Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Games we should play

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Games we should play

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, as this is a game related forum and I happy to kill hours playing good games, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about games we think others should play as we have enjoyed them so much. So if we post in there the name of a quality game that other people should play along with a little blurb on why it is worth playing, it may give someone the opportunity to play and enjoy something they otherwise might not have tried. It can be anything from the latest AAA title to an iPhone game to a free indie download to an add-on/mod for another game.

My latest recommendation:

Bastion - RPG game beautifully made with quality game play and an awesome sound track to boot. The fact that the game is narrated as you go along is wonderfully done you get the joys of the story being told as you act out the scenes. Highly recommended.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's it? You're just going to recommend a game there's already a thread about, with people saying how great they think the game is?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Way to contribute, DTS. GTFO. :arrow:

Sky Drift - It's a simplistic aerial arcade racer, and if you can find it on sale on Steam (it's probably already $5), it'll give you at least a few hours' worth of entertainment. Slick controls (especially with a 360 controller), decent levels, but not much in terms of replayability or variety. Buy if cheap. :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll go for the hardcore option and say Dwarf Fortress. Yes, it's got a learning curve that can be politely referred to as vertical, but once you get a grip on things, there is nothing else like it out there.
Probably the best sandbox ever.
And it's DEFINITELY one of the best story generators out there, along with...

Day Z.
I'm currently giving it a break, as it gets far too tense, but it's one of my favourite games this year, even though it's a mod.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Condemned: Criminal Origins
It got overlooked because it was a 360 launch title, but it's the scariest game I've ever played. Make sure to play it in the dark with headphones on.

It's a first person game with the player traversing dark subways, dilapidated buildings, and one particularly eery level comes to mind in an old shopping mall with creepy christmas music going and some of the enemies pose like mannequins and jump at you when you're close. Most of the combat is done with melee weapons, you can pick up different items found in the environment from ripping pipes off the wall to finding fire axes, shovels, pieces of wood, and lots more. The weapons all have their own unique attributes like attack speed and damage, but they deteriorate over time so you need to change it up as you go. Every once in a while you will come across a weapon like a shotgun, but they tend to only have like 1 or 2 rounds in them and you can only carry one weapon at a time.

the first person melee combat works very well. Some games, especially first person shooters, don't really feel scary because you're armed better than most third world countries. The first person melee adds a sense of vulnerability.

[lol lots of edits, still early for me :o ]

Last edited by HomerJ on 06-17-2012 08:31 AM, edited 5 times in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or, perhaps a game you think we should actually play together some time, that isn't either Quake 3 or Minecraft (been there, done that)

L4D2?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Day Z's VERY good when played with friends :)

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HomerJ wrote:
Condemned: Criminal Origins
It got overlooked because it was a 360 launch title, but it's the scariest game I've ever played. Make sure to play it in the dark with headphones on.

It's a first person game with the player traversing dark subways, dilapidated buildings, and one particularly eery level comes to mind in an old shopping mall with creepy christmas music going and some of the enemies pose like mannequins and jump at you when you're close. Most of the combat is done with melee weapons, you can pick up different items found in the environment from ripping pipes off the wall to finding fire axes, shovels, pieces of wood, and lots more. The weapons all have their own unique attributes like attack speed and damage, but they deteriorate over time so you need to change it up as you go. Every once in a while you will come across a weapon like a shotgun, but they tend to only have like 1 or 2 rounds in them and you can only carry one weapon at a time.

the first person melee combat works very well. Some games, especially first person shooters, don't really feel scary because you're armed better than most third world countries. The first person melee adds a sense of vulnerability.

[lol lots of edits, still early for me :o ]

Yeah the second one also was extremely scary. Very good games.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Day Z's VERY good when played with friends :)

Indeed. But as you say, it's very tense. I'm also hoping they fix a few of the odd bugs, last time I played I kept spawning hungry and thirsty and at a random location on the map. PuFF and I would spend over an hour every time we played trying to find a rendezvous point before we can actually do any actual exploring. Game needs more food, hard finding anything to eat without going bandit.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before they added the need for firewood, I found that surviving by killing animals was very effective, but I suspect that's why rocket introduced things to inconvenience the survivalist player.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I'll go for the hardcore option and say Dwarf Fortress. Yes, it's got a learning curve that can be politely referred to as vertical, but once you get a grip on things, there is nothing else like it out there.
Probably the best sandbox ever.
And it's DEFINITELY one of the best story generators out there, along with...

Tried this a few years ago. Took me about an hour to realize what the fuck I was even looking at upon opening the game. I've read that Minecraft was inspired by it. A very deep game for sure! I played it for maybe two weeks before giving up. I might have to go back and check it out. I do remember some very odd things happening in it...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To play together (it's free): Tribes Ascend. Had a pretty intense game this afternoon. I basically kept running back and forth upgrading our defences and clearing out the generator room, but shit was happening around me. People kept supporting me or I could tag along with others so it was usually a group effort which was loads of fun.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-17-2012 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a cracker on Steam sale at the moment: Driver San Francisco.
Utterly brilliant and a steal at the price they're selling it for.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 01:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
seremtan wrote:
or, perhaps a game you think we should actually play together some time, that isn't either Quake 3 or Minecraft (been there, done that)

L4D2?

Always up for L4D :up: Not played it yonks, been hoping someone may come along and want to go for their expert achievements (just not donny, he's shit :p ).

