Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Tear gas. Come get some.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Tear gas. Come get some.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As requested a quick jail story for your reading pleasure...

Tear gas, there is nothing quite like the smell of tear gas in the morning after a (prison) riot.

Have you had the experience of tear gas?

Briefly, I had been involved in special prison riot squad training. Riot formations, baton and riot shield usage, restraints (physical holds) tear gas even hostage negotiation but I have never really got the full effect of thick tear gas until one of those few prison riots I have attended.

Picture this. I’d just taken out the new girlfriend to dinner. Arriving home the mother in law (to be) commented the jail called for you. We were expecting trouble, and this was the call for me to don my "batman suit" and grab my utility belt and then to battle. I was in "Charlie Squad".

I wasted no time in speeding to work, the place was in riot from what I understood from the mother in law they needed me. My mates were in trouble. What could be happening I wondered?

From a distance I could see a glow in the sky were the jail was. This was going to be big I thought to myself.

Well the police had cordoned off the local roads approaching the complex but I ventured slowly forward through the barriers just wide enough I thought. The cop slammed both hands on my new car bonnet screaming at me to stop, then came to my driver’s window with so much anger on his face. I was dead.

I screamed back “I fucking* work there, they need me now”, flashing my badge. Drama in hindsight now but the adrenalin was pumping. Any way I parked some distance from the usual offices car park, out of range of missile perhaps or was it I could get closer? Don’t know.

I jumped out of the car, can’t remember locking the new beast, all that overtime had to be spent on something or was it to impress someone, and grabbed the utility belt (thing of those heavy leather police/security type) .. I headed in thought the gate area.

*Foul language: Jail is full of it. Every time I reminisce it breaks out like a rash.

What a sight to behold. Through those gates I could see at least 1 wing on fire and some other cells in another wing (block) spewing forth flame. These main gates were usually interlocked (both not able to be opened together) but in the older 2 Division they were manually operated and both could be opened at the same time. Shit both were wide open, Officers with shotguns in defense, thick & full fire hoses preventing their closure. I’d never seen both gates open at once.

This was it, full on.

I ventured onto the compound (the area immediately inside the jail gate) to be confronted by fellow officers and firemen rearranging fully charged fire hoses. Shit they are heavy. My squad was getting together, I wasn’t late thank goodness.

What was going on I asked, how did this start? The answer I don’t recall, didn’t hear it anyway because we were off into battle. We had been ordered to support fellow officers on the front, loving called the Circle.*

*Details later but essentially a circular track centered around a 1900’s light pole covered into a cover from the elements for Officers to shelter. From this centre point you could view the whole division, especially the yards area, 7 in total and their respective gates, yard numbers on a little metal plaques, centered top of the access gate.

The Circle Officer held a substantial bunch of keys. He was a busy man aided by another Officer.

A Prison Officer would never enter a yard for any reason unless another officer was present at the yard gate. Some did but this was frowned upon. The reason obvious enough I suppose. Fear, because while not being scared to work in such a place, a healthy appreciation of what could happen was essential or should I comment that be common sense. You’d have the sense not to place yourself in a situation but were not afraid to go anywhere. I do recall entering yards after signaling a fellow officer of my intention, and getting an acknowledgement. Luckily at Boggo Road we had armed Tower Officers in support if needed and I have no doubt I would have telephoned them occasionally to alert them I was about to enter a yard (without backup) and needed their presence overhead.

I saw several prisoners on the roof of F Wing through the smoke and flames. Bastards were throwing dolphin torch batteries at us and some bricks even bars of soap. The batteries could kill you thrown from that height. Most of the officers dodged them OK as I recall and the squads had helmets.

Time passed and eventually the prisoners came willingly out of the wing on fire, who wouldn’t, and were directed into the (day) yards. It must have been about 10 or 11 at night by now. Strange to see so many crims out at night and in riot.

