Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Minecraft - Anyone into it?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you captain obvious.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's OK, Lord Commander Bullshit.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

That. Is. The. Fucking. Shit.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
seremtan wrote:

That. Is. The. Fucking. Shit.

I don't see the big deal. It's obviously tucked away in a basement somewhere as evidenced by the window placement, so no view. It's furnished somewhere between IKEA and Pier 1 Imports. Just toss in some mood lighting and a couple glass walls for the conference room. Why are nerds frothing over this, have they never seen anything but cubicle land?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, why are people getting stiff over that office? It looks ugly and stuffy.

It doesn't look like a fun, inspiring environment at all. Looks like the headquarters for the League of Extraordinarily Boring Gentlemen. Did Notch design that office himself? Whoever did has absolutely zero taste.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These photos were passed around the studio today and I'm pretty sure everybody laughed. Not sure though.

IMHO the guy's a moron for blowing all that cash on stupid shit for his studio. The games industry is a literal wasteland of stupid managers who spent money stupidly and ended up tanking their own company due to...you guessed it...stupid spending on frivolous shit. That's not good management...it's bragging and the gaudiness of it all screams "new money". Next he'll be throwing cash at someone to get a fucking hockey arena named after him. FFS even the Yerli brothers kept it low key until Crytek got really successful...and they're the braggart type.

Unless you have over one billion dollars in the bank, you simply do NOT spend that cash when you have only one game under your belt. Game dev is a ridiculously expensive and risky endeavour and I wont be surprised in the least if they crash and burn in the next few years.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Unless you have over one billion dollars in the bank, you simply do NOT spend that cash when you have only one game under your belt. Game dev is a ridiculously expensive and risky endeavour and I wont be surprised in the least if they crash and burn in the next few years.

Was thinking the same. Read an interview with him, he seems to think highly of himself. Given their track record for fixing bugs and how much time/money they seem to be spending on silly shit like real cool merch!!, it makes me wonder if they're a one hit wonder. Granted, I still play MC from time to time and enjoy it. But seriously... it's been in beta for what, 3 years? I know a lot of games do this, but aren't most of them free or dirty-dirt cheap? MC used to be this way, then they broke their promise and raised it up. I was lucky enough to get it when it was $5 or so, I think it's $30 now. :shrug:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on the other hand, his production costs are pretty low I think - he basically funded the entire project with a paid beta cycle - and the merch does pretty well. like most succesful endeavours, merch is where the real money is.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-02-2012 11:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:

It doesn't look like a fun, inspiring environment at all. Looks like the headquarters for the League of Extraordinarily Boring Gentlemen. Did Notch design that office himself? Whoever did has absolutely zero taste.

This, pretty much. Blech :down:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-03-2012 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:

i bet you also no one ever gets to enjoy all that swanky shit either. that's always the way with employee perks - whatever they are: if they're in the building, you're always too busy

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-10-2012 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been a fun run, over two years, but now it's time to close the server. Maps will be here for download:

http://mc.quake3world.com/

or, if doomer deletes this dns entry,

http://mc.ciole.net/

EDIT: won't be switching hosting after all.

Last edited by mjrpes on 11-11-2012 12:25 PM, edited 1 time in total.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-10-2012 05:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
lol... it's funn you say that, I shit you not, my office used to be a strip joint.

Why does my life sound so fucking unbelievable all the freaking time?

I'm a geek, who hung around with really bad people who sold cocaine that went on wild adventures, had a gun in my face, avoided getting arrested with guns and drugs found in my car and I wind up working for the top IT company in town situated in the previously occupied sole strip club in town. I mean seriously, I wouldn't believe me if I heard me talking about this on the internets but if anyone wants to put money on anything I've ever said there are witnesses to pretty much everything.

Don't worry, no one believes you anyway.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-25-2012 02:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey so I tried this - Not a fan really

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-25-2012 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

needs moar cut scenes and lens flare i guess

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 12:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I dug a massive hole, hollowed out underneath and turned it into some massive bat cave. Cool, I thought. I wandered about the place and looked at stuff and wondered what I was going to do next. Anything was the answer, so I started to build a tower...I got bored really quickly after the initial burst of excitement about having total freedom. I dunno, perhaps I have been spoiled by games that provide an excellent narrative and have a good story?

Saying that I would rather play Quake 3 (Live) for 3 hours than I would Minecraft and that doesn’t have a story or anything of the sort. It is just fun...each to their own.

I can see why people dig it so much though and those people are far more creative than me :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 07:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you should check out minerap.com it's more of a survival server so there's more of a challenge to playing. Plus it's pvp so you never know what's gonna happen when you meet someone, could be friendly, or they could be very unfriendly.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd rather know that everyone I play against is unfriendly so I can blow the shit out of them with a rocket launcher

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I share that sentiment when it comes to gaming, well spoken sirreh :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2012 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I'd rather know that everyone I play against is unfriendly so I can blow the shit out of them with a rocket launcher

you can make rocket launchers in minecraft... jus sayin.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-28-2012 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

possibly of limited interest after so much time, but wtf: Minecraft: The Story of Mojang. pretty decent doc about how MC came about. also available as a free torrent if you're a poor geoff without $8 to spare

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-28-2012 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info seremtan. I figure it is worth the watch.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-29-2013 11:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-30-2013 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is quite epic in fairness - I would hate to think of how long that would take to build

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 01-30-2013 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the builders said it took about 100 people 4 months to make just that city, but that's not all they've made. The map has been going on for about a year, I think.

Other renders from that server (Westeroscraft) have been posted here before. You can even go on the server and walk around (can't build), but it was getting hammered yesterday.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-30-2013 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

huge build, tiny photo (filename: xlarge.jpg :smirk: )

pretty impressive stuff. shame the limited render distance in-game means you can only see about a 1/4 of the city at a time

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-01-2013 03:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Notch earned $101 Million from Minecraft in 2012...

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-01-2013 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Notch earned $101 Million from Minecraft in 2012...

The company did, not him personally. People are fucking dumb...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-01-2013 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet it took longer to make that city than it took to make the game itself...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes, they actually started building it before the game existed

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

olo

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
yes, they actually started building it before the game existed

Clearly this is what I was implying. :dork:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, clearly that was not what you were implying. i merely chose to pretend it was, for jokes

deliberate misinterpretation is a fairly standard comedic device

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-02-2013 03:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I'm glad we cleared that up...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-03-2013 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
huge build, tiny photo (filename: xlarge.jpg :smirk: )

pretty impressive stuff. shame the limited render distance in-game means you can only see about a 1/4 of the city at a time

Imagine all those nerds that vehemently clamped onto their virginity, holding off on all that fucking that was forced upon them, just to be part of this.
Makes it all the more impressive. Brings a tear to mine eye :tear:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-03-2013 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes, it's one of the tragedies of the human condition that doing things and having a sex life are mutually exclusive. how does anyone ever get any work done?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.