Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Louise Bourgeois died

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Louise Bourgeois died

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You philistines probably don't care, but I do. She was 98

Quote:
a great artist, indomitable and universal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8714974.stm

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never heard of him. Is that the guy that invented toast?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

idiot

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Never heard of him. Is that the guy that invented toast?

i'd like to think you're trolling, but unfortunately i think you post comments like this because you're just really really ignorant. :(

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 08:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No I just have no clue when it comes to sculptors who reside in a different country to me, and I would be shocked if 50% of the posters here had any clue who it was. Wow she made a 30 foot metal spider in the US, amazing. Can you tell me, without google, who made Nelson's Column? I doubt it. But then, its in a different county and its not exactly a popular thing to talk about is it... Sculptors... So I wouldn't expect you to know.

In short. lol.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
you're just really really ignorant. :(

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow she did some impressive stuff ey

that super passion she had appears to have served her well ey she made it all the way to 98 good job!

rip

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who? Emo art...

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to side with o'dium on this one, but for the reason being "art" is bullshit

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I faintly recall the name, but that's some cool stuff. 98 is a long fucking time, good on her.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aww :tear:
her spider stuff was cool, saw some pics of those before :up: Was she behind that giant robotic spider that made the news a few years ago as well..?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, that was by royal de luxe (actually, if i remember correctly it was by la machine, which is a spin off by some of the same people in de luxe) which is the same company that did the sultan's elephant:

Image.

I've seen a few things by Bourgeois, I saw one of her spiders in Tokyo and they're amazingly fluid when you walk round them, I also saw an excellent piece by her in the moma - a massive phallus hanging by the bell end by a meat hook. Pretty risqué for an old dear :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love that spider in Ottawa :up:

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those sketches really suck in that BBC vid. I think her great granddaughter drew them and she claimed them as her own just to fuck with people.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, that elephant reminds me of ghost in the shell 2, very cool.

whats with everyone dying these days lol

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That spider is fucking horrendous. How the fuck is that art? Honestly artists have the eaisest fucking life. There we go, one pile of shit. I call it "Un Excreto de Pile".

"Ooh look at that. He's really capturing the essence of the inner soul."

Pretentious cuntaloons.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's quite interesting in person. There are all sorts of intricate lines and shapes throughout the frame. The size of the thing makes you feel small as opposed to how you would usually make a spider feel. It's made of steel so it's interesting to see how it holds it's own weight. The body of the spider looks as if it's made of welded mesh, inside of which are these egg shaped things.

I don't know if there is supposed to be some kind of intended hidden meaning about the "essence of the inner soul", but it certainly looks cool and that is why I would qualify it as being art.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I visited the Ottawa Gallery, I think I read about "Maman" being dedicated to Bourgeois' mother and/or mothers all over. The marble eggs in the sac represent her children.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
Honestly artists have the eaisest fucking life.

hahahahhaha farking hell man, you dont know many artists do you?

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 06-01-2010 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
Pauly wrote:
Honestly artists have the eaisest fucking life.

hahahahhaha farking hell man, you dont know many artists do you?

haahahahahahaha

no.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.