Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Do you know about QR scanning?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Do you know about QR scanning?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just checking to see:

1. do you know what a QR code is
2. does your phone have a program for it, or did you actively have to download one?
3. do you even care?

As a good example of simple use is, quick linking to web urls without having to type out an actual URL.
Even better, it can be used to link a location to your GPS navigation automatically.

Both situations I want to use it for and would potentially make a user's experience better, provided, when someone sees it, they know what it is.

Would you click on it, if you found it on a map print out or would it just look like rubbish to you?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First...I'd fuck yer dad.
Then I'd cock punch you and call you a fag.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work.

QR codes seem to be more common nowadays. Can't say I've ever used them myself, but my phone does 'em. It'd be better if you could encode a music file into it or something more exciting than a fucking URL. Are we that lazy? The time it takes to line up your shitty phone camera so the program can analyze it... just type the fuckin' URL.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

old

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Nice work.

QR codes seem to be more common nowadays. Can't say I've ever used them myself, but my phone does 'em. It'd be better if you could encode a music file into it or something more exciting than a fucking URL. Are we that lazy? The time it takes to line up your shitty phone camera so the program can analyze it... just type the fuckin' URL.

that QR image is just a random from google search.

k anyway, url links could be very long, especially if you're trying to communicate a google maps url to a specific address and other data you might want to add which all have to be typed in url form... which pretty much nobody would bother to type in. QR codes are a great way to get around the substantial inconvenience.

You cant encode anything fancy on these things, unless you want QR code to be pretty large, with a very high numbered grid layout.
pretty much that QR code I posted would only hold enough info for about a 20 character long url. A music file containing QR code would look like a billboard I'd imagine.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 05:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know about them, and we've talked about them at work, but I've never seen them used for anything useful.

There was a dude on reddit posting QR code links to images in an iphone wallpaper thread, that was nice.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a lot of potential for shenanigans with QR codes, as you have no way to see where it's going to re-direct you to. AFAIK, there have been reported cases of malicious QR codes in the wild. They are pointless and possibly dangerous.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 07:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got one above my desk for when folks stop by and I'm not in the office.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 09:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never seen them used in a truly useful manner.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 09:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Got one above my desk for when folks stop by and I'm not in the office.

cool, what does it do?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 10:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Indeed. Qr codes have been quite common for a while over here now, but their inclusion is mostly to make some buzzword marketeer happy.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-25-2012 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh, just because marketards got their hands on them doesn't mean they couldn't be used for cool / useful reasons.
I'm pretty sure, I gave two perfectly good examples for their use.
A game like Zombie Run could do some pretty cool stuff with QR codes spread about in the city. :up:

And calling them dangerous is missing the point since most QR scanners show you their link before executing (in link related uses) and any tard that would use them in a malicious way,could do the same with a normal url link. :smirk:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Yeah

gmail.com :olo:

Kevin Reems
Kevin Reems
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 01:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're handy on business cards.

-Bean

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I see them used effectively in the techie magazines I read. Some of them have started using QR codes in a "would you like to know more?" context.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 02:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit if that isn't a perfect example of the exact opposite of what to do on a business card...

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks more like a "hoping to get a job" card.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It screams amateur in several ways.

Last edited by Ryoki on 04-26-2012 04:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not as much as the treat waiting for those who scan one of the three codes, which is kind of missing the point behind the QR code.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well to be fair, he IS an IDEALIST, after all.

FFS, Maz. o_O

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thread went somewhere.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 05:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like the cards!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, god damn I'm good :olo:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You designed those cards to troll us all?
Well played sir, well played.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

never mind the written content, those cards are fugly

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If the Q3W virgins hate it, it's great :up:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol at everyone else being the virgin. you pulling a romney bro?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Meh, just because marketards got their hands on them doesn't mean they couldn't be used for cool / useful reasons.
I'm pretty sure, I gave two perfectly good examples for their use.
A game like Zombie Run could do some pretty cool stuff with QR codes spread about in the city. :up:

And calling them dangerous is missing the point since most QR scanners show you their link before executing (in link related uses) and any tard that would use them in a malicious way,could do the same with a normal url link. :smirk:

Yea a QR code version of that barcode scanner pokemon style game would be cool. I think people are working on it.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
lol at everyone else being the virgin. you pulling a romney bro?

:olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Business cards might still be useful if you work at a trade show, or you own a restaurant and have a stack for people on their way out, but not many uses for something so analog in our digital present, particularly if you work in any professional industry. Much easier to say, "here, let me send you my vcard" or just... oh, I dunno... have them scan the QR code that's already on your smartphone.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
have them scan the QR code that's already on your smartphone.

:up: I have my email address saved as a QR code on my phone.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Yeah

Choose your destiny :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
obsidian wrote:
have them scan the QR code that's already on your smartphone.

:up: I have my email address saved as a QR code on my phone.

Great idea. So then people can easily scan the QR code from your phone's display and mail you what they want to say instead of, oh, just saying it.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-26-2012 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly. People love fannying about needlessly with tech so I've actually used it on quite a few occasions. It's neither quicker nor easier but it's quite appealing and the novelty is fun.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.