Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Droid Razr Maxx

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Droid Razr Maxx

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is supposedly the top Droid and they can't ship the thing. Ordered mine two weeks ago and the ship date keeps getting pushed out. Thanks Moto.

Please return to flaming each other. I feel better now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes.... No..... Actually, yes.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

another shitty droid phone or no?...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

read some reviews...another pixelated mess... what kind of moron buys a phone with a pixelated screen?...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does it have a 12" screen?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My dad bought one because he thinks apple users are sheep who pay too much for an average product.

I paid 99 bucks for an phone 4 that last 2 days on battery is jailbroken to my liking.

He paid 300 for a droid just like the droid that came out a month ago. It had poor battery life so they solved it by ruining the sleekness and putting a massive fucking battery on there. Genius.

When I brought this up he said "They have the same retail!" Right, like anyone pays retail for a phone.

Anyway he ordered his a few weeks ago and it got here in like, days. Dunno what ur problem is.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That reminds me of someone I know who owns a Blackberry phone and claims that the Playbook is better than an iPad. I asked him about this comparison but he's about as technical as anyone's great-granddad. "It's just better", he claims. Then he called me an Apple fanboy and a sheep.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems to me that it takes a lot of work to research your options, find that all choices have both positive and negative sides, and make a decision based on what fits you best.

It's much easier to pick a side. Droid vs. Apple. Elite vs. commoner. Sheep vs. freethinker.

It doesn't help that morons (and likely sales staff) are still pushing bullshit. I walked into a Verizon store knowing exactly what phone I wanted, told the sales person that, but he didn't let that stop him from trying to sell me a droid 2 times before we got the service sorted out. That and 30 dollar car chargers...wtf. "Those 5 dollar ones online break a lot." Or, he tried to sell me a case too, for 65 bucks. "You can't find it cheaper online." Of course, the moron just activated a phone for me that has the internet, but I didn't feel like being an ass in the store. Bought the same case for 20. Dicks.

Another friend of mine just got a droid and was talking about how he could get free apps. He seemed surprised to find out the app store has free apps too...(ad supported but whatev). Meanwhile when I was hanging out with 3 droid owners, they were constantly swapping out who was using the host's charger. Lol.

Last edited by EtUL on 03-20-2012 11:02 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would hold out for the Droid Razr Maxx MyII Touch 4G. 5.5'' AMOLED screen, 12mp camera, Tegra 4 SoC, LTE, two hour battery life. Ships with Android 2.3. Stylus optional.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the thing with all these android phones is, in an attempt to actually have a reason to exist they try to create their own visual identity , and instead of going with the obviously true and tried , clean simple design like my EVO 4g has, they try to make subtle changes that end up looking tacky and retarded.

I mean , look at those hideous off-beat angled corners on this retarded thing

sure, sure, there are going to be a few morons that will claim that they like it, and some even bigger morons that truly do, but unless you're a moron you can't overlook the fact that it is pointless and fucking ugly as shit.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
That reminds me of someone I know who owns a Blackberry phone and claims that the Playbook is better than an iPad. I asked him about this comparison but he's about as technical as anyone's great-granddad. "It's just better", he claims. Then he called me an Apple fanboy and a sheep.

LOL even better...just had dinner with my "apple users are fanbois" father mentioned above that makes fun of the people who put the stickers on their car and all of that. I agree with him, I got a case that had a hole in the back so you could see the apple logo :tard: I covered it with a old q3w smilie, this guy from cwm's site :dork:

During dinner he gets a text.

*DROIIIIIID*

It's hard to not tear into someone when you have to show them respect.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a regular razr, I have no problem with the battery life. It usually lasts me 2 days. And I don't give a fuck about the corners. I have it in an Otterbox and you can't see them anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
the thing with all these android phones is, in an attempt to actually have a reason to exist they try to create their own visual identity , and instead of going with the obviously true and tried , clean simple design like my EVO 4g has, they try to make subtle changes that end up looking tacky and retarded.