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is still a fucktonne of fun with 4. Takes a while to unlock some Gold worthy tackle, but there's so many classes and weapons, it never gets old.

Also been playing some Civ 5 multiplayer with some ex-wow guild folks. Swallows hours at a time, but it's top-end fun ganging-up on and ransacking city-states for their shinies, causing world wars in the process.

I have a fully working PC now thank you.... >:E

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Endless Space

Got this one on an impulse buy a few weeks back and it's been one of the few games that i've actually been playing. Turn based space exploration, nifty space combat and all that jazz. The game becomes a lot more compex as the campaign progresses, which is not anything new, but it's really well done in this.

What's stunning is the fact that this beast is still in beta and it's already a far more polished product than many similar games in the store. Impressive :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>impusle buy
>beta

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
>impusle buy
>beta

Brink sucked

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HomerJ wrote:
MKJ wrote:
>impusle buy
>beta

Brink sucked

You know...I bought that game (after hearing nothing but bad things about it) out of some sort of loyalty to Splash Damage. I tried installing it but Steam kept telling me my CD key was wrong/broken/whatever and after searching a bunch of forums it turns out I was S.O.L. and never played it. I can honestly say that I'm in no way disappointed that I haven't played it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
HomerJ wrote:
Brink sucked

You know...I bought that game (after hearing nothing but bad things about it) out of some sort of loyalty to Splash Damage. I tried installing it but Steam kept telling me my CD key was wrong/broken/whatever and after searching a bunch of forums it turns out I was S.O.L. and never played it. I can honestly say that I'm in no way disappointed that I haven't played it.

You're not missing anything. It was frustrating because it was a Splash Damage game and it seemed like a solid concept. But the SMART system they kept hyping that lets you parkour was just a one button does everything type of thing so there was no learning curve. The body type and weapons weren't balanced, there was no reason not be a light and just run around spamming a smg. And the weapons on a whole felt broken - in order to try to balance the weapons they just made the spread bigger and random so the guns don't even shoot where you're aiming, taking out any skill based shooting aspect in a supposedly "competitive fps." Headshots are literally dice rolls. Not to mention it's a highly team oriented game and they disabled voice communication by default, so even if you turn yours on and try to talk people they probably can't hear you which makes public games oh so much fun.
Not an issue on PC, but glaring on consoles: no lobby on consoles, you literally just to connect to random games without knowing what map it is/how many players, etc.
Tons of bugs when it was released and very slow patching, the whole thing felt like a beta and it should have been a cheap downloadable title off Steam or like a Live Arcade title because outside of customizing your guy's outfit that felt like it was ripped straight from a 1990s WWF game's character creator, there was zero content.

whew

I could go on and on about how customizing character outfits and the color of said outfits just make it more confusing to identify one team from another and you can't tell what class the enemy is unless you mouse over them which is retarded in a team class based game (the whole point of being able to visually identify the enemy medics and objective classes is so I know who to aim at in the first place lol. Leads to way too many "Oh, cool, I ended up killing a random enemy engineer during a soldier classed task and the medic and soldier killed me." You don't really have time to mouse over more than 1 enemy cause you should probably be shooting at the first one your crosshair is on....) and having to level up to unlock skills is the worst idea ever but[/rant]

tl;dr: it was a failure on a technical level but what's more frustrating coming from somebody like Splash Damage, is that it wouldn't have mattered because it was doomed to fail anyway from the conceptual base it was built upon...the horrible ideas they intentionally put into the game that work are worse than the parts of the game that don't.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 11:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You just typed about 3 pages of text about a game we shouldn't play. You better mark that post 'off topic' :p

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-18-2012 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You just typed about 3 pages of text about a game we shouldn't play. You better mark that post 'off topic' :p

lol, I didn't expect anyone to reply to my crappy joke. I just wanted to talk with another Splash Damage fan cause it's the same reason I bought the game. A new multiplayer only class based shooter by Splash Damage? Yes please! Not so fast anymore. Haha, besides I made my condemned post, I can't think of many other "must-plays" that people don't know about....

The Stratagems is a free game that you can play in your internet browser that is a lot of fun before the late game (but the way the game is structured, it can take you months to reach the late game depending how often you play)
I was briefly (but heavily) addicted to it, but people were spending hundreds of dollars on it a month and they were able to bully the normal people that didn't want to spend money on a facebook game.

oh it looks like you can play without a facebook account, I just learned of it through facebook and logged in through it. Worth checking it out if you like strategy games though, at least before it turns into "pay to win" but that mostly applies to the late game, you can still get weeks-months of entertainment out of it first if you don't make enemies too fast.

one cool feature is that they have new servers opening all the time so by joining a new server you won't be super far behind everyone else at the get go since they're starting from scratch too and you get "rookie protection" which means no one can attack you for the first 7 days giving you time to get your resource supply going, research tech, and build up your troop count.

Despite the late game feeling like "pay to win" it's a lot of fun with friends. You can form alliances and resettle your cities close to each other to help each other out. Though if you're friendly you can do it with strangers too which can be just as satisfying....there are good people out there. It's also really satisfying to steam roll somebody's attack on your cities then counter attack or steam roll somebody's city who's paying real money and take their resources

Haha, good game for turtling Starcraft players who build a cool base and are sad to see it go when the game ends...albeit at a much much slower pace

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.