Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Guild Wars 2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Guild Wars 2

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ive rolled an engie and a hunter so far. very fun game. if ya thinking about getting it, do. 9/10

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 09:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went for Ranger. I played a Monk and a Ranger in GW1, but since a Monk doesn't exist anymore I thought I'd go for Ranger because I'm familiar with that style of play.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-01-2012 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played an Engineer to 14 and a Warrior to 13 so far. Engineers are fun and the idea of turrets for temporary pets is interesting, but the kits you can use all suck. Warriors, on the other hand, have all kinds of choices in combat and I'm still figuring out what I want to stick with. Maybe dual-wielding swords...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2012 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Google maps type of thing for the GW2 world map:

http://gw2cartographers.com

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-04-2012 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never realized just how rectangular each zone is before. :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2012 08:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's probably because the traversable area in each section isn't rectangular.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2012 10:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last night I was running around in the Godslost swamp when the Shadow Behemoth spawned. I went over to fight him but the game dropped down to like 5 fps which kind of sucked. He's pretty damn huge though. But he went down rather quickly with only a small group of people, which was a tad disappointing. Definitely do love the idea of these chained meta events and things having an impact on the world. I read that in later areas, (failing) such events have a much bigger impact on the world which sounds pretty good to me :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-09-2012 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm, they should make it so that it says which professions can use a piece of armor or weapon instead of just saying you can't use it. Now I have to memorize and ask if my non-ranger buddies can use it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-09-2012 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not that hard to remember is it?

Heavy: Guardian, Warrior
Medium: Engineer, Ranger, Thief
Light: Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2012 11:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That makes it easier. Thanks!
I'm level 28 now. Wowww! Kicked the ass of some veteran bandit commander who jumped into some kind of Mechwarrior style robot suit yesterday. He was pretty tough, but not tough enough harharhar!

By the whizzle, Memphis is such a slacker. Responded to no one yesterday :mad:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-12-2012 11:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I always liked the concept of a lvl cap at 20. that kinda forced you to think over your skills and combos rather than gear and stats.
what happened to that? :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2012 11:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's still like that actually. I'm level 28 and I've already unlocked most of the skills available. I think the highest tier of skills can be unlocked when you reach level 30. Other than that, higher levels grant you stronger armor and weapons and it basically means you can walk through high level areas relatively safely.

I'm not high level enough to judge this but I get the feeling that anything above level 30 is just a means to keep you away from some areas of the game so that you're not tempted to run from one side of the world to the other side at the start of the game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-13-2012 12:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh by the way, anyone found the diving goggles in the south east corner of Kessex Hills? They're located near the "Isgarren's View" POI. Closest waypoint is "Cereboth Waypoint".

If you pick them up you'll be dressed in nothing but swimming trunks and your skillset changes to moves you can make while in the air. Then you jump off the cliff and make all these fancy moves.

I tried it but my aim was a bit off so I crashed head first into a pile of rocks instead of hitting the water. That wasn't very healthy.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-13-2012 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, there's diving goggles littered around the world in various places. Malchor's Leap is one f the last places I found some.

Going back to the talk of low level caps, ANet have really just increased the numbers, but kept the core philosophy. I got my character to level 80 in a week, which is how long it took me to get my first character to 20 in the first game. It's a very flat levelling curve, and you'll have unlocked all of your skills quite a while before reaching top level.

The only defining difference is the number of Trait points you have access to, which affect your build in increasingly interesting ways.

So it's still much more a game about player skill rather than the character being powerful, which is exactly how it should be.

Structured PvP is even better than the 4v4 in the first game, as it gives you free access to all skills and gear immediately upon entering the Heart of the Mists, with no need to unlock extras like runes.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-13-2012 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only goggles I found were in Lion's Arch, way to the west.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-13-2012 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You fags have a guild and I wasn't invited? :offended:

It's probably a EU server, anyway. :disgust:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-13-2012 10:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did whisper you Memphis. Oh well.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're welcome to join the guild Trans; yes, we're on an EU server (Ring of Fire), but we have a few people playing on different servers, and with server transfers currently being free, there's nothing stopping you from testing the waters and transferring to RoF to see how it plays :)
If you want in, just message me (Beowulf Wyrmslayer), Memph (most often Darkaxis), or my mate Gobhoblin and we can fire you off a guild invite.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also: I has a gold star :D
I've completely mapped every area, which resulted in me receiving 2 "Gifts of the Explorer" and a gold star against my name. The gifts are apparently used in the creation of legendary weapons, but I ain't touching them until people have properly discovered the necessary recipes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where do people like you find the time to "finish" a game like this in two weeks time.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anyone crafted using materials only available to lvl 80's? I got Jewelcrafting up to 400 with one of my lvl 45 toons, but the mats I have available don't make items that sell for any profit. I can buy the ingredients (the gems and ingots, like mithril), but once I make a rare ring or sommat, it sells for the same cost as the mats, plus a 15% markup which is taken back out by the TP, leaving me with no profit. I'm hoping orichalcum or someshit that I don't really have access to at my level will start selling for decent money. I just want to eke out a little bit of gain!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get quite a gain out of my chef profession.
My character makes a killer red meat stew ;)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 07:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've made armour at level 400 for myself, but not other people yet. Looking at the trading post, the exotic stuff (orange) does sell quite well and turn a profit, but prices in general are still settling down at the moment.
You're not ever really going to make money off of crafted blues and greens mind you.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-14-2012 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't been on in a week or so but yeah, how the hell do you guys get to 80 so damn fast? I've been playing my engineer exclusively and am only level 29.

Been doing events, exploring, and gathering everything in sight.

I swapped out cooking for leather working (is that what it's called ingame? I forget) and have it paired with jewelcrafting at the moment. I've sold a few blue crafted earrings/rings for low levels but it seems quicker to just sell the raw mats.

I'm waiting until the later levels to work on cooking to use the skill-ups as a way to boost through the experience. Although I have to say, cooking has been the most fun for me so far in the game with having to travel to various areas around the world and do quests to unlock karma vendors for special recipes and ingredients. I like being able to craft dyes as well....people eat that shit up for some reason.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-15-2012 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cooks craft dyes? Seems kinda odd for a chef to be dabbling in...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2012 07:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For those fancy marzipan colors of course ;)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 09-15-2012 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So many badges, progress bars, collectibles, etc...

Guild Wars 2 is the gamification of gaming :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-15-2012 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I just ignore all the achievement related stuff. Once in a while an achievement treasure chest pops up and I go oh gholly but I'm not hunting for it.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-16-2012 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I just crafted a ball of cookie dough, but it's an ingredient instead of a consumable, so I can't eat it. :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2012 10:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Eraser wrote:

I just crafted a ball of cookie dough, but it's an ingredient instead of a consumable, so I can't eat it. :(

Yeah you probably need to milk a cow, find a refrigerator and then craft a bowl of Ben & Jerry's.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That means I need to have Armorsmithing as my secondary so I can make a fridge. :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh man.. this game is like crack

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 01:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After dealing with a repeatedly bugged chain of mini-quests, I just need to kill the Fire Elemental boss in the Asura starting zone to get the last elemental attunement to my Matrix Cube Key to unlock the 'hidden' boss in the Thaumanova Reactor.

Looking forward to it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 04:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The amount of bugs I've run into, especially with skill challenges is horrendous. Fortunately they have a relatively quick turnaround with fixes, but there are a few that have still not been fixed :\

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-17-2012 09:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? Sure, I've only seen a relatively small portion of the game myself, but for me the experience has been relatively bug free.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.