I mean , look at those hideous off-beat angled corners on this retarded thing

http://www3.pcmag.com/media/images/3329 ... pg?thumb=y

sure, sure, there are going to be a few morons that will claim that they like it, and some even bigger morons that truly do, but unless you're a moron you can't overlook the fact that it is pointless and fucking ugly as shit.

And then you post an image of pretty much the only phone that does this? Look at HTC's phones. There's decent design if I ever saw it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lots of other phones have equally gay properties. I especially hate that one though.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's shipping and due in tomorrow. Our IT guy at work gives it high grades. Of course his primary concern is security and control over work email content. We use Touchdown app to retrieve email and he tried to get Apple to work but it sucked and regulators are taking a hard look at remote access and security issues.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
...and regulators are taking a hard look at remote access and security issues.

Which is why businesses are gun-shy about Android, not the other way around.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-05-2012 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So - anyways - I love this phone. It's faster than my desktop and very stable. The ICS upgrade is due out in Q2. It is thin and light enough that I am not even aware that it is in my pant pocket (Insert small penis joke here). Buddy bought an iPhone4 cause he couldn't swipe open with his thumb while holding it in one hand. What a POS.

Android rules!

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-05-2012 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
So - anyways - I love this phone. It's faster than my desktop and very stable. The ICS upgrade is due out in Q2. It is thin and light enough that I am not even aware that it is in my pant pocket (Insert small penis joke here). Buddy bought an iPhone4 cause he couldn't swipe open with his thumb while holding it in one hand. What a POS.

Android rules!

ICS improved performance of my HTC Sensation. Especially the Android browser is ridiculously fast now.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a dual core phone using a single core with GB until ICS arrives.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When did you receive the update, eraser?

I also have a HTC Sensation, but still no update, so still on Android 2.3.4

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
When did you receive the update, eraser?

I also have a HTC Sensation, but still no update, so still on Android 2.3.4

Manually check for the update in the "about the phone" (or whatever it's called in English, it's "over de telefoon" in Dutch) using the "software updates" button. I wasn't automatically notified about it either but it did pull the update in when I manually checked for it.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I know.
I checked manually a couple of times this week, and just now.
I know they're sending them out in batches, so servers won't get overloaded.
I guess my phone's just in a later batch (I only have had it for 3 months).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tbh mine's from November last year so if age has anything to do with it, yours must be up soon then.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 04-06-2012 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I just turned the damned thing off and on, and now it *does* receive the update :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 04:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I downloaded an app called FoxFi (it's free) and I can create a PW protected wifi or bluetooth hotspot. Works sweet and no tether fees for Vzn. No rooting required.

Still waiting for ICS. Should be sometime this quarter.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 07:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just in time for Jelly Bean

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
I downloaded an app called FoxFi (it's free) and I can create a PW protected wifi or bluetooth hotspot. Works sweet and no tether fees for Vzn. No rooting required.

What? Wifi tethering has been a native feature of Android since version 2.2. Are you still on an older version of Android?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From a technical support point of view since I'm fixing these when they break down I much prefer droids and iphones over blackberry's. Iphones have some fucked up ways to get configured for exchange emails though, like some of the configuration screens are missing fields for vital data so you have to configure it half assed, wait for it to error out, then return to the config screen and magically the field for the server name appears, like it wasn't important or something...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-18-2012 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Unisaw wrote:

What? Wifi tethering has been a native feature of Android since version 2.2. Are you still on an older version of Android?

Tethering requires an additional data fee of $30 per month with Verizon.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-18-2012 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

only if ur a nub

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-18-2012 10:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unisaw wrote:
Tethering requires an additional data fee of $30 per month with Verizon.

Oh really? How lame.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when you buy data from a carrier, especially with a cap, it shouldn't matter how or what device you use it on. tethering charges are fucking lame.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think i'll wait for the galaxy s3 to come out before I update, as I absolutely hate the way the razor looks.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The looks don't matter to me. Most peeps wrap these in cases and screen sheilds anyway. This phone is so thin and lite, I have to search all my pockets to find it (I wear a noose and suit every day). It can be in my pants pocket and I don't know it. The rounded corners are a help. The performance on this phone is outstanding. ICS should be upon the MAXX soon.

Last edited by Unisaw on 01-12-2013 07:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.