Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Mobile Friendly Stylesheet

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 

Would use enjoy a mobile friendly format of Q3W?
Yes  69%  [ 16 ]
No  30%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 23
Topic Starter Topic: Mobile Friendly Stylesheet

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 12:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I often browse this forum on my internet enabled cellular smartphone and/or tablet device.
How many of you would enjoy and take advantage of a mobile friendly format? Is this something you would like MKJ to make for us?

Everyone's opinion is valued, please vote.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While I have no problems reading Q3W as it is on my mobile, a dedicated mobile CSS would definitely be an improvement.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would be nice, yes.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 12:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Galaxy S3 owners don't need a mobile version as their screen is large enough to browse the full site.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Galaxy S3 owners don't need a mobile version as their screen is large enough to browse the full site.

This.

On my S3 it's fine, on my iPhone it's a pain. No troll.

Plus tablet users would get annoyed with having to re-select desktop view all the time.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3W appears just fine on my Note, but I can imagine that on a smaller screen it would suck. If MKJ has time I'd say that would be a neat thing to have.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Plus tablet users would get annoyed with having to re-select desktop view all the time.

Just request the desktop version of the site. The browser remembers this for each site individually I think. At least Google Chrome on Android does.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a definite yes from me. If people are concerned with how it will appear on various devices, we could always try to implement a "responsive" design. It would take some extra work, but might be worth it in the end.

Here is a good resource for those who aren't familiar: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/resp ... eb-design/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 07:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This would be awesome.

Does MKJ actually have the skills for this? Or is that a joke I missed?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ this thread turning into fandriod dickwaving

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, look at me, I have a phone that's bigger than my face so I can browse Q3W, yet it's so big I can't fit it into my pocket, so I'll go out and buy a dedicated phone case that I can strap to my waist with several square feet of Velcro, oh and I also have a Bluetooth headset that I can yell into so everyone will think I'm talking important bizness when really there is no one on the line.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 08:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ the butthurt iFags who can't even browse Q3W without a mobile format. :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would anyone waste data loading this site from their phone? Can't u fags stay away long enough until you get home?

Something tells me if several of you had your phone ripped out of your hands (where it most likely is 24/7) and thrown into a fire pit your entire lives would crumble.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 09:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited data plan. So I don't have to worry about that. Plus I travel constantly, so browsing on my iPhone and iPad is convenient...

It would be nice to have a mobile format, but not a must...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have chrome on my tab set to 'use desktop site' as default for all sites without any problems. then again, if you've got less than 10" to play with (hurr durr) you might find a mobile version useful

tl;dr - yeah, whatever

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q3w works great on my s3

Perfect even

I seen to have enough data where it instant issue

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

You can filter tablets out serverside so they won't get the mobile site. Reason most sites don't do this is because their webmasters are lazy or the management doesn't want pay for the extra work (which is very little)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 11:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do normally get paid to do stuff like this so someone must think I have the skills. Time I can make.

The problem lies in that I don't have any access to the servers but more importantly, the parsed code of this site is about 15 years old. Not too suitable a for responsive or even adaptive solution.
That would mean rewriting large chunks of code in the templates (requires server access, if only for testing) or using javascript to clean up the code with each page request (slow to load, doubly so on a mobile device).

So. Yeah.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tapatalk.

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

please update all your avatars for the Retina Display on iPad. this site looks like pixelated shit and i'm sick of it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Tapatalk.

pretty sure that requires a tapatalk plugin installed on the forum.
that is, last I tried it :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
please update all your avatars for the Retina Display on iPad. this site looks like pixelated shit and i'm sick of it.

first world problems

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
lol @ the butthurt iFags who can't even browse Q3W without a mobile format. :olo:

I don't own an iPhone. I'm just laughing at the people in here measuring each others e-penises based on the size of their iDroid. GFY is 100% right about those of you who have a phone glued to their face, your life is really that mundane that you can't live without it. I'm willing to bet that those phones have done zero for productivity and most of you only own one for the social status of being sheep of the month until the next iGalaxy S5.2G Rev3 rolls out from the suicide factory in China. :olo:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sure.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

suicide factory in China :olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I don't own an iPhone. I'm just laughing at the people in here measuring each others e-penises based on the size of their iDroid. GFY is 100% right about those of you who have a phone glued to their face, your life is really that mundane that you can't live without it. I'm willing to bet that those phones have done zero for productivity and most of you only own one for the social status of being sheep of the month until the next iGalaxy S5.2G Rev3 rolls out from the suicide factory in China. :olo:

ITT we learn that obsidian has only ever made phone calls with his current-gen smartphone.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 01:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
sure.

Not sure though...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 04:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

lol who gives a shit what other morons think about what phone they have? I've got a phone where I don't need any modifications to browse properly and laugh at dickheads who purchase a phone that can't.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 04:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoa!

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lotta carin' there bro...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Doombrain wrote:
sure.

Not sure though...

hehe

Kevin Reems
Kevin Reems
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got an old HTC G2 running Opera Mobile and don't have any problems viewing the site as-is. But then I keep my browser set to desktop because I can't stand most of the mobile versions of websites.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who the funk? :ducky:

Site works fine for me on my mobile but I rarely view it in that case. I have day dreams about throwing my phone in a firepit or the ocean or the woods.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 09:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of people here derive their social status from their phones hm?

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 10:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good thing I have the best and most expensive one.

Sent from my iPhone 5, the best thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone. http://www.apple.com/iphone

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.