Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-24-2011 02:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Demo is out today. Very fun.

Kotaku vid.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-24-2011 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gears of Warhammer

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-24-2011 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

blimey guv'nor, space is fair teemin' with goblins

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-24-2011 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It may look a bit like GoW, but it plays more like a beat-em-up than 3rd person shooter, relying more on melee attacks against hordes of orcs than shooting from behind crates. Feels simplified and linear for console noobs, but still very satisfyingly fun when you jetpack up and crash down on a cluster of a dozen orcs or when you smash one into pulp. I'd buy it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, they got something seriously right with this game! controls are very easy to pick up and feel natural almost instantly. very satisfying combat, super fast gameplay, great graphics and superb character animations.

A bit heavy on the cut scenes, but you can skip them.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 04:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hilarious video review of the demo. The reviewer is having seriously amounts of fun:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's shit

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
It's not Deus Ex

Fixed that for ya

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
It's shit

Refixed it for ya, rageboy.

Oh and I played the demo. Linear, button-mashing tedium, that shows every single trick it has within 10 minutes. God of War did it a million times better, with a likeable character, epic environments and amazing puzzles. Even that shitefest Gears of War has more going for it.

Basically, if you like spending money on shallow, repetitive button-mashers that have been done better a thousand times before, then this game is for you :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-15-2011 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
wow, they got something seriously right with this game! controls are very easy to pick up and feel natural almost instantly. very satisfying combat, super fast gameplay, great graphics and superb character animations.

A bit heavy on the cut scenes, but you can skip them.

yup, 8/10.

It was nice experiencing the Warhammer universe from a fps perspective. Melee combat is awesome and this guy makes Marcus Fenix look like a PUSSY.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can easily dismiss this game for being a mindless, linear, repetitive buttonmash-fest.
Would be partly right, but would disregard the qualities it really has. It's not groundbreaking, but perfectly combines familiar elements.

And what really makes the game is its health system.
No auto-health regain, no health packs; you are forced to enter close melee combat to regain health.
This, combined with overwhelming orc waves, prevents you from cowardly hiding behind cover, picking off shots (like I usually do, hehe).

Again, apart from the health system it's a pretty generic affair, but highly enjoyable nonetheless.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so like Halo with Black Eye on then

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
You can easily dismiss this game for being a mindless, linear, repetitive buttonmash-fest.
Would be partly right, but would disregard the qualities it really has. It's not groundbreaking, but perfectly combines familiar elements.

And what really makes the game is its health system.
No auto-health regain, no health packs; you are forced to enter close melee combat to regain health.
This, combined with overwhelming orc waves, prevents you from cowardly hiding behind cover, picking off shots (like I usually do, hehe).

Again, apart from the health system it's a pretty generic affair, but highly enjoyable nonetheless.

Yeah the guy in the video I linked mentions the health system and I think it's terrific. His shields do regenerate though, don't they?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-17-2011 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

absolutely right. The only reason I even bothered to post under here was exactly because I figured it would be nothing more than a button smasher, but it is done very well, and it feels satisfying.

And yes the game dynamics absolutely rules out hiding behind crates. There isn't even an action for it... you can't crouch and you cant look around walls. you either fight or die.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.