Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Drumming progress video

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Drumming progress video

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been trying to learn drums for the last year and a half. Been playing guitar for 11 years but always wanted to play drums. I'm still not that good, but getting better. It's a lot of fun.

How do you like the drum sound? I'm using BFD2 which is great but it needs more tinkering than some of the other drum plugins, but it also has more potential.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Needs more cowbell.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

quit holding ur sticks like a retard....

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome :D

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also...the way u looked at the camera at :38 is creepy and disturbing...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

** he looks away from the skins to breathe in

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
also...the way u looked at the camera at :38 is creepy and disturbing...

"The eyes are the window to the soul."

Last edited by ALMighty on 03-26-2012 08:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
** he looks away from the skins to breathe in

Yeah, forgot to type that. :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also...I'm the best a rock band....

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

at

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck u...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ey ur drumming is coming along nicely :up:

i got an iron cobra single about 6 years ago

now i wish it was a double :tear:

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 02:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should learn on a real drumset

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Needs more cowbell.

:up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
You should learn on a real drumset

why?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, geoff knows nothing.

Nothing wrong with electric drums, good for home playing and learning. And not everyone wants to play real drums, especially if it's just a bedroom hobby. But you're just playing pre recorded samples of perfectly produced drum sounds, not creating sound, colour and tone yourself, moving air and drawing the sound out through technique as is the nature of acoustic drums. Making drums sound good from technique and your ears is as much a part of drumming as what you play. Dynamics are limited in electric drums, nuances in any single drum voicing is non existent, every hit sounds identical and perfect no matter how you strike it or what part of the stick you use. To get a real snare drum to sound good you have to learn how to strike it properly ie, if you want rimshots, rimclicks or just the head, where to strike the drum, ie, off centre will not sound the same as in the centre, tuning and choice of drum heads. On an electric kit, you can hit any drum in any place on the mesh head with a pencil or geoffs cock and it will still sound like neal peart just played it.

Real drums feel and sound better. You get physical feedback from them that you don't get from electric. Anyone who's only played electric is possibly going to have a bit of a shock if they transfer to acoustic. Just look at geoff on the acoustic kit,.. awful. He's probably alright on the rock band kit :olo: Electric drum sounds are so good these days they give drummers a false sense of ability.

Nevertheless, that's decent enough playing Almighty, keep at it.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its color moron...

anyways, my son's kit is some yamaha brand. explorer or some shit with a upgraded brain so it plays open hi hat in rock band...

i would destroy u in rock band u jew nose looking drum machine accusing dipshit...look up laineml on the 360 leader board and try to keep up kid...scared?...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

let's see you drum

or just stfu and pick up a dish towel

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 10:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
lol, geoff knows nothing.

Nothing wrong with electric drums, good for home playing and learning. And not everyone wants to play real drums, especially if it's just a bedroom hobby. But you're just playing pre recorded samples of perfectly produced drum sounds, not creating sound, colour and tone yourself, moving air and drawing the sound out through technique as is the nature of acoustic drums. Making drums sound good from technique and your ears is as much a part of drumming as what you play. Dynamics are limited in electric drums, nuances in any single drum voicing is non existent, every hit sounds identical and perfect no matter how you strike it or what part of the stick you use. To get a real snare drum to sound good you have to learn how to strike it properly ie, if you want rimshots, rimclicks or just the head, where to strike the drum, ie, off centre will not sound the same as in the centre, tuning and choice of drum heads. On an electric kit, you can hit any drum in any place on the mesh head with a pencil or geoffs cock and it will still sound like neal peart just played it.

Real drums feel and sound better. You get physical feedback from them that you don't get from electric. Anyone who's only played electric is possibly going to have a bit of a shock if they transfer to acoustic. Just look at geoff on the acoustic kit,.. awful. He's probably alright on the rock band kit :olo: Electric drum sounds are so good these days they give drummers a false sense of ability.

Nevertheless, that's decent enough playing Almighty, keep at it.

I started playing on an acoustic set, then I bought this one and played them both for a while. I always thought it was easier and more fun to play on the acoustic because you did have more control; it felt a lot better. I've had to set this up a lot, both the module and BFD2, to get it to sound and feel pretty good. Also the bass drum was easier to play on the acoustic because it bounces back more.
There is a lot of dynamics on the pads, but of course not unlimited like an acoustic. I had to change the curve type on the module to get the most dynamics out of it, the default setting wasn't as dynamic. The more expensive electrics have different sound for different areas of the snare; they are super expensive though.
I think playing electric drums is harder than acoustics in the sense that you can't get it to do exactly what you want.
For someone used to play on an acoustic I think you would get extremely frustrated with it. I guess it's easier if you couldn't hit very hard, you can always cheat and set the velocity up really high to make it sound like you're playing hard all the time, but who wants that? I've seen people do this on YouTube and it sounds horrible.
I see what you're saying, but I think there's a lot with electrics that make them harder to play too, at least if you want to sound realistic. Of course I would much rather have an acoustic to play on, all miced up and ready to record, but that's not an option for me atm. :tear:

What kind of drumset do you have, DRuM? If I ever buy an acoustic, do you have any you could recommend?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he plays a drum machine but has convinced himself they are accoustic drums....in other words...he's a moron...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
its color moron...

