Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake Epsilon

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Epsilon

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-19-2012 11:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake Epsilon

Anyone ventured there?
Please report :D

google

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 02:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah if you want to be sure no one reads it, post there ;p

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Way to promote the only forum you're a mod of.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off Dultron...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Way to promote the only forum you're a mod of.

:shrug:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks pretty nifty. spent many happy hours at uni getting blazed with friends and taking turns playing the MP on 33k dialup. lag and packet loss sucked a fat one, and chthon's lair was unplayable (one big room) so we used to repeat suicide in the lava for the lulz, but other than that a funtastic time was had

SP is pretty good too on hardcore

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woah back in your day they actually had institutions of higher learning?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"back in your day" :olo:

or mid-to-late 1990s as they were called

oxford offered free 33k dialup if you were living out

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still better than Canada's internet.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

33k? And I thought my 56k was slow...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Fuck off Dultron...

So angry...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Still better than Canada's internet.

lol

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
33k? And I thought my 56k was slow...

we could have had a 56k sub (paid), but the university (being an ISP) offered 33k for free, student poverty etc

amazingly, we still had some good games, even with that pisspoor speed. the real arse-ache was the packet loss

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All this low speed Internet talk reminds me of Booger. What ever happened to that old bastard?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's still waiting to log in.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sonic.net 28.8k modem. lol, get off q2dm1 with your rail you lpb

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
looks pretty nifty. spent many happy hours at uni getting blazed with friends and taking turns playing the MP on 33k dialup. lag and packet loss sucked a fat one, and chthon's lair was unplayable (one big room) so we used to repeat suicide in the lava for the lulz, but other than that a funtastic time was had

SP is pretty good too on hardcore

whats the soundtrack for that again?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-20-2012 11:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
http://quake3world.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

I did search and there was no mention of Epsilon save my topic:
Just thought I'd ask :tear:

PS/Edit: I will load up on the weekend for a lookie :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I meant you should have posted it in that forum, cause that forum is for :q1: and all other :id: retro games. A mod could have moved it there, but apparently none care about that forum, not even the mod of it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 05:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7, what exactly is this Quake Epsilon? Just a link to Google searching for it isn't exactly helpful in the way that it makes me want to learn more about it.

Give us some info man, why should I bother with this mod or whatever it is?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thinhk this is what you are looking for:

metamorphosis wrote:
Quake - 15 years on, "Epsilon" build - free download for Win/Mac/Linux

I've been browsing the latest graphical/sound quake mods recently, and have managed to put together a pretty neat build using LordHavoc's darkplaces, rygel's ultra textures packs, the reforged packs and a variety of Seven's mods, to play the original Quake.
The problem comes when you have to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the damn mods working as playing the game!
So, with that in mind, I've built together a pretty happy-looking build of quake original called 'epsilon' for everybody to download without getting into the hassle of config files and reading every post in the quakeone forums.

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=77174

(I got that from one of the Google results via Whiskey 7's link.)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-21-2012 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Whiskey 7, what exactly is this Quake Epsilon? Just a link to Google searching for it isn't exactly helpful in the way that it makes me want to learn more about it.

Give us some info man, why should I bother with this mod or whatever it is?

Just asking :confused:

Sorry Eraser, yes perhaps I should have outlined more, but by way of explanation (read apology) I got it on a game mag cover DVD, then googled to see what it was about :smirk:

I figured some here have already looked because my 'neck of the woods' is a little slow sometimes at getting this type of new stuff.

Like metamorphosis said (somewhere)

Quote:
............... to browse the quakeone forums, stumbling to find the posts which detail what cvars and what configs/files you have to overwrite etc in order to get each mod to work. I literally spent as much time getting the damn mods working.......... I've built together a pretty happy-looking build of quake original called 'epsilon' for everybody to download without getting into the hassle of config files and reading every post in the quakeone forums.

I still plan to load up on the weekend for a look and report back here.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-22-2012 11:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grrr ..too hard to get it working .. get error message

You have reached this menu due to missing or unlocatable content/data
You may consider adding "-basedir /path/to/game"

Too hard to bother with I'm sorry :tear: :rolleyes:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: After all that Metamorphosis did to make it easy...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-23-2012 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
:olo: After all that Metamorphosis did to make it easy...

Thanks DTS for throwing me the challenge :rolleyes: I just had to get it working and I thrive on a challenge/puzzle*.

Yep, got it working and with resolution and a little FOV adjustment I am running around in Quake Epsilon :up:

* Did I mention here (?) my Samsung 24" monitor failed one day a couple of weeks ago and I went straight out to buy a couple more monitors (dual screen goodness I thought); bought 23" LED Samsungs.

Anyway, like I said I love a challenge so I googled as you do to find a probable fix.
I sent overseas for a capacitor repair kit for about $20.
It arrived so I fired up my old soldering iron to find it too dead :smirk: and the batteries had corroded in my trusty multimeter, so I couldn't read ohms, still it could read DC volts.
Found my soldering iron open circuit so I went out an got %40 off a new 25watt at the local hardware.
Short is I replaced some suspect resistors (they were in the kit with 16 or so capacitors) first as the caps looked OK..

Blow me away..
My old & trusty SAMSUNG 245B LCD monitor works again.
I then packed up those 2 new monitors for next time :olo: :olo:

Feels good :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.