Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        ouya + onlive vs warez?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: ouya + onlive vs warez?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 06:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so ouya has an agreement with onlive. if this kicks in, a lot of people will get cheap access to high end games. this is interesting in itself but i've got another question:

if streaming games becomes the main mode of delivery, where does this put the warez-scene? [section left to the reader: server side content] ~ on the other hand: even games like world of warcraft, keeping a lot of content on the server side, are not immune to warez: the modus operandi is to use third party addons installed on many clients to harvest the server side data. after enough time, you can use this data to host private servers. depending on the exact technology, this might very well be possible for game streaming services.

what are your thoughts?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think it would be any different than modded or jailbroken hardware.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm? there's two aspects to playing a game: content and calculations. if both are not happening/stored on your system, how do circumvent the supplier?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Movies on iTunes are stored on the server. When you rent a movie, you pay with your iTunes account and it gets streamed to your computer/Apple TV/etc. A jailbroken Apple TV allows you to circumvent the purchasing features and watch programs for free.

Not sure if this translates directly with services like Onlive, but I suppose it's plausible.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-30-2012 07:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

uhh, you cant get free itunes movies with a jailbroken ATV. you can however install 3rd party programs like XBMC to stream your own shit from a NAS in any format you choose.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On some of the older Apple TV's and jailbreaking mods you could. They've tightened up security since then.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.