Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Got scammed on eBay: how PayPal handled the issue

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Got scammed on eBay: how PayPal handled the issue

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hello! so i was in the market for a micro sd hc card for my mp3 player a few weeks ago and i decided to buy one on ebay. after checking the prices, i decided to buy a no-name 32gb card from a chinese seller with a 10000+ 99.8%+ positive rating (stupid me). they were selling them at auctions every 20 minutes, starting at $0.01 and finishing between $25 and $75 usd. after spending a few minutes modeling the auction end price distribution in excel, i found out that $32 usd is a likely price and won't take too long to get. i ended up buying a 32gb card for $38 aud (~$32 usd) an hour later.

when i received the card, i found out that the directories i copy onto it become empty. it would only store 1-2 directories properly, everything else disappears. after doing a quick search online, i found out that i bought a "fake" card. i also found a msg from ebay saying that the seller deleted the item and that i should cancel the transaction. well duh, thanks for the info!

after filing a claim with paypal (ebay told me to go there since it's not ebay's problem anymore), the automated system told me that in order to receive a refund, i need to send the item back to china and provide them with a tracking address. that's cool n all, but the cheapest parcel with tracking i could find was $55. gg.

lastly, i called paypal customer service and told them that i was scammed and explained the whole situation with the tracking. their answer was "sorry, even though we understand that u got scammed and that the seller's account was deleted, there's nothing we can do. in order to receive a refund u must send it back to the seller and provide us with a tracking number." all they could give me was a complementary "one-time" $20 credit. kthnx.

anyway, fffffffffuuuuuuuuuu paypal! don't use it!

<3

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. You cheaped out and bought a shite-quality generic card from somewhere as distant as China and you're actually surprised it didn't end well? Next time read the fine print on return and refund policies before bidding. Caveat emptor.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 11:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wouldn't call it "shite-quality", it's not a 32gb card at all! i read that they somehow format a 2 or 4 gb card to look like a 32... so it's false advertising, ie scam.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 07-15-2010 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your mother's vagina is shite-quality.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

torm's right (and if the graffiti on the toilet wall at the bus depot is true, so is u4ea). if you're buying cheap, unbranded goods from the other side of the world then you have to accept a loss every now and then. it sounds like paypal treated you pretty well.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be fair, Paypal are absolutely useless when stuff does go wrong. I've had items I had to send back in the exact same way and because they were UK based and the items were small, I just sent them first class, non-recorded. Bad move.

Paypal won't give you anything unless you send the stuff back registered, with full tracking. I'm not sure if they refund you for this either, which sometimes makes the whole process pointless, since you end up losing yet more money.

Needless to say, buy shit domestically if possible and read absolutely all the fine print... and NEVER buy from China. That is just asking for trouble.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a surprise, Retards are Retarded.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About 5 years ago, some thieving nerd from china got access to my paypal via my linked hotmail address & proceeded to buy himself lots of goodies for WoW. Within 6 hours payal had blocked my account, reversed all the transactions & reported this guy to the relevant authorities all because they saw "irregular activity" with my account. The first I learnt about this was 2 days later after I had an influx of e-mails about it, by which time they'd sorted the problem for me anyway....

basically, your bad experience doesn't make a company shit. It was afterall, your own retarded fault, trying to save yourself a measly few dollars bit you on the arse.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've bought a few cheapo cards from hong kong or whereverthefuck on ebay and not had trouble, but then again they were smaller. Maybe 4 or 8g.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA's right.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm note sure what you expected Paypal to do??

This is like me blaming The Bank of England because the DVD I bought of a Chinaman in a pub wasn't Harry Potter 9

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I'm note sure what you expected Paypal to do??

This is like me blaming The Bank of England because the DVD I bought of a Chinaman in a pub wasn't Harry Potter 9

i guess u missed all the "paypal will PROTECT YOU!!!" ads all over ebay and paypal. i wouldn't complain if they didn't claim that they will indemnify the buyer if something goes wrong. i got scammed and they know it. however, paypal did not indemnify me, unlike what their ads say.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... on-outside

Last edited by ToxicBug on 07-16-2010 09:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds to me like some sort of weak consumer excuse not to pay attention or use common sense when making an interweb purchase.

