Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        History of FPS games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: History of FPS games

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a big list of quite influential games missing (Marathon, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Halo) but it's great to see what a huge advancement we've made in the past 30 or so years.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 01:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Halo did nothing for FPS games.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 01:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in another 30 years i'll be 56 and i'll nearly be too old to use the holodeck :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Halo did nothing for FPS games.

I don't know. I think it conquered a solid place for the genre on consoles.
Where GoldenEye paved the way on the N64, it wasn't until Halo that people in general accepted that yes, FPS games were well playable on consoles. Other than that, I agree that Halo was a 3rd rate game compared to the triple-A FPS titles on PC of that time.

Say ello to my l'il frien'
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasn't halo the first commercial FPS where you couldn't have more than 2 guns at the same time?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 06:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup. It also popularised the whole regenerating health system. It wasn't quite what we now see in every FPS; only your shields regenerated, you still had to replenish health with packs, but it was the prototype that Call of Duty 2 then took to the next logical step.
And it was also responsible for the start of the obsession with having vehicles in FPS games.

Edit: Overall, very influential, even if you don't like those influences.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-21-2011 09:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, streamlined online matchmaking services.

to top it all off, it made a lot of nerds very upset :owned:

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also never thought Halo was very good, but have many friends who only game on consoles that love it.

I have to say, I do prefer the regenerating health system to running around and picking up health packs.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
I have to say, I do prefer the regenerating health system to running around and picking up health packs.

Then you have no idea what true intensity is while playing a shooter. Regenerating health is like playing in god mode...there are no real consequences.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 11:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

Then you have no idea what true intensity is while playing a shooter.

Dude...really?

PostPosted: 01-22-2011 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

Then you have no idea what true intensity is while playing a shooter. Regenerating health is like playing in god mode...there are no real consequences.

I agree and dissagree. Some games ( COD ) with the regen health system seem ridiculous unless you bump up the dificulty level. Others, such as uncharted 2 have a perfect balance ( when recieving heavy damage the regen time is slow )

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-22-2011 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HL2 uses health packs and they're everywhere in enormous quantities, along with smg/pistol ammo, ideal for the gamer who doesn't know how to use cover and frags the hard way

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

problem with most fps games nowadays is that they want to tell some important story, and want the gamer to see it all the way through.

most players feel the story is not worth retrying the same fight over and over again., so the game gets a failsafe (like regen or 17 billion healthkits)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Dude...really?

I guess you've never played a game where you're at least 10 minutes from the nearest save point with just a sliver of health.

Nowadays the "intensity" only lasts a few seconds and all you have to do to disperse it is hide behind a crate. Then once your health goes back to 100% you go back to playing like Rambo. Truth be told this is a prime example of "moral hazard" in games.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
problem with most fps games nowadays is that they want to tell some important story, and want the gamer to see it all the way through.

For me, when I want to "see the whole story" I usually play it in "Easy" mode. If I'm replaying a story-based game or a game with no story then I crank up the difficulty.

Scarface wrote:
Some games ( COD ) with the regen health system seem ridiculous unless you bump up the dificulty level. Others, such as uncharted 2 have a perfect balance ( when recieving heavy damage the regen time is slow )

seremtan wrote:
HL2 uses health packs and they're everywhere in enormous quantities, along with smg/pistol ammo, ideal for the gamer who doesn't know how to use cover and frags the hard way

MKJ wrote:
most players feel the story is not worth retrying the same fight over and over again., so the game gets a failsafe (like regen or 17 billion healthkits)

Setting the game to "Hardcore" or higher doesn't just mean harder enemies carrying more powerful weapons, but also means less health packs available. For games that use regenerating health, the only way you can ramp up the difficulty is with the enemies/weapon tweaks...which IMHO severely limits a game designer's options.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 01-23-2011 01:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or the speed the health regens (see halo).
halo on legendary pretty much means 1 shot 1 kill.. the shield is sort of your second chance. but i agree, the designer gets limited.

re: easy mode. you and me replay games. a lot of people dont. they turn the computer off before the credits are done. theyre the same people that watch popcornflicks - they want to be entertained, they dont want to have to think or to be moved.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
re: easy mode. you and me replay games. a lot of people dont. they turn the computer off before the credits are done. theyre the same people that watch popcornflicks - they want to be entertained, they dont want to have to think or to be moved.

