Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Have you read The Bible?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Have you read The Bible?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 04:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it's safe to say most people here would consider The Bible to be a work of fiction. But nonetheless, it's the most popular book in world and I was wondering how many of you had actually read it. I started to read it back when I was a youngster, but didn't make it very far. I'm thinking I'll try it again, since it's such a popular book. Might as well see what all the fuss is about...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

read the Silmarillion instead. it's the same kind of thing, only better written, less preachy, and it has elves :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's also more believable.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading and understanding the bible is important even if you don't believe it, from a historical and literary point of view. It's more interesting when looked at as a historical compilation and not a holy book. It's also key to english literature, not because it's good, but because it's referenced constantly.

I read a bit of the old testament and all of the new when I was trying to figure out my belief system. It's worth reading, but not the kind of book you read front to back. You have to understand the history of the stories and the motivations of the author to understand the stories properly.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, that's part of reading and understanding it.

the "genuine, original bible" you refer to doesn't exist.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorted

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 05:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's one book I wish I would have read before I saw the movie...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 11:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What Etul said, the bible is pretty much obligated reading if you want to appreciate classical art and literature... a good reason to read it. I read all of the old testament ages ago but when i got to the new i sort of gave up before i got halfway, all the jesus stuff got heavily on my nerves.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never read the bible, but I did read books that condensed the actual story lines out of all of the other bullshit. I don't see how one can enjoyably read the actual bible as is. As a mythology, the underlying stories are interesting in a non-religious way, but actually reading the bible itself seems like something few people can actually enjoy to me.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The undisputed, undiluted word of God, as written by man, 70+ years after the events supposedly occured.

I grew up and studied at a primary/middle school that had mandatory bible studies, so I got to read quite a lot of it. It was a chore then and now i'm old enough to see the blatent fallacies contained in it, I have zero motivation to read it any more. It always amazes me how otherwise smart, questioning individuals just completely lose their senses when it comes to this book. I'm glad it is no longer taught in public, English schools, because indoctrinating kids with this bullshit (and not teaching them to question any of it) is testament to abuse in my eyes.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tantamount? - and i had the same experience/eventual viewpoint.

i guess if you plan to live in an area where most of the people are religious and potentially dangerous with it (i.e. parts of north america or the middle east), then it would be useful to have working knowledge of the local religious text - but you don't need to read every verse/ayah unless you actually want to be bored stupid.

there are plenty of other books that will hold a door open just as well as the bible and be much more rewarding to read.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Organised religion is a crutch for weak willed individuals, afraid to live their lives in fear of the consequence of their actions (or "afraid of the dark", as Stephen Hawkings nicely puts it). The funny thing is, if you actually read the bible, especially the old testament, you'll find better moral guidence in Ed Geins diary. Just read Sodom and Gomorrah for instance. Any true, "original" account from God has been so bastardised and distorted by men with alternative agendas over the years that the Bible is nothing more that a compilation of texts designed to control, manipulate and ultimately create a submissive, fearful society. The fact it brings in fucktonnes of money doesn't hurt either. It's fucking terrifying that our world leaders all openly admit to believing in this bullshit too, especially when they justify their actions by it. The sooner the world bins religion, the better.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love how Christians try to disown the old testament by saying Jesus ushered in a new law. when these morons do this...tell them to check their silly book Matthew 5:17:19

then of course...more idiotic rationalizing occurs as they grasp for straws....

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

Last edited by scared? on 02-08-2012 07:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wtf is up with this double posting pos phone?...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iPhone :olo:

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have not but being an atheist on the internet I know of a lot of the ridiculous parts.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
vidya

quality :up:

he makes an interesting point about the christian sects all joining together to fight secularism. in britain (a way more secular country than the US) even that hasn't been enough and it's now become fashionable to use the term 'faith-holder' - a catch-all term for all kinds of christians, muslims, jews, hindus, sikhs etc - and to talk of these 'faith-holders' belong to 'the faith community' (as in, THE faith community, not A faith community)

(blair was an exponent of this species of bullshit. he once said, apropos huntington's phoney 'clash of civilisations', that "we're all children of abraham" :puke: )

also, lol @ the mormon 'magic underpants' :olo: i'd forgotten about that

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read most of the Old Testament and about half of the "new and improved cause God aint so angry this time" version.

It's horribly written and I think the butler did it.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a lot of readers of classic literature here I see

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 02-08-2012 09:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read quite a bit when I was younger. I'm not a theist, but I prefer the Koran.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've read most of it. I never sat down and read it cover-to-cover. Definitely some interesting bits to it, and of course a lot of tedious parts too.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
http://images.4channel.org/f/src/589217_scale_of_universe_enhanced.swf

Cruithne :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-09-2012 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

minecraft world :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-10-2012 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where's seza's head ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2012 04:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wouldn't fit the scale :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-10-2012 10:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

while it's true that seza did indeed have an overly large head that was most likely visible from space, suggesting that it was too large to fit inside the known universe is probably pushing the joke beyond breaking point :!:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.