Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dragon Age: Origins

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dragon Age: Origins

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-06-2009 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone got this? Looks pretty good and seems to be getting rave reviews.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-06-2009 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So far, so Bioware. In other words, I'm sure it'll be a good game, but the characters and story are nothing new, and truth be told, rather bland.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just started it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
So far, so Bioware. In other words, I'm sure it'll be a good game, but the characters and story are nothing new, and truth be told, rather bland.

Well, I've never played Baldur's Gate I/II or any of the Neverwinter Nights, so perhaps that's why this has me a bit more interested :paranoid:

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 06:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm up to level 10. It's nothing mindblowingly new, but it plays really well, and is really enjoyable. My only complaint is that when there's a large number of enemies, combat can get a difficult to sort who's doing what to who.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

too much dialogue...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go fuck off and die already

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol u mad?...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-07-2009 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
I'm up to level 10. It's nothing mindblowingly new, but it plays really well, and is really enjoyable. My only complaint is that when there's a large number of enemies, combat can get a difficult to sort who's doing what to who.

I got up to level 8 or so, it's great fun. The graphics are really good, dialogue and voice acting is high quality. Unlike Oblivion's frozen statue conversations, in this game people actually have facial expressions, they move about a bit, the camera angle changes and there was even a "walk and talk". Agreed about the combat though, it does get fiddly with too many enemies and party members on the screen. I think they should have been more lax with their collision detection.

My favourite bit so far is your dog being a party member. Man's best friend and all that. I named him after my first childhood dog :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how very Fable

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WAT?! Fable was garbage.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it also had your faithful dog as a partymember
settle down

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh =[

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the dog is quite good. although I swapped him for a rogue. you end up with more people in your squad than you can play with so you can swap them in/out as needed.

the game is really good so far.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 11:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the four locations and ancient civ isnt really applicable to the BG series.
noone tells you to go to those four locations, and they cant be done in the order of your choosing. they simply are 4 locations you stumble upon; there can be many more.

and the Underdark is not directly relevant to the story, especially not in BG1. more importantly, its not a Bioware invention.

other than that, spot on

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes im quite the nerd

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
[lvlshot]

The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 01:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't worry Trans, it has an 'Easy' mode so you can play it.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-08-2009 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it has a 'Free Achievement Mode', that would be even better. :up:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How freaking long is this game eh?! I've been playing it semi-regularly for about 2 weeks now and it's telling me I've only finished ~34% [just got to the landsmeet bit]. But then again, I am doing virtually every quest I can find.

True that there's tons of dialogue, but I think most of it is fairly well executed. The voice acting is particularly good [I especially like Leliana's accent, I could hear her say "Allow me, I could do that for you." all day].

Also, the Zero Punctuation review:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... ge-Origins

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So another 4000 hour long game with dragons, orcs, midgets and elves. Yawn.

Why is it that 99% of all RPGs are the same fucking game? And why do people keep buying them? Are they really looking forward to speaking to more NPCs?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, real people won't talk to me so I've got to fill that void with *something* =[

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 03:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
So another 4000 hour long game with dragons, orcs, midgets and elves. Yawn.

Why is it that 99% of all RPGs are the same fucking game? And why do people keep buying them? Are they really looking forward to speaking to more NPCs?

Might have something to do with the different storylines behind each game. I'd imagine it's something like reading another book in the fantasy genre - same stereotypical characters but different plots.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh...you mean the different plots of "go here, talk to this elf fagg0t, go there, kill spiders, talk to this other elf fagg0t and his orc sex-toy, save the world yet again from a fire-breathing monster/dragon/nemisis" type of plot?

The only reason I played Mass Effect was because it wasn't as blatantly homosexual as the other 10,000 RPGs that came before it...because there weren't any orcs, dragons or elves. I'm appalled to read review after review of the "latest RPG fantasy crotch scratch POS" where they claim incredible storytelling, great characters, and exciting battles...and we really mean it this time. It's the same old recycled crap that dateless nerds keep buying because they really, really, really want to live in the past when soap hadn't been invented.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 11-22-2009 04:07 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy fucking turd burglers, Batman!!

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I'm appalled to read review after review of the "latest RPG fantasy crotch scratch POS" where they claim incredible storytelling, great characters, and exciting battles...and we really mean it this time.

Gamespot review of Dragon Age

Quote:
Incredible storytelling, great characters, and exciting battles are just a few of the things that make this fantasy role-playing game so extraordinary.

Fuckin lol...it's the same headline from every RPG review *cough*Final Fantasy *cough* in the last 500 years.

You nerds simply can't admit you can't get enough of this shit because your lives are so boring that you have to pretend to be some smelly queer with an axe who fucks 12 year old-looking boys.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you sound upset

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like I've said 10,000 times before:

I blame the retarded consumer :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started playing yesterday and my first impression was how horrible the textures are. It looks like one of those games where the textures load in phases, lowest quality first, but in Dragon Age they never get any better. Lately I've also noticed that the audio compression is lacking, too. Tinselly voices and a distinct static or something... it's hard to describe. I wouldn't have minded if they needed two discs for the game if it would have meant the problem was gone. I know it can be better; I saw Fury playing it on his PC and it looked superb. :(

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i haven't had those problems, maybe your 360 is dying.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop playing games GFY. They're all the same thing.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Oh...you mean the different plots of "go here, talk to this elf fagg0t, go there, kill spiders, blah blah blahfshadfagsjhfga

I think you might be onto something here. Earlier I started nodding off while in a fight, which only ever happens to me when I play a game I don't enjoy.

shaft wrote:
i haven't had those problems, maybe your 360 is dying.

Maybe it's because I installed the game to the HDD. :shrug:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

According to reviews of the 360 version (Eurogamer in particular), the 360 version is awful both in sound and visuals.
The Eurogamer review specifically mentions compressed audio too.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-22-2009 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Stop playing games GFY. They're all the same thing.

No, they're not.

But...when it comes to RPGs...they are (orcs, elves, wizards, dragons, ad nauseum...)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-23-2009 12:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, FPS - Aliens/Monsters/Corporate Henchmen/Terrorists are attacking the area. Doesn't matter what they're up to, you're going to fuck their day up with a hail of lead.

Fighting - beat the crap out of each other to be the tournament master and regain your honor/get revenge on the man who killed your father/uncle/mother/village

RPGs - fight orcs/elves/wizards/dragons as a pedophile queer with an axe. In the end the world's going to get saved by you.

They're all the same.

And yeah, I know there are more than those three genres.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.