Only if you don't know how to spell colour.

ALMighty wrote:

1 For someone used to play on an acoustic I think you would get extremely frustrated with it.
2 I see what you're saying, but I think there's a lot with electrics that make them harder to play too, at least if you want to sound realistic.
3 What kind of drumset do you have, DRuM? If I ever buy an acoustic, do you have any you could recommend?

1.One of my schools has two Roland V drum kits, TD9 and TD4 so I get to play them every week. They're definitely good fun. But I much prefer the rawness and power of acoustic.
Here's a video I shot with my phone last year of a student of mine who's not been playing too long, on the TD9.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVCsHPabeBQ I showed juggernaut as he was looking into buying V drums.
I never did find out if and what juggs ended up buying.

Here's a video of another student of mine that won young drummer of the year 2011, messing around on an acoustic school kit.
Better sound as I recorded it on my zoom Q3 HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXmsDqqyOhY

2.True, but that doesn't make electric a more skilled instrument to play than real drums. ;)
3. I play a cherrywood yamaha 9000 recording custom which is very old now but still looks and sounds lovely. Tbh, loads of kits sound good these days, even if you go for midrange priced kits such as the ever popular pearl export. Personally, I've always loved yamaha, so anything you buy of that brand you won't go far wrong.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so u decline the challenge....u lose again...next...

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
Here's a video of another student of mine that won young drummer of the year 2011, messing around on an acoustic school kit.
Better sound as I recorded it on my zoom Q3 HD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXmsDqqyOhY

Wow! Very inspiring, I would love to be able to play like that. :)
If you can think of anything you think I should look into, please let me know!

DRuM wrote:
3. I play a cherrywood yamaha 9000 recording custom which is very old now but still looks and sounds lovely. Tbh, loads of kits sound good these days, even if you go for midrange priced kits such as the ever popular pearl export. Personally, I've always loved yamaha, so anything you buy of that brand you won't go far wrong.

Good to know, I've always liked the sound of the Yamahas I've seen on YouTube.

I was looking at thomann.de and saw this, it is the top seller there besides Millenium. You think this would do? Got any experience with DW Pdp?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dw_pdp_x7_rock ... ck_spa.htm

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
ey ur drumming is coming along nicely :up:

i got an iron cobra single about 6 years ago

now i wish it was a double :tear:

Thanks! Iron Cobra ftw! :cool:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 12:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drum, I've seen quite a few videos of students of yours, but I'd love to see a video of you playing. Is there a video somewhere?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Drum, I've seen quite a few videos of students of yours, but I'd love to see a video of you playing. Is there a video somewhere?

I'm fairly sure there was a video with me playing on youtube with pretty shit sound quality, but for the life of me I can't remember which band it was with, but will post it if I do. Tbh, I've not
really got anything on video of recent playing, only a couple of things from years ago. I really need to start making better use of this zoom HD and start recording myself more. I will make a point of recording myself playing when I return to one of my schools after the half term (as I can't set my kit up at home at the moment) then post it here. However, you may only be able to see my nose.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 02:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ Geoff thinking he can play the drums...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:

I'm fairly sure there was a video with me playing on youtube with pretty shit sound quality, but for the life of me I can't remember which band it was with, but will post it if I do. Tbh, I've not
really got anything on video of recent playing, only a couple of things from years ago. I really need to start making better use of this zoom HD and start recording myself more. I will make a point of recording myself playing when I return to one of my schools after the half term (as I can't set my kit up at home at the moment) then post it here. However, you may only be able to see my nose.

translation...I will never post a video of me drumming cuz I suck at drums and think drum machines are real drums....

dumb ass...

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
LawL wrote:
lol @ Geoff thinking...

:olo:

or

LawL wrote:
lol @ Geoff..

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 03:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
translation...I will never post a video of me drumming cuz I suck at drums and think drum machines are real drums....

dumb ass...

Stick to Rock Band, moron.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol i win...next...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-28-2012 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:

he plays on his dishes

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.