Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Recommend me some games

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Recommend me some games

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So long story short, I bought a PS3 last week, along with Tekken 6 and Gran Turismo 5. I've never owned a console before (aside from a SNES 15+ years ago), nor have I really played much on one apart from some time way back on a PS1.

So I welcome recommendations for games that I've missed out on during the past few years by only playing on the PC. Cheers.

P.S. - I've been playing guitar for 8 years - don't really care about Guitar Hero or similar titles.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how long have you been driving a car? because you seem to care about racing games :dork:

anyway. dont know anything about PS-exclusives (tho people rave over Uncharted so thats probably a good game), but good currentgen titles are Skyrim (rpg), the Assassin's Creed series (storydriven action, some stealth), Splinter Cell Conviction, Batman Arkham (action/stealth. awesome game even if you're not a comic buff), Saint's Row series (gta open world type game), Portal 1 +2 (puzzle).

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
how long have you been driving a car? because you seem to care about racing games :dork:

Shockingly, I drive a car to travel from point A to point B, not race it around the streets pretending I'm Fat and Furious. :dork:

I just said what I'm not interested in. The fuck's your problem?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uncharted is definitely a good series and even though I have my misgivings about 3, it still does action-adventure incredibly well.

The "Souls" games are essential as far as I'm concerned, although From Software are turning off the Demon's Souls servers next month. It's still very playable as a single player game though.

If you want a multiplayer shooter, you can't go far wrong with MAG, although the developers, Zipper Interactive, have just been closed, so the future's uncertain. But still, I haven't played an FPS with 128 or even 256 simultaneous players anywhere else.

If you want something different, as long as you're not too offended by Manga-esque stylings, Valkyria Chronicles is a spectacularly good turn-based strategy.

If you like third-person hack/slashers, you can't go wrong with the God of War HD collection, God of War 3 and Heavenly Sword. All excel at sheer spectacle.
Heavenly Sword is a direct rip-off of the God of War games, but the character acting is great and it has the single best use of Six Axis in any PS3 game.

Back in FPS territory, the main contenders for the throne on the PS3 are the Killzone games and the Resistance games.
Killzone 2 left me cold; it just feels too much like a poor man's Call of Duty (and I'm not that fond of CoD in the first place).
The Resistance games however always bring something fresh to the table and are great for some big, dumb fun.

If you fancy some open-world superhero hi-jinks, the Infamous games are pretty good, although they can get dull and repetitive if played in long sessions.

More as I remember...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have no problem, I'm questioning your logic. After which I brushed it aside and actually gave some valid suggestions.
you're welcome.

Or did you skip over that part whilst rushing towards the quote button.

Eye-like balls
Eye-like balls
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough, but I'm only looking for games that aren't available for the PC. I've played almost all of the games MKJ listed, plus Deus Ex 3, etc.

Anyway, I've heard some good things about Dark Souls before Mat mentioned it and was considering getting it. Definitely worth a buy?

I'll check out the other stuff you mentioned Mat, thanks. Sidenote: are FPS games as much fun on a console as a PC? I've never tried it, but I always imagined the controls would be pretty clunky with auto-aim removing half the fun.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely get Dark Souls, there's no question about this one it's worth every penny. I found Little big planet is amusing if you like platformers. I'd really like to get Journey but don't own a PS3.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm alright. I don't generally keep up with what's console-only and I like I said I don't have a PS3 myself so I just went with good nonexclusive titles that I know of.
cant be of much help then :owned:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You played DS yet MKJ? It's pretty fucking sweet.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assassin's Creed series
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Orange Box / Portal 1 & 2
God of War
Ico/Shadow of the Collosus HD remake
Uncharted 1/2/3

Should be enough to be getting on with

hies btw

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assassin's Creed series
God of War
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD remake
Uncharted 1/2/3
Little Big Planet 1/2
Red Dead Redemption (not on PC as far as I am aware?)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

worst thread ever...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Soul Calibur V. I haven't played this one (only got a PSP at the moment) but the Soul Calibur series is definitely worth playing.

Games I've played previous sort of versions of so am interested in getting if/when I get a PS3:
Gravity Crash. (Thrust/Asteroids inspired game with enhanced vector-style graphics.)
The latest Armored Core. (Mech game.)

You said you have Gran Turismo 5, well from what I know about Gran Turismo you should mostly play that cause there is a lot you can get out of it :up: :)

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Batman Arkham Asylum/City
Ico/Shadow of the Collosus HD remake
Uncharted 1/2/3

definite F1 for these, and another for Saints Row 3 (not sure if that's on PC).

are any of the tenchu games available for PS3? loved those things.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^This

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just keep in mind, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are different games, with Demon's Souls being PS3 exclusive.
Regarding FPS games on console, yes, if you're used to KB&M, the pad is fucking annoying, but the best examples on console take that in to account and design levels accordingly, and this is where the Resistance games shine. Similarly, while it's frustrating playing an online shooter like MAG with a pad, you can take some consolation from the fact that everyone else is as crippled as you (unless of course they're trying to use the Move controller, in which case they're even MORE crippled).

Regarding Journey, I've not played that (yet), but I have played the previous game by the same dev, flower, which is awesome. I said previously that Heavenly Sword has the best use of Six Axis, but flower is a very close second.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heavenly Sword's one of my favourites, let down slightly by long load times. A game like that needs instant reloads, something Uncharted is excellent at doing.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 01:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

It isn't, but half of your other game suggestions are.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 01:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

I like some game in between my cutscenes :E

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 02:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

uncharted series, journey, mirrors edge, pixel junk monsters, street fighter 3

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 02:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

It isn't, but half of your other game suggestions are.

Thats why I changed the list...or did you fail to notice that?

Don Carlos wrote:
Assassin's Creed series
God of War
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD remake
Uncharted 1/2/3
Little Big Planet 1/2

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 03:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You posted two lists! How was I supposed to know! :(

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could have read the thread? ;)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I like some game in between my cutscenes :E

Agreed, but still it's an awesome game.

I'd also suggest the first Dead Space.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.