I blame the consumer.

PostPosted: 01-23-2011 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^this

Most people don't enjoy difficult games, i think most of us here do. I enjoy the small feeling of accomplishment by defeating a game on the hardest difficulty ( which i go to if it's unlocked ). Unlike morons who buy a $60 game, beat on easy, place back on the shelf and repeat

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Deathshroud wrote:

Regenerating health seems to improve the overall flow of the gameplay. Constantly dieing and reloading a save because you have no health can ruin a game.

Perhaps a health system that allows you to carry health packs and use them at will would better suit the genre.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No.

You're completely missing the point of there being consequences to getting hit by enemy bullets...which regenerating health and hoarding health packs completely ruins. In case you didn't notice, Mass Effect 2 has both regenerating health/shields AND health packs that you can use at will.

As to "regenerating health improving the overall flow of gameplay"...again..you seem to have no idea how gameplay actually flows when you can't afford to get shot at, let alone get hit. Play AvP (the first one)...I dare you.

I swear these kids nowadays and their narcissistic "I'm an unstoppable hero" approach to games. This is more proof that marketing teams have completely over-ruled design teams in the production of games. But hey, in an age where high school teachers are (almost) not allowed to fail stupid students I can't say I'm surprised. :rolleyes: :p

P.S. Both regenerating health and the "F5" quick save have made pussies out of gamers.

PostPosted: 01-23-2011 08:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're probably a fan of the health station game mechanic then?

I think ME1 had regenerating shields but not health, with the ability to hold medi-gel packs. ME2 regen health and shields was ass.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deathshroud wrote:
Constantly dieing and reloading a save because you have no health can ruin a game.

I'm sorry but this only happens to complete morons. If you cannot memorize enemy locations and strengths by the 3rd or 4th playthrough then you should stick to bowling. As I mentioned, the F5 "quick save" has pretty much eliminated the need to learn your surroundings because you can always quick save before moving into the next room...which doesn't really make dieing in one room (as opposed to dieing 15 minutes into a mission and having to reload) a big deal now does it?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scarface wrote:
You're probably a fan of the health station game mechanic then?

One of the most intense gameplay experiences a gamer can have is being within 50 metres of a "safe house" in L4D and trying to make it there through the insanity. So yeah...I'm a huge fan.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WTF = no Asteroids? Started in arcade machines and moved to the first PC quickly. I used to spend my lunch hours playing (in a suit and tie - DUH).

PostPosted: 01-23-2011 09:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To each their own. To me I don't care which health system a game uses, as long as it makes sense for the gameplay. Since L4D is a survival horror it makes sense to use health stations/havens. Health packs make sense for the scavenger type. Regen is over used in the industry, probably due to the ease of implementation and not having to strategically place health packs/stations, ie. war games

PostPosted: 01-23-2011 09:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
WTF = no Asteroids? Started in arcade machines and moved to the first PC quickly. I used to spend my lunch hours playing (in a suit and tie - DUH).

History of FPS games

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sometimes with health regen in games with harder difficulties you spend as much time hiding as shooting

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

I swear these kids nowadays and their narcissistic "I'm an unstoppable hero" approach to games.

lol, dude. Why are you so angry?

I know, I know...why am I so stupid...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's just angry because for all the ranting about consumers and consumerism he does, he has to go to work on Monday for a company producing consumer products.

q3w's fattest hypocrite.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes...I work for an industry that sells its products. It beats being a four-eyed consumer whore who sells toner cartridges.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus, calm down fat guy.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Toner salesman.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually it's IJ on demand commercial industry, photo and fine art hardware solutions to channel.

I don't believe we sell anything direct that's below £200k.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright now.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-23-2011 01:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hi

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.