Come now toxic, you bought a dodgy product from a dodgy suplier - how is this their fault? Pauly's analogy is pretty accurate.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tend to get up from my computer and go down to Best Buy or Target to purchase these things. The prices are decent and I get a bit of exercise and sunshine. An adventure all around. :up:

also: :clownboat:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 10:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i agree with ryoki and srsly also with peenyuh.
ffs going to ebay for a $55 product. what, you were hoping to save a whopping $5? :dork:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 11:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
i agree with ryoki and srsly also with peenyuh.
ffs going to ebay for a $55 product. what, you were hoping to save a whopping $5? :dork:

find me a 32gb microsdhc card for $55

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microSDHC ... 778&sr=1-4

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Sounds to me like some sort of weak consumer excuse not to pay attention or use common sense when making an interweb purchase.

Come now toxic, you bought a dodgy product from a dodgy suplier - how is this their fault? Pauly's analogy is pretty accurate.

what was dodgy about the supplier except that they were in china? i thought the rating was legit...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
I tend to get up from my computer and go down to Best Buy or Target to purchase these things. The prices are decent and I get a bit of exercise and sunshine. An adventure all around. :up:

also: :clownboat:

If you think Best Buy has decent prices on anything related to technology I've got some things I'd like to sell you. Next time you want something from Best Buy, let me know. I will sell you one for almost half what they do and still make a profit.

I was in a bind, having lost a hi speed CF card, went to Best Buy because I needed on that day. The card I was looking for was $165 there. The same card was $60 all over the Internet at all the big photography retailers like Adorama and BandH. I asked the kid if they matched prices, and he looked at my phone showing the price at Adorama and said "who are they? That doesn't look like a legit deal at that price." Best Buy rapes you on prices for everything but stuff like Xbox games that have set prices. Which sucks, because I'm willing to pay more for the convenience of just buying something I need in town instead of waiting for it to be shipped. But fuck paying over 2x as much for a lot of stuff.

Which reminds me, next time you need any cables (fiber optic audio, HDMI, etc.) check out monoprice.com. Huge savings.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
If you think Best Buy has decent prices on anything related to technology...

Well, I do buy all of my microSD's and such at Target... they always seem to have deals there. But I've purchased a desktop and a laptop in the past year at Best Buy. I think I got a couple of great deals.

For instance, My laptop:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+L ... Id=9695339

Got it hooked up to my stereo and tv (dual screen). I plays my tunes and games at the same time. :D

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

costco has those no?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Peenyuh wrote:
tnf wrote:
If you think Best Buy has decent prices on anything related to technology...

Well, I do buy all of my microSD's and such at Target... they always seem to have deals there. But I've purchased a desktop and a laptop in the past year at Best Buy. I think I got a couple of great deals.

For instance, My laptop:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+L ... Id=9695339

Got it hooked up to my stereo and tv (dual screen). I plays my tunes and games at the same time. :D

Here's an example:
8 GB Compact Flash - UDMA 60x at Adorama $54 with Rebate 69.99 without rebate
http://www.adorama.com/IDSCFEP8G60M.html

Same card at Best Buy - $169.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+E ... &cp=1&lp=2

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or, avoid eBay, use amazon and stop being such a cheap fucker

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 07-16-2010 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Here's an example:
8 GB Compact Flash - UDMA 60x at Adorama $54 with Rebate 69.99 without rebate
http://www.adorama.com/IDSCFEP8G60M.html

Same card at Best Buy - $169.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SanDisk+-+E ... &cp=1&lp=2

schooled. :D

Tannhauser Gate
Tannhauser Gate
PostPosted: 07-21-2010 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's tons of fake flash memory from China on ebay, last place I would buy it from. Lesson learnt.

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Detecting-fake-flash-memory-on-e-bay_W0QQugidZ10000000013353853

Next time do some research and stop bitching about Paypal. Have been dealing with them for years and have never let me down.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-21-2010 01:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sold a fake pair of motorcycle boots on egay for $500. The buyer disputed and paypal immediately deducted the $500 from my paypal account and made us both expand on the sale over several weeks via email. They never requested the boots be returned. Eventually they ruled in my favour and I got the cash back in the account.

Moral of the story is I always win and you're a moron.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-21-2010 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

moral of the story is only morons and poor people use ebay to sell their worthless shit to other retards

FACT

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 07-22-2010 05:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Calm down Randy.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.