They behaved on the ground, no defense and near outnumbered by ready and baton wielding officers, but only a few batons struck home from my observations, those that didn’t move fast enough most took the blows. I think another squad moved in to grab those last players defending their scorched concrete patch, once their cell block and home now gutted by fire.

We had so many prisoners in only a couple of yards after a while. The division housed 126 in three wings, 42 a wing, 3 landings of 14 cells. Only a handful of trustees slept in a dormitory next to their mess, worked in the Officers’ mess and a couple of clerks for the Superintendent.

Get the picture?

It was getting late and someone (Management/Police) decided to house 3 prisoners to a cell until daytime. So many cells burned out but 3 a cell sounded fine to me.

Senior staff approached the yard gates and explained over the furor what was required of them. Well the place erupted again. They weren’t going to budge from the yards. A standoff for a while then a couple of triple chaser tear gas grenades went into the yards one at a time. Fun to watch them scatter I thought then.

The gas is certainly effective. Some of the smarter crims moved under the yard showers for relief. Didn’t’ they scream abuse when we shut off the water to them? They had to comply and eventually after some more senior negotiations they agreed to move into the cells.

Our squads’ instructions were clear but the gas so thick you couldn’t see you own hand in front of you. We entered the best unburnt wing firstly and then bodily handed one prisoner to the next officer and so on down the line like “passing the parcel”. I was at the cell door. Put 3 in and close and hasp it (slide the bolt but not lock) locking it later, move to the next, repeat. As if they wanted to be handled, some didn’t but most by now were readily complying with direction without complaint.

Well I’d never tasted tear gas so thick. We had quite a few tastes in training but this was different. It was so thick.

Now I’d had my tear gas mask on now for some time. I was hot and sweaty, a balmy night I recall. I was thinking during a lull in the proceedings I’d pull my mask off a little and have a real sniff. Boy oh boy what a mistake. The effect was immediate. I let go the filter and the rubber mask smashed it back onto my face in an airtight seal. I coughed and spluttered for a few moments and regained some composure only then to be handed my next “parcel”. The crim couldn’t tell in the thick of it I too suffered for a moment. God it was terrible stuff.

Remember I said instructions were to place 3 a cell. Well while not quite 100 % after my tear gas tasting, I placed 6 into a cell but had the presence of mind to repeat aloud to myself (behind a gas mask, all the noise who’d notice anyway) chanting 11… 11…..11. . This was the cell number with 6 in it.

After the mission was completed only seemingly minutes later, I called the Senior over and explained I needed to go in and sort something out. He probably thought I needed to personally attend someone, payback perhaps, I don’t know. He thought that because I said I needed some assistance, a few officers would do. Anyway I entered the wing, and by now the gas had dissipated to the point you could see OK. I still had the mask on of course.

I then ventured up to cell 11 and kicked the door a number of times, still noisy in there, lots of shouting abuse still going on. Prisoners calling out to their mates checking out they were OK and still about I suppose. After I kicked, I asked in a loud voice “how many in there?” and a seemingly meek voice in reply (tear gas effect maybe) said “six sir”.

I said “OK, all spread eagle on the back wall, I will enter and I’ll tap 3 of you on the shoulder, when I do, leave the cell quietly and follow directions of the other officers and there’ll be no trouble. Do you understand?” I got a positive response.

At all went off without drama. They moved to the next empty cell and basically that job was done.

What a night that was. Still so vivid in my mind. Thanks for the request for a jail story :D

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 03-17-2012 07:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool story bro [srsly].

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like it was intense. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that B&W photo is many years old and just put there to give you an idea of the surrounds. The jail still stands today, not used for 20+ years. Hopefully the government will turn it over to the historical society and it will open as a museum someday.

For interest there was no running water in those cells built in 1901. Read no sewerage so that had to use initially, we called them shit tubs. Later they went to porta-loo technology.

