Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        mars landing

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: mars landing

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 02:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks cool, dunno about the presentation style... hope it lands :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 02:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw this on Michio Kaku's site before.
Impressive how they figured out the landing, but they didn't say what it's going to do when it gets there, which makes it a bit meh in the end :|

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's due to land in 5 days. there will be some kind of nasa coverage when the time comes.
more info here:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/mission/rover/

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what's the difference between this Mars Rover and the previous Mars Rover, that landed and sent back info? Just a different area of the planet?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

better equipment all around... more detailed analysis on soil samples, etc. Just read the info on that site you lazy bum.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did read what you linked to. The page you linked to does not include any info about the previous Mars Rover for comparison :dork:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, you could probably ask Google the same question and it would probably give you the answer.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, for starters, it's about the size of a small car. Hence the need for such a sophisticated landing sequence. You can't just parachute down or bounce on a landing bag like the other two. The MSL will contain a much more advanced manipulator arm and drill to dig deeper into the soil and break open rocks, and a full range of spectrometer instruments to determine the composition of samples. Also note the lack of solar panels - it's packing plutonium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_Laboratory

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that reminds me i have the hot wheels mars stuff somewhere

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-Sojour ... B000EKED6I

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
looks cool, dunno about the presentation style... hope it lands :up:

i hope so it. looks completely awesome in every way

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Also note the lack of solar panels - it's packing plutonium.

Isn't that going to be a massive environmental hazard if it crashes on Earth? Wasn't that the reason for there being no nuclear-powered spacecraft? I read on the Wiki that it's non-fissile; it's still radioactive, though (that's how it works); isn't that still dangerous? :offended:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
You know, you could probably ask Google the same question and it would probably give you the answer.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, I didn't know the rover was so close to landing. :up:

The video was a bit on the dramatic side, but a good reminder nonetheless. That power supply looks like it'll last for 14 years before power output drops significantly. I wonder how long the rover will last (assuming it survives the landing)?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was gonna mention it a day before it happened just so you morons might actually remember to check it out.

And yeah, having a set amount of energy is kind of disappointing since the previous rover was able to surpass all expectations ... kept going much longer than expected, and a big part of that wouldn't be possible without solar panels' "renewable" energy source.

Granted, this one is much bigger, it would probably need to haul around a massive amount of solar panel surface area, so it was probably not the best solution.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, a wind turbine would do the trick. :up:

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you just --

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

yes it would, were it not for the fact that surface atmospheric pressure on Mars is a fraction of what it is on Earth, thereby rendering turbines useless

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope it lands too. The rover is powered by a small nuclear engine ffs AWESOME.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-31-2012 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Transient wrote:

yes it would, were it not for the fact that surface atmospheric pressure on Mars is a fraction of what it is on Earth, thereby rendering turbines useless

And here I thought that the only hurdle was the giant turbine sticking off the top of the rover. :(

Edit: I should scroll down all the way before replying. LOL Tsakali. :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And yet most people in the world are wondering if their favorite soap opera is on that night.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, this looks pretty wicked. I hope this bad boy lands safe and sound. I recall reading about the launch but I kinda forgot about it. The landing process seems quite complex to be fully automated but assuming they've thought it through properly we may have some nice feeds coming from Mars soon.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-01-2012 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no comment from geoff. he must be in denial.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there is a pretty badass interactive solar system engine here with all kinds of info. shows where the rover is at right now, the speed / distance from mars etc.

http://eyes.nasa.gov/launch2.html?docum ... sl/edl.xml

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ good stuff :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didn't happen

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
^ good stuff :up:

the more I look around the more cool stuff I see.
oh btw the rover now seems to be speeding up as mars' gravity is starting to get more of a grip on it. Last night it was just under 8,000 mph, and now it's at 8,000 flat. I'm guessing it's the gravity anyway. And mars seems ever so slightly bigger in view...I'm totally nerding out over this simulator

This is the kind of shit that can grab public attention. :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's kinda funny how they are totally ignoring pluto in this simulator. I mean ok we get it, it's not a planet, but it has historic significance in space exploration and discovery, they should at least include it in there but categorize it for what it is.

Maybe it's too far off view? LOL haters gonna hate etc.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, make sure you click on the "Close MSL EDL" button that will add trajectories to everything and makes it easier to grasp wtf is going on.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but it is asking me to install java.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-03-2012 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

do it. it's not like it's asking you to turn gay, ffs.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-04-2012 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the XBox 360 they've got an app up that allows you to watch the landing live as it happends. There's also some informative videos and some free Kinect game.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-04-2012 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
there is a pretty badass interactive solar system engine here with all kinds of info. shows where the rover is at right now, the speed / distance from mars etc.

http://eyes.nasa.gov/launch2.html?docum ... sl/edl.xml

That was marvelous.

Went looking for the topic as the landing now is so close.
Cross your fingers :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-04-2012 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember hearing about this a while back, sounds ballsy !, landing a a car sized nuclear powered rover on mars using rockets, Hendrix couldnt come up with that shit !. Never thought id see it take off as it seemed a bit wild but fantastic to see it so close !, just hope it works :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.