Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)

PostPosted: 04-28-2005 04:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So is it worth seeing or what? I'm almost done with the first book...

The reviews are confusing:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hitchhi ... he_galaxy/

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the books are way better than any movie really could be...i've heard that the movie has lost a lot of the Adams humor

edit: i've read all the books at least 3 times now

PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't even read the books. i really need to do that.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

neither have i

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's a book for nerds. i like it :)

Strogger Than You
Strogger Than You
PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seeing it tomorrow. :icon14:

PostPosted: 04-28-2005 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
it's a book for nerds. i like it :)

I have no problem admitting my nerdiness. :icon14:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 12:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seeing it tomorrow at 11:35am.

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 12:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard it's shit. Could have been good, but turned out to be shit.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:

it will cost you £5 to see it. it that really so much money you have to ask the internet before you make YOUR own mind up?

immaculate
immaculate
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 12:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

usually people that go to the movies alone (no social life) ask these sort of questions. you need to be more understanding doombrain. you're a fucking moderator here at quake3world and it is your sworn duty to set a good tone..regardless.

DAMNIT

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rtcw:

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and its actually only 3 british pounts here. about 7 canadian dollars.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seza wrote:
usually people that go to the movies alone (no social life) ask these sort of questions. you need to be more understanding doombrain. you're a fucking moderator here at quake3world and it is your sworn duty to set a good tone..regardless.

DAMNIT

Such a miserable attempt at dry wit. It never ceases to amaze me how you can so thoroughly extract the funny from a post before you make it. It's as if you have some sort of meticulous humor-removal algorithm that you've spent years perfecting. Creepy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
seza wrote:

DAMNIT

Such a miserable attempt at dry wit. It never ceases to amaze me how you can so thoroughly extract the funny from a post before you make it. It's as if you have some sort of meticulous humor-removal algorithm that you've spent years perfecting. Creepy.

lol

He has a "humour sponge"
It basically extracts all the funny from his posts and stores
it up. Because there is never that much funny in the posts
then he saves it and soon enough he will make his anual
witty post. Its proven fact.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 03:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seza is a 10'000'000 times funnier then LegionXS, fact.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 03:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forza is out !

immaculate
immaculate
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:
seza wrote:

DAMNIT

shit, it's old man nightshade again trying to push his fake authority on all things humourous in my face. give it up and honestly...get off me already :icon19:

immaculate
immaculate
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
seza wrote:

DAMNIT

lol

He has a "humour sponge"
It basically extracts all the funny from his posts and stores
it up. Because there is never that much funny in the posts
then he saves it and soon enough he will make his anual
witty post. Its proven fact.

if there was any more evidence given by someone on the internet - that they're a destined failure...i'd be surprised. tough luck donald

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 11:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seza wrote:
Nightshade wrote:
seza wrote:

DAMNIT

shit, it's old man nightshade again trying to push his fake authority on all things humourous in my face. give it up and honestly...get off me already :icon19:

Amazing. Not an ounce of funny left. What's your secret?

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

it will cost you £5 to see it. it that really so much money you have to ask the internet before you make YOUR own mind up?

maybe he means worth as in worth his time (or if its better to just watch a different movie or something). atleast thats what i mean when im thinking about what movie to see :shrug:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martin Freeman was just on Jonathan Ross. Had a kind of very British dry wit. Movie looks pretty watchable too, even though it was made by Disney.

Anyone seen National Treasure? Thank fuck I only saw a pirate copy and didn't spend good money on it. What a complete pile of stupidly plotted, badly scripted, direly acted cunt.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
seza is a 10'000'000 times funnier then LegionXS, fact.

Have you been drinking toner, printerboy?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

**spoilers**

saw it today, well it was entertaining but they changed the plot quite a bit. There was a lame romance between Trillian and Arthur, ( "is she THE ONE?") and the end was pretty stupid. If you know the story you just kind of went "hah? that's not right" at the end.I better not give the end away even though I'm doing spoilers here.
There was a lot of good stuff in there, too. It didn't seem to be americanized at all, pretty pure british humor, I was glad of that.

The new marvin robot was good even though a little too cute ( can you say marketing of children's toys - I'm sure there is already a stuffed marvin at the Disney store). The TV series marvin was in it for a second, you have to look quick but he's there. When they go to the planet factory on Magrathea it's really amazing, they show planets being built actual size instead of a small model like in the TV series.

There's a lot to like in it, and most of it is Adam's original dialog, but they switched stuff around a lot, it will be the original dialog but someone else saying it. They did tinker with the plot a bunch.
The part where they tell stories from the guide with the voice over is good, it has the funny graphics and everything.

John Malkovich is good as a character that wasn't in the TV series, a kind of villain who however isn't really important to the plot. Mos' Def was a lot better than I thought he was going to be, but a little too daffy towards the end. The Arthur Dent was adequate, a little too macho, should have been more milquetoasty. The Zaphod Beeblebrox was really good, though. Deep Thought is Helen Mirren, a little odd to have it be a woman's voice.

The Vogons were great, they were developed a lot more and sort of seemed a commentary on British bureaucracy. They took a few stabs at George Bush, which was fine with me, and expected since the movie was made by Europeans.

I think the hardcore Hitchhikers fans will probably hate it, people that are less hardcore will like it more. It wasn't the kind of knock- you-down experience that I was hoping for but it was entertaining enough.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Martin Freeman was just on Jonathan Ross. Had a kind of very British dry wit. Movie looks pretty watchable too, even though it was made by Disney.

Anyone seen National Treasure? Thank fuck I only saw a pirate copy and didn't spend good money on it. What a complete pile of stupidly plotted, badly scripted, direly acted cunt.

It's as if he tries to be like Gervais but doesn't pull it off as well (from watching Ross). He's still good though.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-29-2005 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haven't read the book yet, but have been inspired to after watching the movie. personally, i found it extremely entertaining -- things like the improbability drive, marvin the depressed robot, planet explosions... brilliant. lots of very very subtle jokes that you'll almost definately miss unless you're paying attention. my only critisism is that the overall plot (not including a lot of the smaller plot bits that happen) is a little too predictable (spoiler: there is no way anyone could have not predicted the couple hooking up in the end from about 5 minutes into the movie) but overall, very good movie (9/10)

PostPosted: 04-29-2005 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In my opinion, it failed at two things. First of all, it failed at being good. Second of all it failed at being so bad that it was actually good.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanna see it.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 02:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw it last night and I've read the books. I find it to be the best book -> movie conversion I've ever seen.

Mos Def was great.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
In my opinion, it failed at two things. First of all, it failed at being good. Second of all it failed at being so bad that it was actually good.

and you've somehow failed at two things yourself -- first of all, you failed at being funny. Second of all, you failed at making anyone care due to your complete lack of contribution to the thread, apart from proclaiming "this movie is shit, because i say so."

PostPosted: 04-30-2005 09:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its my thread.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 04-30-2005 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed it. They added and changed a couple things in the plot, and changed a few jokes, but overall I thought it was a pretty good tribute to his book. I didn't have very high expectations going in, but I laughed quite a bit and really liked the things that were in the movie, like the |edit|:planet factory on magrathea, and the whale. :)

Last edited by R00k on 04-30-2005 10:02 PM, edited 2 times in total.

rejected
rejected
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was ok, not as good as i hoped for... had me smiling a few times.
Next big movie im waiting for is War of the worlds... i hope it will rock.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-01-2005 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm a fan of the books, and i lilked the movie a lot.

God
God
PostPosted: 05-10-2005 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definately a good movie. Strayed from the books a bit but the opening sequence is fucking aces.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.