Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        it's official... we knew it was gonna happen

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: it's official... we knew it was gonna happen

Let's Get Serious!
Let's Get Serious!
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and nobody gives a fuck about it either

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I blame the owners more than the players.

The owners literally throw money at the players and then claim poverty. The owners continually do this to themselves: bitch about a salary cap and then throwing a truckload of cash at a player....then bitching that the salaries are too high.

If someone wanted to throw $10 million dollars my way each year I'd take it and shut up. The players don't want a salary cap cause they know the owners are dumb enough to keep throwing bigger and bigger piles of money at players to "be successful".

Just to be clear: I don't sympathize with a bunch of whiny millionare athletes. But if someone wants to throw millions at you, most people wouldn't complain...even if they knew it was all crazy.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

icehocky?

:icon19:

God
God
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the thing is that these guys are playing a fucking game and getting paid more money than god. And the term "cap" is very misleading. It's a pay cap that can still go up. A lot of people have lost their jobs because these hockey players want to be greedy assholes.
If it weren't for the fact that they have a union I'd say fire them all and hire a bunch of new players.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
icehocky?

God
God
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can understand why doctors make a shat load of money but not a fucking athlete. Sure they entertain millions of people but they also get to make a living playing a game and never having to do any real work. Take there salaries away and give them to teachers then see how the world turns out.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:
I can understand why doctors make a shat load of money but not a fucking athlete. Sure they entertain millions of people but they also get to make a living playing a game and never having to do any real work.

Yo foo....does a requirement of your employment involve getting elbowed in the face?

Pro hockey players do indeed "work".

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
saturn wrote:
icehocky?

bastard, theyre shutting down the devils for the likes of you >:E

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pfft... I'm all about Curling. :icon14:

God
God
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Jackal wrote:
I can understand why doctors make a shat load of money but not a fucking athlete. Sure they entertain millions of people but they also get to make a living playing a game and never having to do any real work.

Yo foo....does a requirement of your employment involve getting elbowed in the face?

Pro hockey players do indeed "work".

I'd let every single person in the stands kick me in the balls if it meant getting paid what a lot of these hockey players do.

God
God
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also I work for an elbow pad company and as such get elbowed in the face daily.

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:
I can understand why doctors make a shat load of money but not a fucking athlete. Sure they entertain millions of people but they also get to make a living playing a game and never having to do any real work. Take there salaries away and give them to teachers then see how the world turns out.

Hey it's getting pretty repetitive to see you talk like you know what you're talking about when you're obviously in dreamland with your fairyfuck buddy's but the fact is being a pro hockey player is harder work than most of us will ever have to do. It's not just about the job but your whole life has to revolve around this sport and your job just to be successful. When you factor in travel, training and actual play I bet these athletes spend more of their time doing things for their jobs than you and me do in a year.

I don't just say this causaly either I spent a year as an amateur mountainbike racer throughout Canada and I raced everywhere from here to Manitoba, I never really raced in a series in BC but it involved all my time. I was totaly devoted to cycling. The only thing I did that wasn't involved in training for cycling was my day job, which of course all the money I earned there went towards bike equipment.

Anyway... yeah I think you're wrong on this point.

God
God
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you see, your problem kracus is that you're an idiot.
these guys PLAY A GAME for a living and make more money than anybody. Sure they travel around but so do a lot of other professionals who benefit society a lot more and make FAR less money.
Nice try though in trying to equate yourself to an allstar hockey player because you've ridden a bike.
Sorry kracus, but I think you're an idiot in general and find taking anything you say seriously quite difficult.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Athletes live a fucking fairytale life. I hate all the greedy sonuvabitch motherfuckers. Put them on manual labor somewhere in a factory for a week making peanuts and see how they like it.

I hope this kills off the nhl forever because they deserve it. Sports nowadays is all about these overrated jock straps making tons of money they don't deserve.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats the thing tho, cardiff devils wasnt hyped by any means, i dont think theyre players were over payed and they close down the best team this side of the pond and theyre rink... its frustrating to say the least :(

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well you're wrong. GAme or not it takes up your whole life. It's like something you love and hate at the same time. Sure they get paid extremely well but that's beside the point. My point was simply that they work an insane ammount of hours towards this sport that they play be it any pro athelete. Besides, it doesn't matter what you say as what I say is truth, I know because I've sort of lived it, or tasted it briefly anyway. I could give a shit if you beleive me or not.

Just follow a pro athlete for a couple weeks. The minute they wake up in the morning they plan on what they will be doing that day and most of the day will involve training, practice, study or something related to their work. They are devoted, and you have to be. If you want to be something pro you have to give yourself completely to that goal. I dunno man, not meaning as an insult but until you've lived that life you don't know what I'm talking about. I'd figure maybe you could relate with university since it's somewhat similar but if you can't see that then you're just a lazy fuck and that's why you'll never know what I mean.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bdw3 wrote:
pfft... I'm all about Curling. :icon14:

word

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 03:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What happened to the NHL?

Curiouser and Curiouser
Curiouser and Curiouser
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jackal wrote:

:icon14:

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If the players are generating the revenue that produces that much money its only fair that they get paid an amount equal to that.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
icehocky?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is the death blow that will finally kill the NHL. Noone cares enough to bring it back. Both parties chose to be greedy concerning a product that wasn't worth shit. Good riddens.

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah this will definitely be a blow to hockey they might not expect. I'm not a big fan of watching sports on tv anyway but it's not like hockey is a big enough sport in the US for these idiots to cancel the season.

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Goddamnit not the AV's NOOOOOOOOOO Those guys are the only good team we have left. :(

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Good riddens.

bwahahaha

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a while ago i saw this thing on espn about a league they brainstormed up, seemed pretty cool, tho i doubt it was real, and if it was, that they could get it to happen :\

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Athletes deserve shit salaries, they do fuckall. Of course I could say the same thing about rappers, most musicians, and actors.

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then again they are simply exploiting a system in which the population that enjoys all these forms of entertainment lines the pockets of the entertainers and the businesses behind them.

PostPosted: 02-14-2005 10:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I blame America.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
I blame America.

i also !

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:
I blame capitalism with no restraints.

It's the system that's creating these situations, not the players or the execs.

Greed is the new enlightenment and self-development.

But if I had to name one job or area that was most at fault for a lot of our problems, it would be advertising. If there weren't such a hefty fee to project your product's image into the mainstream conscious, there would be a lot less money getting in the way of sports, and a lot of other things.

Last edited by R00k on 02-15-2005 06:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Players yield on salary cap

FROM CANADIAN PRESS

NEW YORK — The No. 1 issue that has plagued the NHL lockout went out the window last night when the NHL Players' Association offered a deal that included a $52 million (U.S.) salary cap.

The surprising move was made by NHLPA senior director Ted Saskin during his secret meeting with NHL executive vice-president Bill Daly in Niagara Falls, N.Y.

Daly began the process yesterday by offering a $40 million salary cap without "linkage" — a fixed link between player costs and league revenues, which has long been the centrepiece of the NHL's bid for cost certainty.

The union counter-offered with the $52-million team-by-team salary cap, which was rejected by the NHL. The players' proposal also featured more aggressive payroll tax thresholds and tax rates on team payrolls.

"It is indeed unfortunate that with the major steps taken by both sides today we were unable to build enough momentum to reach an agreement," Saskin said in a statement released early Tuesday morning.

The union's offer also included the 24 per cent salary rollback on all existing contracts.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greed

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Again...even if the owners got their "salary cap" they'd still break it and work around it to further their team's potential.

Greed. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.