Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dark Souls

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dark Souls

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-02-2011 11:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, coming out on both PS3 and 360, to be released this year...
Trailer!

It even has blue phantoms!
I'll be buying for the PS3 here, as there's no way in hell that Microsoft are getting any more of my money for the privilege of peer-to-peer gaming.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 05:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, day 1 purchase for me. I look forward to the torture.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you ever New Game Plus Demon's Souls brisk?
The PvP aspect can get brutal after the third or fourth time around. Old Monk in particular can become a real sticking point, as people have a tendency to "camp" him.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. I completed my first run at SL110, without realising the scaling for NG+. Needless to say, it was.. tough heh.

I used the world 4 soul farming trick with the red phantoms/soulsucker and got to SL180 or so. Made things a little easier, but you can still get one-shot if you're not careful, especially on bosses. Dunno about you, but I found armor to be pretty useless for NG+ so I just used the lightest stuff I could. A decent shield + fast rolling is more beneficial anyway.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, in retrospect, Demon's Souls wasn't as hard as expected... or rather, it was a tough but fair game, that encourages you to play cautiously and learn patterns. After the initial shock, I never really struggled once on any of the maps, bar a few of the trickier bosses.

From what i've read, it appears as though the developers are aiming to make this one tougher. I hope they don't use the "legendary" Demon's Soul difficulty as some kind of weird marketing trick and artifically make the game harder by adding in more random elements, etc.. the first game never felt like it was being cheap with you and I really hope this new one is the same.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 06:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, armour was never really important for my characters. The only things that affected armour choice for me were poison, magic and disease resistance.
I usually went for the dark leather, old rags or Executioner Miralda's set.
I think the world 4_2 farming trick eventually dissuaded me from chasing the top levels. It became more about continuous farming rather than just playing the game. The interesting thing is though, people can only invade you if they are your level or 1-10 levels below, so if you over-farm, you can pretty much guarantee an invasion-free time for at least one more round.

And again, fully in agreement. Demon's Souls isn't a hard game; it's tough but fair. I don't think I've ever had a single death where I've thought "That's not fair".
I once lost 8,000,000 souls during a farming run because I wasn't paying attention to the flying manta rays :o

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 08:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rofl, it's like you guys are talking chinese

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but lets all point and laugh at soapboy when he talks WoW

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Demons Souls isn't even an RPG really. It's fundamentally a third person hack+slash game, with a leveling system + inventory management. Certain weapons/armor work better in different situations, that's all. Theres practically no real conversations of value in the game either.

If someone talks about any game which you haven't played in depth, it'll seem quite alien to you. When people yap on about their custom parts in Gran Turismo, i'm equally at a loss, heh.

Really though, if you have a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play Demon's Souls. If not, keep this new one on your radar.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sounds exactly like an RPG :)

Then again...what game doesn't have an inventory and some sort of leveling system these days.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 02:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This looks awesome. I would love to play the first one, but I only have a 360 and PC.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2011 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
That sounds exactly like an RPG :)

Then again...what game doesn't have an inventory and some sort of leveling system these days.

Yeah, if it is an RPG, it's unlike any i've played before, Japanese or Western made. It's a very unique game in many ways :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Miyazaki may bring Dark Souls to the NGP.
Intriguing prospect.
He says it wouldn't be a direct port, but with other developers implying they may make games that you can start on the PS3 and continue on the NGP, it'd be silly not to include some interaction between the two platforms.
And it would be my Killer App for the NGP, guaranteeing a purchase.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Miyazaki may bring Dark Souls to the NGP.
Intriguing prospect.
He says it wouldn't be a direct port, but with other developers implying they may make games that you can start on the PS3 and continue on the NGP, it'd be silly not to include some interaction between the two platforms.
And it would be my Killer App for the NGP, guaranteeing a purchase.

:up:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-04-2011 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually fuck that, throwing a NGP at the wall isn't quite the same as throwing a controller :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.