No water, ghee I now recall letting a crim in the block at around 8pm night time and he went around evey ceel offering the crims hot water for tea/coffee all poured through the little peep hole (observation) in those really heavy steel/irn doors. I guess a lot of trafficking (not used today sanve for drugs) happened back them, swapping/selling tobacco for one.

Here some recent photos I took on a weekend cleaning bee. I put them in the photo thread.

The gate in the middle is where the triple chaser tear gas grens went in...

This is an old (watch) tower and on one disturbance, I will put my hand up to actually loading (pump action shot gun) a round.
They quietened down when they realized I was pissed at all the abuse I was copping, but really shooting an SG at that distance into a yard of crims :smirk: I don't imagine would have been effective. Just awfully glad to this day it didn't didn't effect effect me me :dork:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 03-17-2012 07:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-17-2012 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didn't read, too teal.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 01:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading that whiskey :)

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Good stuff, thanks :up:

Ryoki wrote:
Enjoyed reading that whiskey :)

Yes I enjoyed reliving it..

Really the job was not that bad, and probably better than that of the Corrections Officer today.
I miss the officer comradery (or is that camaraderi?) sometimes.

Given a little time I'll drop some more short stories in here.
The historical society would like similar memoirs and I might just send them the link to Q3W :olo: :D for historical reasons of course.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Good tale Whiskey
I can just picture that bit in the car - 'get outta ma way you gumpy fuck i'm needed!' :owned:

Yes funny what you remember over the years.
I know he had to do his job and stop the tourist/ sticky beaksgoing to watch the fracas, but still he should have been prepared for staff attending.

Lucky I suppose I had my cap and badge on the seat otherwise I might have missed out on the night.

Unbelievable. Googled and found one of the era right here :tear: :tear:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 12:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good read Whiskey. Pretty intense.
Is the prison you work at generally a hostile environment or not? You're from Australia right? Are those prisons comparable to what we've seen from American prisons? Like the stuff on Louis Theroux' documentary?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Is the prison you work at generally a hostile environment or not? You're from Australia right? Are those prisons comparable to what we've seen from American prisons? Like the stuff on Louis Theroux' documentary?

Hey I worked, past tense in a jail.

Been many years I am afraid since I've been inside but those years were some of the best.
Too may 'goody to shoes' these days pehaps.
In my day they were really bad arses, rape, murder, arson etc. Tell you re some later perhaps.

I still remember on their cells when I first started in there, we had put the abbreviation of their offence, committed crime on the typed name tag on their cells..... Must grab a picture nex time I visit.... He's some for you to decipher..

A.R.I.C.W.A.W.A.D.W.

This means or did, armed robbery in company whilst armed with a deadly weapon.
Read armed robbery with another.

S.W.A.V.W.A.W.I.

Stealing with actual violence whilst armed with intent.

A.W.A.D.W.I.T.K.

Armed with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

You gather the meaning? Pretty old English stuff I suppose, but shit it was only the 1980's :eek:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how does one arm oneself with intent?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Intent to commit violence with a deadly weapon i assume...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Hey I worked, past tense in a jail.

Been many years I am afraid since I've been inside but those years were some of the best.
Too may 'goody to shoes' these days pehaps.
In my day they were really bad arses, rape, murder, arson etc. Tell you re some later perhaps.

Nice story.

Growing up I thought of prison as being a place where people who committed heavy crimes such as those you listed were sent but now it seems you can be thrown in for just about anything if you're on someones bad side.

It's probably an entirely different world than when you worked. Were most jails privately ran as they are today?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

r0n1n wrote:

...... Were most jails privately ran as they are today?

No they were all run by the State governments of the day, much like the Police and Hospital systems.
Today in Oz there are a number of privately run jails.

MKJ wrote:
how does one arm oneself with intent?

Usually means (did then) carrying a weapon before the event rather than grabbing the nearest weapon while involved in the fight, like a steak knife in a kitchen fight or hammer at a building site.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.