its at anyways :E no monthly fee = winner ;)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's gametime cards with codes as well ...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
nope, you can buy cards with a serial on it that will last a month
sortof like prepaid

What, like, in a store? :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 03:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, at a gym

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This whole games scene is so confusing :(

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, a lot of you Dutchees don't have credit cards?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.